Hobbies: flyfishing and banjo playing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baard, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

Apart from playing the guitar, I have started to stray to other activities, when it comes to relaxing and having fun. Gigging, although fun, is a half job for me, and I rarely play my guitar if i´m not gigging, these days. But this summer i´ve refreshed an old hobby of mine, fishing. I have even taken up fly fishing, and that´s something totally different from what I´m used to. It´s great to just grab the rod and go for a quiet hour or two in the morning or evening. :)

I´ve also considered learning the banjo, but I guess it´s pretty much a too loud instrument, to practice on at home, compared to electric with earphones, so that might lead to frustrations at home, as we live in a flat and not a house.. But there is a evening class just down the road from me, so i´m tempted to give it a try. And I already chew tobacco, so the only thing I´ll be missing is the straw hat ! Well well.

Baard

2. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

I just can't get the hang of casting. I have a really nice graphite fly rod too..

3. lenny

lenny Banned

i love fly fishing. i'm lucky to live across the street from the long island sound, and the fishing for bluefish and striped bass is excellent. we also have some streams and lakes to catch trout and largemouth bass nearby.
    catching a bluefish on a fly rod is something else! they are really strong, and they jump and go crazy, then they'll even try to bite you when out of the water! great hobby it is, it's one i will do when i'm an old man and cant do anything else anymore :p

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You just have to be careful not to drop the banjo in the water, even fish run from the sound of a banjo!

Jake

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I love Surf Fishing !!!!
    That's my all-time favorite, alas I'm too far from The Sea. Fresh water's allright too.
    I've got a fly rod but frankly I'm way too impatient to have to deal with the rituals of fly. Just give me an open face spinning reel and I'm a happy guy, I do own a couple of Quantum Predator Bait Casters but they can be
    a pain in the butt too, I'm most happy with my old Zebco
    XB65 or my Mitchell.

6. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Violin & Ham Radio

Learning the violin.
    Talk about walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Got started with Ham radio years ago.
    Like to operate CW, Morse Code.
    Te-Tec radio fan.

Jamie

7. whiteriot

whiteriot Tele-Meister

im a huge fan of fishing

i go with my dad out in long island sound all the time, blues, stripers, flounder and tons of other stuff

i hate those stupid sea robins though

i go fly fishing too in upstate new york where we catch tons of wild trout but theres not many places in CT to do good freshwater fishing

ive done saltwater fly fishing too but i hate doin it off a rocking boat

my all time favorite place to fish is definitly cape cod

8. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Lucky

Hey Baard,
    I'm lucky in that I live in Fly Fishing paradise. Folks come from all over the world to fish here. In fact, I've got 5 of the top 10 trout streams in North America within 1 hour of my front door. And 2 of those are within 5 min of my house. But I don't get out near enough. Seems like there is always some good reason not to head on out.

But you're correct it sure can be relaxing.

Paul Green

9. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Re: Lucky

:eek:

Uh, I think I need to schedule a trip through Jackson Hole!

Two things that cant be beat:

1) Early in the morning, freshly caught trout and eggs fryin up in a pan, by the stream you just caught em in!

2) Early in the morning, freshly caught Blue-Gil and eggs fryin up in a pan, by the stream you just caught em in!

10. lenny

lenny Banned

fried in bacon grease!
    i agree praiser
    (lol praiser i just sort of cracked myself up)

11. Rick S

Rick S Tele-Meister

Hobbies and careers

I thought Baard's post was interesting because I was involved in tournament bass fishing at the professional level and it was about the time my schedule had become hectic that I started playing guitar again. I suppose no matter what you do, every man needs his escape time activitiy.

Banjo sounds like a great idea. They have mutes for those, so they aren't so blasted loud to practice. Go for it Baard!
    Rick S

12. Ptrallan01

Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

Fising and tele's

Seem to go together. I am a transplanted Bronx Boy who misses fishing the sound so bad it HURTS!!!!

I loved getting a party boat out of city island going up to the power plant in New Haven(?) for Black fish in October/November or Smithtown for Porgies in the summer, and catching snapper blues off the shore at city island and, oh well you get the picture.

Now I live across the street from the world best subdivision pond and fly fish for large mouth bass in the 3 to 5 lb range which ain't bad 40 miles outside of chicago.

I also have a violin but in order to maintain marital bliss it stays in its case most of the time. Old saying, There are two ways to make people cry on a violin. 1 Play it good
    2 Play it bad.

And for a really good breakfast fried porgies, with grits that are smoothered in onions and some fried plantains. Um yum.

Peter

13. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Holic

Re: Lucky

Paul I know you think you have some of the best fishing in your area, but the truth be told its only second best
    ;) I would have to say that the East Walker near Bridgport Ca is as good as anything anywhere. but remember that the worse day fishing is better than the best day working. as for lake fishing we have the best fresh water lake in the world not more than a mile from my house. A friend of mine cought a 32 pound trout a few years ago, my largest one is only 7 pounds.

Bob (welcome to Lake Tahoe now go home) Peart

14. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Hey I love to fish, and it just so happens that I have a banjo! Ain't much of a banjo player though :lol: .

Funny thing is the highest paying gig I ever had in my life was for playing banjo!

I ain't much of a fisherman either, but I enjoy getting out there and relaxing by the water with a few of the appropriate bottled barley products. :D I've watched 'em fly fishing on TV, and I've never tried it myself, but it looks like a lot of activity that would seriously impede the all important intake of the aforementioned appropriate bottled barley products :D .

15. d. meyers

d. meyers Tele-Meister

My dad is a professional guide, has been for most of my life. My form of teenage rebellion was not fishing, and it stuck. As for banjos, well, insert tired banjo joke here. My wife loves them, however.[/i]

16. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

Ok.

"A banjo player shows up to practice with his band. Everyone begins the first tune except the banjo player. Nobody complains so they complete the first song. The mandolin player turns to the banjo player and asks if he is ok. He doesn't respond but does "seem" to be nodding his head up and down and up and down...anyway...so they carry on. After the third or fourth song, the guitar player asks the banjo player what's wrong, is he not gonna play? The banjo player just buries his head in his hands and when he raises up his head again....he says...my son turned one of my tuning pegs........the guitarist says..."and"???...He wouldn't tell me which one...."

I thought for sure someone else would beat me to it...you did leave yourself wide open for one Baard...

hee hee.

David

17. teleinMI

teleinMI Tele-Meister

Love Fishin'

I live on a chain of 9 lakes here in Michigan, I am in the process of buying another house here on an island a little further up the chain, close on it Thursday... fish all the time...area is great for bass fishing and walleye..spring time smallmouth fishing in the river that ties the lakes together is awesome...a fish nearly every cast...take the 52ri or an acoustic on the pontoon on occasion to pass time on them slow days!

I have a sister that lives in Mexico on the pacific between Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco...Brother-in-law runs a charter boat for sail fish and yellow-fin tuna...see whales most every time out...there huge...tails as big as the boat!....fresh tuna steaks on the grill and cold cervesas!

18. T-bone Tone

T-bone Tone Banned

It is said that God does not subtract from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing. Which is good news for me;think of the entertainment that'll be around in 2050!

Ahhhh, fishing! I fish the main salmon river in the north of Engalsn, the Tyne - named after the roman river god. Although I do spin if the water is high and coloured, I love to fly fish. It's a beautiful day out, even if I leave the river bank fish-less.

It is, I guess, a passion for many. As is the guitar. Never tried the banjo, yet, though I occasionally play in a little bluegrass band, so do appreciate it's place in the pantheon of music.

19. T-Joe

T-Joe Tele-Meister

Fishin'

What a great way to spend time. I grew up in Montana and tied my own flies when I was a teen in the early 70's. Lotsa time spent on the Big Hole, the "Jeff", Pintler Wilderness area. Grew up moved to Washington State. Even more fish out here! Nothing like catching a 25 lb. humpy on the Snohomish! Spotted a bumper sticker the other day on the island-"Catch and release...in bacon grease!" ;)

20. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Bård, get one of these suckers--a banjo mute:

[​IMG]

It fits right over the bridge of the banjo, and it allows you to practice your Earl Scruggs rolls so you can hear them without waking up the household. ;) They are worth their weight in gold for banjoists, from masters to beginners. I've been playing/learning the banjo for about two years, and I definitely use a mute when I practice at night.

You can get banjo mutes at many places, but one of my favorite places is Elderly Instruments.

So you're missing the straw hat but you already chew tobacco? (Or, as some call it here in the Southern U.S., "tobackee" :p ) We'll make a true Southerner of you yet, Bård! Hey, one day, you might even wake up with a craving for country ham, grits, biscuits and gravy! :D

Joel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.