HNGD. Another Jason Isbell Tele

JesterR

Tele-Afflicted
Here is my new (and for now one and only) guitar.

I need to move, so I've started basically from scratch with Jason Isbell Tele and Strymon Iridium.

What I like about it so far:
- Neck. I was a bit skeptical about 60s neck. I prefer thick 50s style necks, and especially V-Shape. But this one has a rounder feel. I believe close to something like O-shaped (how they call in on MIJ Teles).
- Pickups. Again, 60-s basically is not my thing, but these ones are cool. Neck is strat-y, but not very spikey. And bridge pickup is surprisingly thick. Like it with overdriven tones.
- Overall build quality is nice and sturdy.
- Tobacco burst and "Tattoo" neckplate gives some great and somewhat unique esthetic without being too flashy.

What i do not like:
- Frets. I saw these complains before. This is, maybe, most expensive MIM tele, but frets a really rough. They need to be polished. I am OK, with gigbag instead of case, and other things. But guitar of this level should be prepared for playing without extra efforts.
- Relic. It still feels a bit artificial with some spots, that are really sand-off. I had a 2011 Road Worn 50s tele. It also has some fake-ish spots, but surprisingly, it was done better, then this guitar, which made 10 years later. I think, that it would be ok after some time, but they should stop to do that overdone relic spots.
- Ashtray. I do not get it. For one, who wants modern bridge, 3-barrel construction is still a problem. And for classic ashtray lovers like me, this bridge feels and looks odd. They wanted to please everyone, but ended up pleasing no one.

But, after all, I feel happy with this guitar. I had a hard times with finding 60-s style tele, which I like. But this one definitely works for me. I will polish frets, change ashtray. But since guitar feels good, and sounds good, I am happy with it.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Great looker, sorry to read that you have fret issues. Mexico made Fender can be pretty hit and miss to be honest. My Vintera 60s mod Tele frets were horrendous, and needed a proper polish etc. When I bought my regular 50s Vintera last year, the frets were perfect, and nicely polished.

HomeOffisRockstar

TDPRI Member
Great looker, sorry to read that you have fret issues. Mexico made Fender can be pretty hit and miss to be honest. My Vintera 60s mod Tele frets were horrendous, and needed a proper polish etc. When I bought my regular 50s Vintera last year, the frets were perfect, and nicely polished.
agreed, especially post covid.

It seems like prior to 2019, 9/10 MIM were good to great quality.

This past year or two that seems to have flipped (in my experience any way)

JesterR

Tele-Afflicted
And I am puzzled, that this problem is only with frets. And you can find another ones with the same issue. But no any other quality flaws. Guitar assembled very good (I had some MIJ with bad neck/body joint and other minor thing). But it's always problem with frets exclusively. On the other hand, it does not looks like a big deal anyway.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
agreed, especially post covid.

It seems like prior to 2019, 9/10 MIM were good to great quality.

This past year or two that seems to have flipped (in my experience any way)
Unbelievably my 2 were the complete reverse, but maybe this is a long standing issue with MIM Fender's, I don't honestly recall having too many bad ones, but on occasion I have had a few bad ones.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
Unbelievably my 2 were the complete reverse, but maybe this is a long standing issue with MIM Fender's, I don't honestly recall having too many bad ones, but on occasion I have had a few bad ones.
My last two MIM Players both had bad fret jobs and needed considerable fettling. One was so bad it also needed the nut replaced-under warranty. On the other hand my Noventa is flawless.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
That’s a nice looking guitar. That fretboard looks nice and dark, the way it should be.
I have to confess that I don’t know who Jason Isbell is.
If you prefer 50s features why buy a 60s style guitar?

JesterR

Tele-Afflicted
That’s a nice looking guitar. That fretboard looks nice and dark, the way it should be.
I have to confess that I don’t know who Jason Isbell is.
If you prefer 50s features why buy a 60s style guitar?

Well, it is always a good thing to try something new.

Same way, like a 2 years ago, I am occasionally bought analog synth, and it opened a new world for me. I've wrote a lot of tunes purely on this inspiration, and exploring new stuff. Yes, it's not like anything new would leads to a new horizons. Like 90% it does not work, but the other 10 worth it.

As for teles, I had a couple 60s-styles. And I like, that they went a bit in a stratty, but always something was off. Now I have 60s-style tele, which I really like. Yes, I always can buy another 50s-style telecaster and be relatively happy with it. But I had plenty good ones, I know them.

Also, regarding fret issues. After a couple days of playing, frets becomes more smooth, and overall feel is great. This road worn neck feels very comfortable. It gives, what it should: like I had this guitar for at least couple of years.

dcupright

TDPRI Member
You have a great guitar there! I purchased aJI Tele last year and consider it one of my best purchase ever!

Enjoy.

sammy1

TDPRI Member
Dude I like your style there’s really nice looking axe i’ve always had really good luck with the mim especially the fret work If you only have one guitar I think you have a good one

Sargent Pepper

TDPRI Member
Beautiful guitar. Not to pry but if i may ask, did you even consider an American Professional? If so what were the deciding factors for you?

Last edited:

JesterR

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful guitar. Not to pry but if i may ask, did you even consider an American Professional? If so what were the deciding factors for you?
1)I like "vintage specs" for tele.
2)This faded nitro finish feels awesome.
3)For some reason, I prefer higher series of MIM/MIJ, over MIA. Also, I tried this particular guitar by miself. And I always prefer guitar, which I can try by myself over other ones.

TeleFiveOh

TDPRI Member
Having seen Jason Isbell live about 5-6 times now I was ecstatic when I finally got mine. I agree that the frets were severely lacking and need a level and polish. I also don't like that the 'relic' was done then cleared over. pick one or the other, relic or leave it as is.

The upside: The neck sanding/relicing was perfect and feels amazing. The pickups make up for all the gripes about the guitar.

I'm not a person that plays live or for a living but this guitar feels so good to play when I'm just noodling in my living room it calms me down and does everything music is supposed to do for a person.

Congrats on your new guitar, it will serve you well once you account for the (overall) minor deficiencies.

JesterR

Tele-Afflicted
Having seen Jason Isbell live about 5-6 times now I was ecstatic when I finally got mine. I agree that the frets were severely lacking and need a level and polish. I also don't like that the 'relic' was done then cleared over. pick one or the other, relic or leave it as is.

The upside: The neck sanding/relicing was perfect and feels amazing. The pickups make up for all the gripes about the guitar.

I'm not a person that plays live or for a living but this guitar feels so good to play when I'm just noodling in my living room it calms me down and does everything music is supposed to do for a person.

Congrats on your new guitar, it will serve you well once you account for the (overall) minor deficiencies.
Thanks, actually, frets was a problem for about a week. But after that, it's a pure joy. Guitar feels very smooth and sleek. And also, pickups are great there. Fender should provide them as separate set.

Also, here is some cool Strap/Guitar combo, IMO: