HN(Rat)AD

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ezas, May 19, 2013.

1. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

I had this fall in my lap today for the cost of FREE. It's a Gibson GA-20 in seriously beat up condition but it's mostly original. A couple of Caps look like they may have been replaced and there is some evidence of other work like some shiny solder joints here and their. It looks like it's a 1951 to 1954 model. The tube numbers match for the model amp and the speaker is original. It's exactly as it is described here: http://valvealley.com/the-amps/amp-page-2/

except that the output transformer is attached to the speaker frame.

Looking at it's condition I don't think it's worth much unless someone wanted it as a project. And I need another 'guitar' project like I need more poison ivy rashes and beside wiring guitars is the extent of my electronic skills. I've read everything I can on it and know that Ry Cooder is the musician most associated with this amp and that the Gibsons were cheaply made compared to Fenders of the same era. I'm not really sure what I want to do with it at this point. I mean I know my options, take it to a tech, see what a vintage amp 'shop' would give me for it. Sell it to someone who likes this kind of project. . . It is kind of cool just having an amp this old.

Attached Files:

2. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

It does look like someone's had some fun with it and done some mods, but it would be a great restoration project.

The caps are probably shot, but that's par for the course with some of these older beauties.

That's probably a field coil speaker you've got there with the transformer mounted on the frame.

3. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

Can you say what mods it might seem to have? Through my brother (who owns the shop) I have access to a tech with 30+ yrs experience working on all types of equipment, in the same shop. Meaning he also has access to 30+ years of spare parts, which could come in handy.

I'm waiting to here what he has to say. If he is up for the project I would contribute a clone box.

I could use any ideas on the best ways to clean the surface rust on the panel.

I could also use some suggestions on a good vintage amp forum. Friendly, supportive, helpful, plenty of traffic, that sort of things.

TIA

4. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

I love it!

5. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

well, someone put a jack and switch on the back. I can't tell from the pics what that is connected to, but it's likely a switchable negative feedback, or a switchable cathode bypass cap or something like that.

Those are pretty common mods to old tube gear when folks start hacking around.

Start with a rag and WD-40 for the rust.

6. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

Good call on the WD-40. And thanks for the reply on the possible mods.

7. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

I wan't to bump this for a question. I need to do something with this amp, and by that I mean get it off my kitchen table. The help I was hoping for fell through, was not going to be much of a break on labor.

I've read enough to know it's not worth much in this unknown working and rough appearance condition. But is it worth enough, to the right person, to try to sell it online to cover shipping and a little something in my pocket?

Or is this a Craigslist item and hope the right person sees it? I thought maybe glue the cover down as best I can and find a music store who would want it as a curiosity item.

Is parting it out a viable option if nothing else?

I'm in no way trying to cash in on it's vintage value, just some reasonable outcome for this amp to find a home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.