Hmmm... rosewood you say?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Binx, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

I have put together kit guitars, and had really great results for a fun, easy, not-true-to-tele-spec project. Not really wondering about the quality of these, or interested in picking one up. But came across this Muslady tele kit, with a neck claiming to be a rosewood fretboard. With everything that's happened with rosewood, at that price I highly doubt it is rosewood.
    But am curious what wood it is? Anyone bought one or something similar and know? Heres a link for reference to it:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=254535901275

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like rosewood to me.

crazydave911, Steve Holt and PhredE like this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_eguitar_kit_tstyle.htm
    Could be the same kit. One thing to point out, is that the Thomann product description lists fingerboard wood as Amaranth (aka Purpleheart, technically Peltogyne).. Purpleheart is kind of interesting in that if it is allowed to sit unfinished after it is milled it will oxidize to a brown-ish color. Otherwise, if finished just after being cut, the purple color can be retained most times.

At the same time, the CITES treaty was amended back in Nov 2019 to allow for the shipment of some varieties of rosewood that are contained in many musical instruments. The organizations that govern orchestras and some manufacturers were big sponsors of the initiative to carve an exception in the agreement.

HTH.

Update: for reference

https://www.wood-database.com/east-indian-rosewood/
    https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

For a fretboard, purpleheart should work just fine -- it stiffer and denser than EIR.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Binx and crazydave911 like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    PhredE and Binx like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For a while some of these kits were being sold with 'engineered' rosewood which was like sawdust reconstituted for America and rosewood elsewhere else. I believe now they are rosewood everywhere. You'd have to get one a couple of years old to get a non-rosewood one.

Binx likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

could be Indian Rosewood?... I've seen pre made fretboards for sale, using it...

Binx likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There are hundreds of rosewood species. Many Asian guitar have rosewood boards. Just 'cause Fender doesn't use it on any of their import guitar, whether Fender or Squier, doesn't mean that other companies don't use it.

PhredE and Binx like this.
  8. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Thanks, I think that one describes it well for me, my skepticism came from fender using it less and less

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Binx, remember that all rosewoods were added to Appendix II of CITES (Braz remains in I) a while back which caused a lot of concern in the industry. That seems to be straightened out now and there doesn't seem to be either a shortage or problems with finished guitars using rose. I do think that got a lot of peoples attention and many did start looking at alternatives.

In my opinion, the neck in your picture probably is rosewood (most likely EIR) and I wouldn't personally worry about it. I would worry a bit about what you get for eighty four bucks, however.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.