Hmmm , A Build for me ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Sep 17, 2011.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Ha , well Dave , unfortunate for me and my old pc , tech support ? With me its more like hmmm , let's see what happens if I stop this process , well , that didn't work , now where did I leave my cats paw and lump hammer ?? :D

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

What? No casting the bones, or tea leaves? Yeh, the real trick with computers is " knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em" :lol:. Plus........you generally need another computer (to google/download things ;)) to fix a computer. Talkin' about your no win scenario :lol:. My all time hero when I was in the biz, was the guy who threw his computer (monitor and all) off his desk (the crash came through clearly over the phone) and asked me to google and see if his local Best Buy was open yet :lol::lol:
    You did good Herb ;)

3. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Tortoise…Tortoise…:p:p:p
    Herb,
    Please let me send you with Fedex some spare capacitors I have, I can do that for two reasons.
    First: this is the least, I can do for this grate Build-Tutorial and
    Second: I cannot wait to hear a sound clip:D

4. adirondak5

Hey nick thanks very much , I have everything to finish this up , except time it seems , all the caps came last week , just been so busy with other things , I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow , and I now have enough caps to probably build 40 - 50 guitars and a few amps. Thanks again for the kind offer :)

The caps and the resistor for the greasebucket tone circuit are circled :) As you can see , I won't be running out of caps anytime soon , even grabbed some Russian greenies :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Ops! I miss this part…:eek:

6. adirondak5

Ok , sorry for the wait , got the grease bucket soldered in this morning , I was gonna finish this and an amp I've been working on last weekend , but latetly I just havent felt like doing much , couldnt figure out why , well Friday before last I found out why , after 3 days in the hospital , figured it was time , couldn't stand up ,looks like Lymes disease ,dam ticks , so after some pills and some rest I'm starting to feel like my old self again. So without any more delays , here's some pics .

Grease bucket tone circuit

[​IMG]

Some strings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little bit of fun , sounds good through the Blues Jr , sounds great through my Champ clone , gotta see how it sounds through my Deluxe clone

[​IMG]

I still need to install a string tree and really get it set up good ,and work on the nut a bit more but first thoughts , cranked with the Champ and some distortion going it rocks , its loud and throaty , should be a beast with the Deluxe . I like the grease bucket tone circuit , get pretty good range out of it without any shrillness , I really like the TVJones Classic Bridge + , its a powerhouse , and the Rutters Chopped Bridge is just beautiful IMO.

A little side note not related to this build , I ran out of caps a while back so while cap shopping I always wanted to try some of the Russian PIO caps , so I checked ebay and ordered some from a seller with good feedback , Got some .047 , .050 , .022 , .033 , .025 , they came from the Russian Federation in 11 days , I thought that was fast and less than $2. bucks each shipping included to my door . I checked the values with my multimeter , they are all spot on , if anyone is interested the seller is uralspirit . I don't think there's much of a difference between film , foil , PIO or ceramic caps in a guitar circuit , but I kind of prefer PIO . The ones on top of the pic are ceramic bodied with flat leads , kinda neat looking .

[​IMG]

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Lyme disease? Doesn't that just tick you off!?

Sorry Herb, couldn't resist it.
    The guitar looks great with that pickguard.

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Herb,

Take it easy brother. Glad to see you are feeling better. The top on that guitar in combination with the tort guard is out of this world! Just beautiful!

It's funny, some folks here are hard line anti funky tone cap. I personally like to experiment with them...... All kinds! Have fun. I'm right there with you.

Rob

9. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about the setback. Glad you're feeling better, Herb.

The guitar is looking fantastic! I'm eager to hear it!

Peace,
    Mark

10. crazydave911

Glad to hear your feeling better my friend. I find it weird, now that you mention it, that I've seen no fewer than 5 tv shows this summer, where someone on or around Long Island had lyme disease. Makes you wonder :rolleyes:

Moving on, a sweet, sweet build Herb. That pickguard is the absolute shizzz :lol:

11. adirondak5

Ha , yea Glen , I was pretty ticked , thanks my friend .

12. adirondak5

Thanks Rob , yea , I've been taking it easy .
    I really like the look of the tort guard with the top , fingerboard , and the TVJONES pup , to cool for school :)
    I agree with you on the caps , for a buck or two , why not experiment , check out some of the Russian stuff Rob , I think you'll find it interesting.

13. adirondak5

Thanks Mark , yea , still looking for a decent video cam for posting clips , gotta get on that :)

14. adirondak5

Thanks Dave , around here Lymes is bad , everybody knows some one that has it , and ticks this year were and still are all over , bad news .
    Yea , I really like the pickguard , funny , 5 years ago I wouldn't have known what "the shizzz" was/meant
    , same with petard :D

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

You have built a wonderful guitar........the finish is awesome.

Jeff

16. crazydave911

Ahhh yes, a quality education we get here :lol:

17. adirondak5

Thanks much Jeff :)

18. adirondak5

Ya can't learn this stuff in school , at least in my case :D

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Man, that's beautiful. Glad you're feeling better. :)

20. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Great choice of woods...the colors on that guitar so compliment one another!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.