Hmmm , A Build for me ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Nice work! That's one great looking guitar. :D

Your photography is excellent, too. Is the key natural light? And no, I don't mean the beer. :lol:

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Thanks Mark , I really appreciate that , and all you've taught me :)

Ha :lol: , thanks sjohnbruton , glad you like.
    The photograpy , the final pics were taken with Nikon DSLR on a tripod with a cable release , in natural light , under the patio table umbrella , I find indoor or direct sunlight pics don't give a true to eye look , the shaded natural light under the umbrella works good , the tripod and cable release are a big help also. :)

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Radio Shack (at least here) sell these in the little green "chicklet" variety. Cheap too ;)

4. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Holy cow, Herb, what a beautiful thing that is. Congrats on such a fine instrument, I can only hope to be that good one day. :eek:

5. adirondak5

Didn't think of them Dave , but last time I was there a month or so back they didn't have any with the proper values , I've got them coming , I'll have her done this weekend :)

6. adirondak5

Thanks very much Phil . Coming from somebody I have great admiration for , that's an honor :) , now if I could just figure out how to make a set of those plecto string pickin teeth :D

7. Collette

Collette TDPRI Member

This guitar is looking beautiful! I'm new to the TDPRI, and I must say, you guys have really got something great here. Thanks for posting this build (and thanks to so many of you others who do the same.) I originally found this site trying to do some research on building a guitar from parts that were already made. Now I am inspired to build from scratch.
    As far as the pickguard goes - if it were mine I think I'd go for the black guard. It seems to compliment the darker grains in the fretboard without detracting from any of the other great looking parts/wood.

8. adirondak5

Thanks Collette , and welcome aboard . Yes , this is a special place :)
    I should have the black pg buffed out by the end of the week so I'll change them out and see what looks better. Start a build thread when you get started , good building to ya .

9. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Absolutely stunning, Herb. This build and your Snakehead were what got me hooked on this forum. It's hard to believe that neck came from Lowes (sadly, Lowes and Home Depot don't sell maple at all in the south so I can't luck into those nice materials).

I'm glad to see you went with the tortoise guard. I think it complements the fretboard nicely, rather than being "over the top" with the FB and flame top.

10. adirondak5

Thanks sfc :) , glad I got you hooked :lol: , yep , this one is nice , I still am going to buff out the black pg just to see what it'll look like all polished on there but I do really like the tortoise . The Lowes maple , yea , I am lucky with that , it was bad pickings there in the winter to late spring but the last few months I've picked up enough nice flame from there for 16 or so necks . I just can't leave it when I see it :lol:
    So , when you building your Snakehead :?:

11. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

I wouldn't be able to leave it either. I'd keep buying even if I had a closet full if it were available here. :p I'll have to try Lowes/Home Depot in MD next time I'm up there to visit my daughter. If the big box stores there don't have it, I'll just have to take some time to drop in on Hearne Hardwoods in PA.

I may get around to the Snakehead, but first I've got to get off my lazy backside and finish my Micawber. Then I have a '59/'60 Duo Sonic eating at me, now that I finally have the template (thanks to glen smith). I wouldn't say it's way down my list, but gee...so many guitars, so little time. ;)

12. adirondak5

Yea , I hear ya , so little time , I really want to do a Supro Belmont type build , I don't know yet if I want to go totally original or just body shape and headstock , gotta study up on it , but that'll probably be my next build.

13. crazydave911

The ones I found were in the drawers to right of the normal (small) electronics parts display. The staff didn't even know they were there (too damn busy trying to sell cell phones :mad:). They were in two-pack plastic bags, and not even in the drawer correctly

From what I've seen of the Belmonts, as long as you use a modern truss rod your golden ;)

14. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Wow, Herb, that guitar is like a jewel!

I'll refrain from commenting that reds/oranges/yellows are
    better for guitars than blues/greens. :p:p

Seriously, the guitars you make just keep getting better
    and better. Thanks for taking the time to write a
    build thread so we can learn from your work.

15. adirondak5

Yep , I think that's how I'll go for the neck Dave , not sure on bridge , tailpiece yet .

16. adirondak5

Thanks Glenn , no blue or greens here :D , one thing I think everyone learned with this build is it sure took a long time :D , but I am pretty happy with it. The thread was/is a pleasure and helps with motivation over the looong haul .

17. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

So Herb, did you choose black or Tort?

18. adirondak5

Hey Glen , I am gonna go with the tort , I did spray the garrolite guard and laid it on but to my eye the tort looks better , I also got the parts for the greasebucket circuit , didn't get it in yet , worked on bugs in my desktop computer most of yesterday , before finally giving up and picking up a new one and today I worked on an amp most of the day , just not enough time :). I'll try to get this guitar done during the week .

19. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Alright Herb, looking forward to hearing it wail.

20. crazydave911

Fortunately for this computer, it has me for tech support :). Unfortunately for me, this computer has me for tech support :mad:

:lol::lol::lol:

Look forward to hearing it :D, still looking for something to record my 12 string :rolleyes: :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.