Hiwatt DR103 Issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by junior1995, May 2, 2020.

1. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

I have ordered a Hiwatt DR103 from Reverb and it arrived on Friday. Came with no power cord and had a new IEC socket added so I used the cord from my voodoo pedal power (120V) and the amp will turn on. However, it only produces a low hum that does not change with volume level and no sound other than that.

What could be the issue with this amp? The shop that sold me it said they tested the amp before it was shipped and they've got a great rating on Reverb.

Thanks

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Did they ship it with the tubes in place? Often a shop will remove the tubes, wrap them and stick them inside the chassis or elsewhere in the box. Take a peak.

The low hum you're hearing is probably the power transformer.

3. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

Yep tubes are in and I checked to make sure they’re not loose or anything

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Could be anything really. Is the hum coming from the speakers or transformers? If it ain't coming out the speakers check your wiring and make sure the impedance selector isn't loose.
    If that ain't it try swapping some 12ax7s, one might have got damaged in shipping. That amp with even one working power tube would still make guitar sounds.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  5. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

The hum is coming from the speakers, albeit very low. I did some searching and apparently when you go from the U.K. to the US and change supply voltages you have to use a fuse with a different amperage. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Obvious question;

If it has the input voltage selector has it been switched from 240 to 120? Could be that you have too low a voltage so get the him but no output power.

7. BobbyZ

Right fuse is definitely a good idea! But if it isn't blown that's not your problem right now. That amp have two fuses? (can't remember if my Hiwatt had more than one, been gone over 20 years now)
    Have you tried swapping 12ax7s yet?

Antoon likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Time to stop trying things for a moment, and get all your ducks in a row.....

Are you saying you bought the amp from the UK? IF YES... It needs more than a fuse.... it needs to have it's voltage selector changed. Please confirm that you have done that correctly! Some Hiwatts don't have a voltage selector (mostly just CAD Exports)... if your's didn't come with one you will need to take it in and have someone set it up properly for you.

There are two fuses.... check both, and make sure the proper fuses are in place.

If it does not work.... GET IT TO A TECH. They can safely figure out if it's anything serious or not. Sadly, poking and prodding into something you aren't sure of could cause much more expensive repairs, and/or death! Not kidding!

9. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

Yes I changed the voltage selector to 115v. Tried the right fuse and still nothing. I’ve determined the hum is actually from the amplifier, not the speaker. So that’s just the transformer like y’all said.

I don’t have any extra tubes with me and because of the present situation I can’t go buy one. I’m going to just take it to a tech this week.

I appreciate the replies. I’m very disappointed as I’ve wanted this amp for years.

codamedia and BobbyZ like this.
  10. BobbyZ

Impedance switch in right? Speaker cable and cab all work right?
    A tech is of course always a good idea when buying a used and especially vintage amp. Was hoping you'd find something simple.

This your first Hiwatt? Mine was a DR504, found it in a shop in Fargo back in the 90s cool amp but too loud even then. My only other amp then was a Twin Reverb, just to put it in perspective.
    I've still got a Hiwatt cab SE4123 cab from 1974, some day maybe I'll get another head, for no good reason.

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Just checking on this.... there should be two fuses, have you checked both?
    When the HT fuse blows the unit will still power up, but there will not be any sound.

Visual checks are not always enough with fuses... especially if they are slo-blow.

IME with Hiwatts... the HT fuse most often goes first, and usually indicates a tube problem. If it has died, replace it with the correct value and keep in mind the HT should be a fast blow.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  12. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

Yes this is my first Hiwatt. Got a 68 Bassman which I thought was going to bring the thump but it does not stay clean to keep up with a drummer. All I hear is that a Hiwatt will blow your head off so I'm very excited. I have a rehearsal space so I guess the question is can I gig with it.

Yes I checked both fuses and then replaced both. I'm using this Hiwatt page I found online for information.

BobbyZ and codamedia like this.
  13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Tubes in the correct positions?. If they shipped the tubes separately, maybe one of the tubes is switched with another?. I guess that would only matter if it has a tube rectifier, I've seen people put the wrong tube in the rectifier position.
    Al

14. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

No I did not, but it occurred to me that customs may have done something that would change the nature of the amp. Wouldn't the amp still make some sort of noise still with wrong tubes?

15. BobbyZ

Pretty hard to mess up tube possisions in a DR103 Hiwatt, 12ax7s and EL34s. It's tech time I'm thinking.
    A healthy DR103 will blow a healthy 68 Bassman away and a healthy 68 Bassman is already a very loud amp. Your band must be pretty loud by today's standards, if that Bassman is working right.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.