History Revisionists: Middle age men

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Doug 54, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

What is it about many of us middle age to older men exaggerating, revising, confabulating about certain 'achievements'??

A few yrs ago I read in my college alumni magazine a small feature about another alumni who 'built' a highly figured Martin kit guitar: I had seen it a few months earlier in my repairman's workshop- yes he did ALL the work!!

I called the editor and told her. She asked what I wanted to do: I said nothing. It's sad.

Recently at another site a fellow was posting about... 'wheeww!! he had missed being drafted due to Kissinger's negotiations'. That his draft # was such and such.

I politely emailed him and it turned out I was older than he-- and I was certainly in NO danger of being drafted!! He thanked me for bringing this to his attention and over time forgot.

I would love to get a 'Veteran' vanity car plate to read:
    'Desk Job Veteran'!! (that was me!).

I guess I am guilty at times of being a drama queen too!

2. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

I know guys like that too. I inwardly cringe when I hear them telling others something that I know is a huge exaggeration. I have achieved absolutely nothing in my life and have no need to brag about it.

3. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Embellishing fish stories are not exclusive to middle age men. I take more humor in the sixteen year old who has been a professional musician for five years.

4. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Yeah, this isn't limited to any particular age group.

On one hand, people that tend to exaggerate probably suffer from low self-esteem.

On the other hand, people that tend to exaggerate tell really good stories

5. NightBoss

NightBoss TDPRI Member

In September, my 15 year old daughter survived a ruptured brain aneurysm about the size of fingernail according to the Doctor. Last week my ex wife posted online about her aneurysm "the size of a golf ball". It really pissed me off....

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

BS makes the flowers grow.

posturing in general is so time consuming... it just is a drag and something not worth doing... I've enjoyed my life but I wouldn't call it remarkable...

I did joke with someone the other day that my class in college (or whatever the thing was) was the first that was supposed to register with the military at the post office (like 1980 or something) and we were such revolutionaries we didn't do it... and the feds MIGHT be looking for us still!

when my buddy (a much younger guy) realized I was joking and making fun of myself, he laughed and said, "I was totally worried for a second you were gonna be 'one of those guys' and then I realized you were laughing about it!"

Probably all of us have bs stuff about us... but, an oft told lie becomes our reality... I tend to go easy on the guys who visit fantasyland on a daily basis... they are mostly harmless.

7. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like my ex-wife........sorry to hear about your daughter and glad she is fine now.

8. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The draft stopped in 1973 i believe and i turned 18 in 1974. I still had to enroll in the SS but when they sent me a letter to update the color of my eye,hair,height,weight etc..... i never sent it back. I got my card a few months later with ------ through all of the fields :eek: thought they were going to come after me etc..... and nothing ever happened :lol:

9. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

I have friends who are Korean and Vietnam Vets. I've never had the impression they were exaggerating. The support folks and desk jockeys will tell you they didn't have it rough, but anyone who roamed the countryside had it rough, they just may not talk about it unless you are close to them and you both are drinking ;)

I've known 3 different Medal of Honor winners. Google Vernon Baker or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Baker, his story is remarkable, yet he never talked about it and he recd it about 50 years late. A very Humble man living in the woods of Northern Idaho, living modestly. After his award we had him speak at several comunity events. He never mentioned the war and gave very short speechs.

But, ask me about old times and I will likely have embellished, a bit. :)

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am not of eloquence when it comes to lofty exactness, I am though somewhat marred in my terrestrial existence.

Or I could have typed...

I'm not perfect, I'm dented.

Embellishment is spicy. Lying is committing a wrong. Knowing the difference is important. I am surely guilty of embellishing things in my favor on many occasions. But if were to lie, the guilt would kill me until I made it right.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

In these cases, the person telling the story is sometimes trying to share the sense of fear that they were feeling at the time, or perhaps are trying to explain just how serious the situation was. The storyteller might feel that a "fingernail" just isn't going to deliver the emotional heft of the situation, and that something bigger will serve the story better. Her emotions at the time were not dependent on the size of the aneurysm. Her emotions were affected by the severity of the situation itself, and she probably want the listener/reader to understand how intense the situation was. A golfball-sized aneurysm is more likely to impact the listener and thus share the intensity of the situation. Perhaps, in looking back, the storyteller feels that the emotions were too big for the situation, feels a little abashed, and thus changes some of the elements in order to fit the emotions at the time.

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I'm in education.

Have known the kids's fathers, mothers, grandfathers, and grandmothers.

It is remarkable how many of our teams missed a state championship by just "this much."

"This much" is often a blown call by an official. ;)

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I can't believe all those cases of people lying on the CVs in major ways. The recent Yahoo President, for example, who gave himself a degree in Computer Science when it didn't exist. I read a lot of CVs in academic job searches, and don't see anything that I would know to be a falsehood. This is because it is a very small world, and people know each other, their institutions, and scholarship in their fields. I always advise my students to never, ever exaggerate anything on their CVs.

I came across a website that posts examples of people lying about their military service. One person was a professor who told tales of his heroic exploits in Vietnam. He was found to have been lying and I think he was fired. What a low, pathetic thing to do. If anyone knows the name of this website, I would like to know, as I have forgotten it.

Speaking of professors, I have a friend who has an uncle or something that claims to be a professor. He actually was not, and would go to the local library every day. Everyone in the family knew the real story, but they humored him. Ugh.

Lastly, I have a friend who played in bands with me from 1966-1974. We are always patting ourselves on the back, saying, "kids these days..." We are truly impressed with our younger selves, but we try to keep our mouths shut about it with other people.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

If I told you once, I've told you a million times, I never exaggerate.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My brother-in-law is a woodsman and a natural born story teller. Does he occasionally exaggerate? Sure, but would the stories have the same entertainment value without the embellishment? I say let 'em be, I like a good story, and I really don't much care if it's accurate for not, does it really matter? When you talk about riding an old blue norther, it would certainly lose something if you just said, I was actually riding a Greyhound bus.

16. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Honestly....

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.....hahahahaha!

17. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Lies beget lies, and eventually someone who lies will forget the who, what, and where of his lies and say something that couldn't be possible if his/her lies were truths.

I'm not smart enough to remember stuff like this, so I try to always tell the truth. It's easier that way and I can look at myself in the mirror.

However, I am an accomplished BS'er (36 years in the military will do that to someone) and I have no problem slinging BS when appropriate. I try to make my BS so transparent that any fool can tell it's BS. Hell--I can even BS people into thinking I can play music!

18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Well, there's out and out lying, and then there's excessive puffery. For example, I did a phone interview with someone who claimed a particular software toolkit on her resume. So I asked her about it, and she admitted that she'd used it on a single project in college. I said fine, what was that project, and she couldn't tell me. Needless to say, she didn't get the job.

Some of the military stuff gets worse, particularly in regards to the Medal Of Honor. Geez, if you're going to lie about getting something, don't make it something so easy to research.

And I run into guys all the time in martial arts who are 'too deadly to spar with you' who end up exclusively being mall ninjas.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you rascal! the hoover boys will be over momentarily!

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

"The Older I Get The Better I Was." T-shirt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.