History of the Eagles documentary - anybody seen it?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Azoff is the manager. A business manager is something else.

I wouldn't be so sure about him being an equal partner. The math works out if you're managing a five member band of equal partners, but I can't see them giving Azoff 33.33%. When you get bigger, you can ask your rep to take less or else. Fifteen percent was the standard for managers, the last I heard.

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I used to love the band in the 70's until Hotel California and all the singles from that album dominated the airwaves and I got fed up hearing them. But the first 3 albums are definitely great.

I bought the dvd of this film and was thoroughly sickened by Frey and Henley's egos. I understand that they were the backbone of the band after Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon left but some humility wouldn't go amiss with these guys.

I watched both dvd's once and can't bring myself to watch it again simply because of their attitudes. Maybe they don't care how they come over and are happy to upset some fans/viewers but I'd have thought that, if they were as shrewd businessmen as they claim to be they'd have seen the extent of their egos as being somewhat of a negative for many people.

I know you don't get to be as big as they were by being Mr Nice Guy all the time but some compassion and understanding wouldn't have gone amiss with them.

3. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

All fair points, and from the perspective of starting and running bands. Someone has to be in charge. Larry Mullen said U2 was his band for half an hour, right up til Bono was taken on as the Singer.

But for it to work, you need personalties that will take a back seat and contribute as required. The problem with the Eagles is some guys feel they contribute more than they do, and the leaders tell them it ain't so. But probably did so too publicly, and with zero tact.

The 'nice guys finish last' is a curiously American cultural idiom. It may well ring true for some, but be a jerk in the board/rehearsal room, not in front of the TV cameras, where your jerkness is raised to a whole new level.

Still - being 3rd or 4th banana in the Eagles shouldn't be something to complain about. The paydays were huge, and now they've got some egos managed, they're even bigger.

The annoying thing about them, is they still seem all about the money on their superannuation tours, and rich as they are, are still arguing over who should get a few extra mill more than anyone else.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Say what? I take it you've never had to bribe your way through Russia, the Middle East, Asia, or any of the innumerable third world nations where people are determined to play you for a sucker, lest you play them.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Henley's post Eagles musical career was quite successful but Frey tends to exaggerate his a bit more. He scored a big hit with "The Heat Is On" but the rest wasn't anything to write home to momma about.

Glenn probably made more from acting than music after the Eagles took their "fourteen year vacation" so I don't really give that much credit to him for keeping the legacy alive and the direction Henley's writing took wasn't much like the '70s Eagles repertoire.

To me that whole thing is a reach as far as their justifications for claiming a bigger share of the take. I'll buy into their having a right to a larger stake but 3x what the others share seems a bit excessive all things considered and I've been told that's what it came down to.

6. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I'm amazed Henley and Frey allowed the film to be released. I defy anybody to watch it and not think the pair of them are complete scumbags.

7. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Getting hassled by douches doesn't mean you have to be one.

I live in Asia, and travel in the region. I've spent a year in the middle East. I know how some things work in such places. Doesn't make it right, and I didn't become a douche too.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh please on the nice guy stuff... the two biggest aholes I ever worked for who would have cut their own mothers for a dollar were not american... one had the mantra (which he told to hundreds of people when I was at Apple) when you get someone down, put your foot on their neck and hold it until they move no more.

Pete Towsend is a 'nice guy'?

Rupert Murdoch?

John Bonham a nice guy?

the gallagher bros?

music is among the most cuthroat businesses to be in... there are gentle souls... who usually find a david geffen to bid for them or an ahmet ertegun....

oh, there are always ultimate nice guys like simon cowell...

boy, there is being wrong and being ridiculous.

9. getbent

I'm guessing henley would not describe himself as a douche either... do you agree with him as we should agree with you?

or, by actually reading what you write are we overthinking your response?

10. getbent

the only guy in the eagles who thought he brought more than he did... was felder.

end of story.

without his bit of panties being twisted, there is no story. Why people can't see it right in front of them, I'll never know...

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Probably. Who's to say? You and Scully are the only people i seem to get a rise out of, without even intending to, whatever I post.

12. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Yep...
    Really like some of the music but am totally repelled by them as people.

Insufferable pompous d-bags of the highest order.

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Again, you are spot on.:cool:

14. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I was just looking at my Eagles songbook that I've had for 30 years and learned that Jack Tempchin wrote some of their biggest hits.

15. Telemarkman

To put things in a slightly different perspective; let me tell you about one of my oldest and best friends, who hardly knew ANYTHING about the Eagles until he saw the documentary on Norwegian National TV, NRK2.

My friend listens to blues almost exclusively. But as he's retired and lives alone, he has plenty of time to watch the TV. And, as I've already mentioned, he watched the Eagles documentary and became an instant fan. Not that he hadn't heard them before - who hasn't? - but he definitely hadn't LISTENED to them. So it's fair to say that he had no prejudice against any of the guys whatsoever.

After having seen the documentary, however, there was ONE guy that he found to be a whiney, self-pitying, ungrateful jerk. Guess who ...

Some of you guys bring your old prejudices to the table while watching the documentary. That makes it hard to see it with an open mind like my friend did.

16. Telemarkman

He certainly wrote "Peaceful Easy Feeling". It only reached #22 on the charts, but is still one of their most popular songs, so you might say it's a hit.

Then he co-wrote "Already Gone" (peaked at #32), "The Girl from Yesterday" (#58 in the country charts), "Somebody" (not released as a single) and "It's Your World Now" (not released as a single).

"Some of their greatest hits"? Hardly.

Jackson Brown and J.D. Souther OTOH co-wrote quite a few of their greatest hits. But since most of us can count, it should be easy to determine who wrote the majority of their songs - including their greatest hits.

Edit: The last paragraph isn't aimed at you, christee68; you seem to have a reasonably balanced view on the Eagles conflict. But there are those who go out of their way to discredit Henley and Frey to the point that they even cannot see that without their songwriting, the Eagles would never have been the megasuccess they actually have become.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  17. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Actually, the songbook is called "Eagles--Their Greatest Hits" and it has 10 songs in it, two of witch were written by Jack Tempchin. I stand by my statement that he wrote "some of their greatest hits." He didn't write "all" or "most" but he did write "some."

18. Telemarkman

If "some" are two (counting co-written "Already Gone"), I agree. The three remaining co-written ones are not among their greatest hits.

19. getbent

and if you talk to Jack, he'll tell you that he is eternally grateful for them doing his songs.

I dig Jack's 'live' version of already gone from the 70's with Bob Warford (a hero of mine) on guitar... it is MUCH different than the Eagles version... the Eagles version of the song is much more arranged and 'finished'... both are great but different as night and day.

Think of the dough Jack has made from being on those records! Great for both... I think it is awesome and smart to record the best songs you can find and if it keeps Jack full of 'mailbox money'... all to the good.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The Eagles have now been back together longer then they were together the first time. How many records have they done? "Hell Freezes Over" which was a reunion live album and "Long Road Back to Eden." How many of those songs do you hear on the radio?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.