History of the Beatles Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by glenlivet, Feb 19, 2020.

1. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

That's a great video!

3. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Yes it is. I had seen it before. I have it saved.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think I've seen this before. Does it correct the "mis-information" about John's Hamburg era tweed Fender? For many, many years it was claimed that Lennon used a Tweed Fender Deluxe, when in reality it was a Tweed Fender Vibrolux.....supposedly a very similar amp, but with vibrato. My old copy of Andy Babiuk's book, Beatles' Gear, still states it was a Deluxe.....don't know if that has been corrected in subsequent editions, but it should be. Thanks for posting. ;)

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In the Youtube that I watched and enjoyed they said it was a Vibrolux - but they also said it had a 10" speaker. So I'm still confused, but I did still enjoy the post!

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I thought the Beatles always used them Super Beatle Vox amps made in the USA? :)

I'm gonna watch the video now. . .

Jerry J likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

no.....the Tom Petty Band did not use them either....they were stage decoration. What the Beatles used at the end of their concert days was the AC-100 Super amp....custom built on order, as I understand it. Some people call these ‘Super Beatle’ amps, but they are mistaken. The AC-100 is an all tube amp whereas the Super Beatle solid state amp is one of those amps built by Thomas Organ Co here is the U.S. those Thomas Rogan Co. Vox amps were built by Thomas Organ Co. after they signed a distribution deal with Vox to sell Vox amps in the U.S. Thomas Organ took the contract to mean that they could build amps and put Vox badges on them....much to the chagrin of Vox...and to the detriment of the brand since the Thomas Organ Co. amps were problematic...to say the least. The best thing about the Thomas Organ Co Super Beatle amp’s were the four Celestion ‘silver bulldog’ Alnico speakers.

BobbyZ and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Wally

Fwiw, I suppose I should have held onto the one Vox AC-50 that has come my way. I have seen one Vox AC100 MKI...valve amp... in this area, and it now lives in Paraguay!!!

9. Wally

Also, the ‘Dual Showman’ amp’s shown at approx. 26:15-26:30 look to be Showman amps with a single D140F JBL in a tone ring cab. notice how large the opening is???

Imho, all of the solid state Vox amps are what led The Beatles to move toward using all Fender tube amps by the time they did that rooftop concert....and during the late studio work.

BobbyZ and nojazzhere like this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

The 5F11 Vibrolux had a 10 inch speaker stock. And its been confirmed that he did own a Vibrolux at some point during the Hamburg days. He gave it to a relative who still has it.

11. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I thought they were given those Fender amps along with the rosewood Tele that George plays as part of a marketing campaign.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

So....John's Vibrolux did have a 10" speaker? That's a big difference (IMHO) between it and a Tweed Deluxe. Could the two tweed amps have used the same housing? (cabinet)

13. Wally

No jazz here, the 5F11 is also a fixed biased amp instead of cathode bias3d as is the 5E3. The 5F11 Vibrolux is the platform for the 6G2 Princeton and all other Princeton’s following...as well as the Rivera era Super Champ. The BF/SF Princeton/Prince Reverb and Super Champ amps have a more elaborate tone stack than do the 5F11 and 6G2.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Wally

as seen, there was a 6G Bassman in use in the studio that was not a promotional gift thing. Once they got out from under the connection between Epstein and Vox, they were free to move on. Imho, the Fender were more suited to The Beatles than were the Marshall amp’s that most other English guitarists and bassists were using. Ommv...

15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, yes you are right. I thought you were referring to the silverface amps seen in the Let It Be sessions and the Rooftop concert. My mistake.

16. Wally

AG, I was referring to the late era after Epstein passed and the Vox connection was broken....they moved on.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Catch that part about how expensive a Super Beatle was new? Over a thousand dallors in the mid 1960s!
    And today we've got people thinking they can get a decent amp for half that money.
    Of course the Super Beatle wasn't a decent amp!
    In high school we used one for our whole band. Two guitars, bass and one microphone.
    I actually had an old blackface Princeton then but didn't want to be seen in public with it.
    Times have changed since '82-'83. Lol

AlbertaGriff and Hatfield92 like this.
  18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure Petty and THB did use the Super Beatle amps at one point early on, I recall Tom talking about them in an article and defending their sound. They may have used them as stage props later on, after they were big and got a lot more amps.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  19. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yep. They said that they went out and bought all of those Vox SuperBeatles when they got their first big check from record sales and then used them on the next album and subsequent tour. I'm also pretty sure that he said they did use them for that much later tour, but that time they also had a couple of their favorites behind the Vox wall for various times during their set.

20. Wally

Yeah, a lot of groups back in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s bit the apple that was the ‘Super Beatle’. If the amp had had any name except Super Beatle or Beatle on it, it would have died in obscurity, imho. I have read that many of them were returned to the stores almost immediately due to failures. Whatever......the one O bought was dead and I was not interested in putting any money or time into it due to their seemingly well-deserved reputation. I pulled the Alnico speakers and sold the rest of it. That is the best thing about these amps....they will sell.
    The Beatles never played them in concert.....the Super Beatle was not around at that time. As for the $1000 price tag when new..lol...that would make that a $7000 amp in today’s money!!! What a farce!

LuthRavin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.