History of Jimmy Page's Telecaster Taled By Himself

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by asquinet, Apr 10, 2019.

1. stratcatt

stratcatt TDPRI Member

My special Ash Telecaster is basically a 52 re-issue without the custom shop pups. That's all I'm coveting is a set of CS pups, or maybe a set of Joe Barden's!

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't pick up the guitar because of Jimmy Page but he's the reason I've never put it down.

Route67 likes this.
  3. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I played one of the mirrored ones yesterday at Sam Ash in NYC. Really nice guitar. The mirrors come in a separate package so you can place them where you want to, or not place them at all. I'd buy one if I wasn't thinking about the 6 other things I want to buy.

I disagree with the poster who said Page isn't a virtuoso guitarist- the whole long game statement proves that that is exactly what he is. He's an unbelievable writer and creative force (Eric and Jeff are not, as much as we all love them Page was millions of light years ahead), one of THE best producer/arrangers, a great slide player, an amazing fingerpicker, an electrifying performer (whether or not he played his solos clean live or not, you go and play 3 1/2 hour shows on back to back tours for a couple years). He came up with a completely new and sick guitar sound (or several sounds) on every single track he ever recorded. I actually got a great kick out of what Clapton said in his autobiography "I didn't really like what Jimmy Page did with the blues." Amazing.

HOWEVER... I still think John Paul Jones is the better musician in the band.

Route67 and awasson like this.
  4. awasson

I hear you... I was amused by the armchair critique's of JP too. Sure Jimmy Page wasn't a virtuoso guitarist :rolleyes:

John Paul Jones is awesome too. I really began paying attention to bass in compositions because of him.

5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

The other thing I was just thinking, how do non-virtuoso guitarists become the busiest session players in London? I'll stop now.

Route67 and awasson like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Well, now that you've explained it, that makes him a lesser musician. You owe it to a paying audience to deliver.

7. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Thanks for the upload nice story(he keeps changing it lol) but I wouldn't pay $2200 dollars for one. I'm currently reading Jimmy's autobiography and he is one strange fellow. I do owe him a debt of thanks I first picked up a guitar on account of him then got serious because of Eric Clapton and finally I became obsessed because of Jimi Hendrix.

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Right on! Now you show how it's done by writing it all in Italian, or whatever your second language is.

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s. you spelt nitpick wrong.

9. gooman

gooman TDPRI Member

love my O7 texas hyw1 vintage pick ups great story now I understand why he put mirrors on it. Page Beck Clapton all so different but all so GREAT

10. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A lot of criticism, but I guess that is the norm. I haven't played this guitar, nor do I have the desire to own one. To those who said they wouldn't own one for all the reasons stated, the guitar wasn't marketed to you. Interesting how some who criticised referenced a Fender they own in comparison. Looks to me like Fender attempts to build guitars to cover just about every possible price point. Gee....what a horrible idea.

If you are a huge Page fan then these guitars will be of interest to you. Whatever the construction methods used or not used, it is intended, I believe, to pay alittle homage to a guitar, and the player who made a significant impact in the guitar world. Gee....what a horrible idea.

The comments too about Jimmy's playing fail to understandtl that it wasn't just technique, or lack of, that he contributed to millions of guitarist. It was the whole package. Chances are none of us here has written anything that is still being heard 40 years after the fact. Yet the criticism runs wild. I just don't understand it.

11. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I believe Page’s father was a manager in some kind of industry; he probably instilled or influenced his son to a strong work ethic.

In those first few years in Zeppelin, it was non stop work for Page. When I read criticisms of his live performances in those early days I just have to laugh - it’s easy to whine and complain, but if one is at work, it’s all about being productive which some internet activity is known to be an escape from.

So for anyone out there writing online, it might be worthwhile to consider that you may be a writer at heart, the pen is a powerful tool, especially when turned to positive outcomes.

I’m a big fan of the combination of Page and these new telecasters. He is an artist, and I admire creative people.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    awasson likes this.
  12. awasson

Classic :lol:

13. Rich Longacre

Rich Longacre NEW MEMBER!

We just got these in here at the shop, and indeed there is something about them. The first thing I noticed was the body depth. It had a "CS" vibe to me, the way it looked deep and squared off on the edges...not like a more sanded, rounded off production piece. Then, the pickups... You start playing 1st album songs and you can't stop because you are hearing connection after connection click on in your brain. To put this guitar in with the custom shop guitars...does not feel improper. We'll get back to you on how well it "bows". For now, it just flat out ROCKS!

awasson and Route67 like this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I only came across this model because I'd like a non relic'd White Blonde/Maple neck USA Tele as an upgrade to my White Blonde Classic 50s Tele (which I'll keep and turn into an Esquire). I like that it's a 7.25" radius as all my Fenders are. However, as someone pointed out a CS model isn't much more (maybe less if I found a used one), though it seems hard finding one that isn't some grade of relic.

No offence to the fans, but I don't know much about Jimmy Page's music as it was a little before my time and I've never really got into it. So I'd feel a bit of a fraud buying one since I don't know how to play any of his songs (well, expect Stairway, but that's not allowed anyway ;) ).

I guess I should have grabbed a '58 AVRi while I could, but I still might give one of these a try (at the risk of upsetting the shop assistant by not playing anything by Page when I try it out :oops:).

15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Regarding Page's technical abilities, here's how I see it.

I think of something I call the skateboard watershed (or, the skateboard analogy). It's just something I thought of one day, and now apply as a way of illustrating what I see as an important shift in the perception of what is possible.

In the late 70s (I think), there was a bit of a skateboard craze. Cool kids could do wheelies and slalom. Super cool kids could even do 360 wheelies. In others words, not that much.

Then later (late 80s / early 90s?), in bowls and half-pipes and on stair rails, Kids were doing quadruple back flip inverted pirouettes while composing haiku and solving quantum mechanics problems.

So I wondered if this was the point in popular culture where youth suddenly realised they could practice something like crazy and get phenomenally good at a technical level, where the perception of what the norm was and what was possible shifted?

Did it start with skateboarding? Is skateboarding just a type specimen? Dunno.

But, there does seem to be some sort of temporal and spatial intersect in California (to me as an outsider at least), with the above skater kids and other kids doing quadruple back flip inverted pirouettes with their fingers on fretboards while composing haiku and solving quantum mechanics problems.

All that's a long winded way of saying, for a long time both what were considered technical proficiency and technical excellence where two things, and later, they were two different things. It's just history and anthropology.

Some can apply great creative élan when doing quadruple back flip inverted pirouettes while composing haiku and solving quantum mechanics problems, and some can't. Others can create, with élan in spades, without the need for the backflips. And some even create with great élan while occasionally tripping over their shoelaces.

Pax/
    Dean

16. MikiLoving

MikiLoving TDPRI Member

I thought they sounded good at the Grande Ballroom in 1969. Best concert I ever saw. Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 7.34.11 AM.jpg

spook69 and Route67 like this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I have to respectfully disagree- nothing personal. The WORST concert I have ever been to back in 1973. We broke down the fence and my best mate spent the stinking hot night in jail. Not a good concert.
    Jimmy Page was so bad we, my mates and I, could play his music better, he was pathetic.

Sure, listen to him on vinyl, that's the best you will ever hear.

18. awasson

I’m just going to leave this from 1973 here. I would have been 9 years old and didn’t know about these guys until a few years later. They seem to be having a pretty good night.

Oh and this too.

19. Jeff B

Jeff B TDPRI Member

Does it get delivered by Jeff Beck in a blue Stingray?

That would be a good deal.

Kezzell, TokyoPortrait and awasson like this.
  20. gooman

gooman TDPRI Member

I seen them at market square in indy 1975 they were not as great as the album work but it sure was cool as ever to see them live drummer sounded GREAT seen the who and queen same year they were totally awesome

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.