History of Jimmy Page's Telecaster Taled By Himself

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by asquinet, Apr 10, 2019.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Is it top dollar? Yep. Are you paying for Page's signature? Yep again, probably around $500 since the AO '60s Tele is $1,999 MAP (maybe more than that considering the AO '60s has binding and the AO '50s is $1,799).

But is it Custom Shop pricing? Sadly - No. Current MAP on a Fender CS is more like $3K minimum these days.

The Page '59 Mirror will street for about $2,125 (that's the typical 15% off MAP you can get at GC/MF - sometimes you can do better at an independent shop).

I don't think these are "limited edition" in that there is a set number to be made, but I think it's just that they will only be made for one year like some of the Anniversary models Fender has done in the past. Which means hopefully there will be a period of time when you can get a used one for the more typical "60% of MAP used price" - which would be around $1,500 when they first start showing up used - before they start appreciating in value.

Geo likes this.
  2. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I owuldn't mind having a reproduction of the "dragon" Tele, as it appeared in the early days of Zeppelin, but I'm sure I could take any Tele to a good artist, along with a few screen grabs from that video of them doing Dazed And Confused said, "Paint this guitar so it looks like that picture", and be done with it. I'm sure I could do that for way less money than the actual dragon Teles that Fender are making. And no, I don't need Pagey's signature on the back of the headstock. To me, autographs mean nothing when I don't acquire them myself.

(as a side note about autographs, a few yeras me ago, some friends and myself went to see Tony Levin perform with one of his many bands. One of my friends, a record collector brought the very first record Tony ever played on: an album by the Boston Youth Orchestra, or something like that, recorded live, during a performance before President Kennedy. Tony was, needless to say, surprsied to see that record, since only the records were only distributed to members of the orchestra who played that day. Tony mentions that each musician also got a letter, "signed by JFK", commenting on how wonderful the performance was, and thanking the musicians, etc. Well, Tony said years late,r he took it to have it authenticated/appraised, and he was told that JFK never signed those kind of things himself. The signature was either a reproduction, or something where a staff member did it, in JFK's stead. So that's what I think whenever I see things like where someone's supposedly signed something like this)

grooveiron likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The mirrored version from Fender seems asinine. The dragon version though... I still wouldn't buy it but I see the attraction.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I suspect that's why they made the Dragon an MIM Roadworn model - Fender figured more people would want it so they made it somewhat more affordable ($1,399 MAP).

Route67 likes this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jimmy Page is why I bought my first Gibson Les Paul, my first Marshall half stack, and my first Fender Telecaster.

Guess you could say his music has some serious influence on my tastes in gear and music.

I love the look of a white Telecaster (sans the mirrors) and the Rosewood neck. Sorry that I sold my white American Standard Telecaster six months ago.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Route67 likes this.
  6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

If the mirror JP does in fact have a true size thick slab Rosewood board I can see some of the extra
    in the pricing there plus the other features.
    I haven't any interesting purchasing one though.

7. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

Here is the Interview of the making of artist signature, it seems to me his involvement is very deep. And he enjoyed it thinking about it and re-creating it, And it is a strong and true replica of his tone and the guitar he played.

Paul Waller talks about selecting very specific pieces of ash, working and collaborating, Jimmy page actually hand paints many of the dragons. I'd like to have a guitar that was hand-painted by Jimmy page.

It looks like a strong effort to create a link to the history also seems to reflect and capture his thinking of the time, everybody was into mirrors and light beams" he says, very nice video.

8. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

If the Roadworn Dragon Tele hits one of my local shops I’ll be jumping all over it.

9. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Irondog likes this.
  10. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Keep in mind these have poly under the nitro, which is piss poor considering the price.

rze99 likes this.
  11. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Slab board yes. I consider the poly a push since it looks really fantastic.

Also of note: CS tele's are down to $2500 now? (I know - there is always kvetching about pricing and that this pushes the envelope...but... you get a slimmer profile neck than even the AV62/64 from what i have felt, custom pickups, slab board with some nice rosewood so far, Top loader...)

I played one and really liked it. Liked the sound and loved the neck. Looked good too. Like any signature - are those features worth the extra 200-300 bucks?

12. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The violin bow is something he copied from Eddie Phillips of the Creation. There are videos all over You Tube of the Creation performing Painter Man and Eddie using the violin bow during the break. The Creation's lead singer, Kenny (Lee) Pickett left the band and became a road manager for LZ. He passed the violin bow suggestion to Jimmy Page.

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I still think of Paul Weller as a Rickenbacker 330 player. The Jam!

14. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Cool story, bro!

15. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

You try playing a song live that had tons of overdubs on the studio version, while smacked out of your mind.

16. Fretts

Fretts TDPRI Member

Jimmy Page is not a virtuoso guitarist. What he is though, is a genius at arrangement, texture, continuity, orchestration and musical dramatic effect. The way he combines and paces guitar tones is as good as it gets. He had the long game all mapped out from the beginning and saw it through over years. He has plenty on the ball without having to outgun anybody in a guitar smackdown. Zeppelin was a product of his imagination and genius. I saw the band four times - 1970, 1973, 1976 and the Plant-Page tour that was all Zep material. The best guitar playing was 1970, after that it was overdone and tedious onstage. But the recorded music stayed topnotch. He deserves total respect for his genius, he's just a different animal than say, Jeff Beck, or young Eric Clapton who don't have his ability for design and "musical architecture".
    Back to the guitar - I can't get excited about any of the artist replica guitars that come out of Fender and Gibson Custom Shops/ It's remarkable what they can do, and I like holding one and admiring it for five minutes, but I can't picture appearing in public holding a clone of somebody else's individuality...
    That's the way I see it!

Pointmonger likes this.
  17. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

What's the difference between the Fender 58 Vintage and the Fender 64 Vintage pickups?

18. markxus25

markxus25 TDPRI Member

I had heard Jeff Beck sanded away the top edge of a white Tele for an arm contour, was this the one he gifted to Page? It looks nice but not at that price.

19. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I've owned many Fender Telecaster's. I had a gorgeous 2008 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster "Aged Cherry 'Burst" which had the "Samarian Cobalt" pickup's. It was a really great Tele. I kind of wish I would have kept it but it went to a really great home. Then, I bought a "Used" 2014 Fender "60th Anniversary" American Special Telecaster in White. It had the good Fender pickup's but I noticed that those early Tele Specials had flat pole pieces on the bridge pickup. Well, this particular Tele was one of those "scratch your head" because it sounded way better than I thought it would or should. It was a real gem. Like an idiot I sold it. I tried to find another one but I have not had any success.
    So, I just got the Sam Ash Music catalog and they are offering (2) versions of the "Jimmy Page '59 Telecaster". The Blonde one is listed at $1949.00 with HSC and the "Dragon" version is listed at $1,399.00 also with HSC. Does anyone know if the "Dragon" version uses Rosewood or Pau Ferro for the fretboard? I am currently Teleless.

20. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

"Taled By Himself" .... what does "Taled" mean?
    (spelling checker on?)

Sorry to nitpik spelling, but how does someone miss this in the title of and a one sentence posting?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.