history of 62 custom production

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by shednz, Mar 13, 2019.

1. shednz

shednz TDPRI Member

Hi folks,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with when 62 customs have been produced in the USA?

There is one here for sale in NZ : https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1979719067

that the seller is advertising as late 80s U.S made. I thought the vintage reissues were all Japanese until the late 90s? were they producing any in the U.S in the 80s?

Cheers for any info.

SheldonP likes this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

As per this post by John C. (2nd post in thread):

History of AVRI?

Looks like American Vintage Reissue 62 Telecasters were only made from 1999-2012.

Now, looking at your ad, the serial number is in plain sight and can be used to search Fenders Serial Number Registry... which I did for you. It shows a picture of a black Tele Custom, and says AVRI 62 (1999-2012) so that would appear to make it legit.

The pictures also have me concerned (for you) about a few other things.
    1) the headstock isn't well photographed, but the decal doesn't appear to be right for a '62 custom. I could be wrong about that, but it makes me a bit suspicious.
    2) the controls are flipped.
    3) the ad says the pickups are twisted teles, I don't think that would have been stock.
    4) the ad says it's from the 80's and this person either has no idea what they have, or they've made some changes to an 80s Tele.

Edit to add:
    5) I'm not an expert, but the case of my '62 AVRI Jazzmaster (same era build) was a brown tolex case with gold interior, so the ad says OHSC but I don't believe that is true.
    6) the saddles were probably also threaded steel saddles on the original.

shednz and SheldonP like this.
  3. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

I'm with you. IIRC the AVRI 62 Custom was introduced in '98 or '99. Couldn't have been much earlier as I got my first new MIJ 62 Custom in '96. I bought MIJ because there wasn't a US option available at that point in time other than a Custom Shop build.

Edit: Posted about the same time as AlbertaGriff....

shednz likes this.
  4. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

62's are still made through Wildwood Guitars. They will be releasing their next one next year sometime that is surf green with a rosewood neck, white double bound, nitro finish.

shednz likes this.
  5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

It should say “Custom Telecaster” on the headstock, which I don’t see. Black was a VERY rare color for these. I’ve only seen maybe 1 or 2 ever. The case should be brown with orange lining. The saddles should be threaded steel instead of steel barrel. Lots of red flags aside from the obviously wrong date. I’m not buying any AVRI stuff without seeing neck pocket and heel stamps, especially if there are other warning signs.

shednz and AlbertaGriff like this.
  6. shednz

shednz TDPRI Member

Cheers all - love the black with white binding (and the opposite actually) but yeah alarm bells were going off. Thanks for the confirmation.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The stock pickups were AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster pickups, AlNiCo 3, and unique to this model.

shednz and AlbertaGriff like this.
  8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

The '80's MIJ versions had headstocks with this decal:

80's_MIJ_hstock.jpg

And they also had this, but it wasn't hard to remove:

80's_MIJ_neck.jpg

rze99 likes this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

jondanger likes this.
  10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I want to chime in, but Im not a AVRI expert.

But I recently acquired a AV62 Tele in a pawnshop here Oz.. See thread here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.908114/

I never had doubts when I saw mine because when the pawnshop owner was letting me see it and all things it came with, I know it came with a G&G case, brown with orange lining, and all of the reasons jondanger posted

This is the case it should come with

[​IMG]

Headstock should look like this

[​IMG]

A bit hard to see but it should come with threaded saddles UNCOMPENSATED

[​IMG]

Also, I disassembled it when I got it and found two dates (October and November within the same year, 2004.. I still sent an inquiry to Fender Customer Relations here's the email: consumerrelations@fender.com and they came back with a production date of Jan 11, 2005 which is not far off from the neck stamps, and it's the same color as what they have in their data base. 3-tone sunburst with double binding.. Also took the pickguard off expecting something horrible, but I got a three piece body, nicely matched and a clean pickup route for a bridge tele pickup and a clean pickup route for a single neck tele pickup.. so that was a bonus for me.. at least the body is routed correctly for a vintage spec tele.

I did a search on the serial numbers, all serial numbers have year indicators on when they were made except American Vintage Reissues, you have to take the neck off and send the serial number to Fender for verification.. I thought mine was 2014 based on my serial number as it read V14xxxx

Also theres a chance that this is a real American Vintage Reissue because of that "V" in the serial number.. I know my guitars, and if I want to con someone for money, I would buy a neck plate with a "V" serial number, ask Fender about it, and buy the body, neck, etc etc that corresponds to the specs in Fender's database, and that would be hard to do.. imagine me buying all things from 2004-2005 just to match Fender's database record.

I think someone changed the bridge saddles.. also you need to have a close up of the headstock, the decal should be above the finish, you can feel it, it can be easily scratched off from age or something. but I think I dont see a "Custom Telecaster" in that headstock.. probably the neck have been changed over the years? if thats the case, the seller cant ask that much money for a partscaster.

Also these came in Nitro, I never had nitro guitar until this, so I know it is Nitro.

thats just my two cents, you need to do your homework to check authenticity of this guitar.

Honestly, I still have doubts until now, even if it matches Fender's database specs and all. after cleaning it, it was a closet classic condition, not a mark on the frets and fretboard, but the body has some new dings, probably came from the pawnshop and from not carefully handling the guitar.

Anyone couldve done a good faking, if they know what theyre doing, but it was selling for the same price as the Japanese 62 Tele next to it in the pawnshop I went to, and because of the signs (V serial number, and case), I quickly acted on it and I traded my American Pro and added a little money on top of it, and I got a good deal out of the trade.. the tele plays and sounds great, so I think Im okay in that regard.. I will never know the history of this guitar, but Id like to think I got my grail now and Im happily playing it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I feel any guitar of this VALUE, it is worth sending a full compliment of photo's to an expert , such as Gruhn. adding another $100 on top could be a savior. If the seller doesn't send a full compliment of detailed photo's as requested, we should walk. Quite frankly if I was selling a guitar of this pedigree and value I would have already done the due diligence and included it with the sale. And I have.

We have seen time and time again, sellers offering Instruments that were not what they were stated to be. For various reasons. It can easily be they THINK it's what it is because thats how they bought it , or it can easily be a legitimate scam . I'm not saying the 62 in this thread is a scam, I'm just saying the guitar needs to be verified and certified for this amount of money. USA 62's are indeed rare in comparison to MIJ or Crafted In Japan counterparts, which are half the price.

Many years back I sold a 57 Strat, it was BLACK . Everyone hollered at me that Fender never made a Black 57 Strat. Well, they did. I purchased it from the original owner and had the receipt for the special order. Even at that, I had the guitar verified / certified by a very well known NY dealer along with the paperwork. The guitar was sold to a touring player at the time.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

14. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Ad says: USA Late 90s Fender Telecaster, but I agree with the others, doesn't look real to me.

15. dreamingtele

16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does yours have that "dark circuit" in position 3 - where it sounds like the tone control is rolled all the way off? That would be the stock wiring.

Most people who mod these go to "modern wiring" (position 1 bridge/position 2 both/position 3 neck) with the tone control active in all 3 positions, but occasionally someone will mod an AVRI Tele by just clipping off the "dark circuit" capacitor, leaving the neck pick on in both positions 2 and 3 and possibly not wiring the tone pot to position 3.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. dreamingtele

I was indeed expecting the dark circuit, like tone control rolled off....

BUT position 3 neck pickup thats supposed to be dark, is not dark, I'm surprised that the tone is actually like the neck pickup with the tone control full on but no tone control.. position 2 is the neck pickup but with tone control.. This is why I am wondering if it was re-wired by the previous owner to leave the neck pickup on in both positions 2 and 3.. I did unscrew the control plate and I am not sure what I am looking at anyway...

the only thing is that there is an orange thingy (capacitor?) included thats inside the case candy bag when I got it from the pawnshop.. sooo. I am not sure what that is, what its supposed to do in my guitar. LOL

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'd say there are too many "different" things on this guitar to take a chance at that price. To me it seems like a nice parts guitar.

The headstock should at the very least say Telecaster on it, & a neck plate with a serial number isn't the best proof.

Enough things have been modified that it shouldn't get top dollar even if it is legit.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It seems like the previous owner didn't rewire it to modern, they just removed the "dark circuit" capacitor so your settings are:

Position 1: bridge pickup with tone control
    Position 2: neck pickup with tone control
    Position 3: neck pickup with no tone control

The orange capacitor is probably the "modern wiring value" capacitor.

I never had one of these but I did have an AVRI '52; when I had mine rewired to modern I had them keep the vintage wiring capacitor on the tone pot (not the "dark circuit" capacitor; the one active in positions 1 and 2) instead of swapping it for the modern tone capacitor that was in the case materials.

20. dreamingtele

Thats a good tip.. I may actually do that too..

The thing is, I actually like it to rewire to modern, but with a tweak.. Bridge with no tone control, just volume, and 2 and 3 are your normal modern wiring.. Im on the bridge 95% of the time and I dont mess with the tone anyway, so it makes sense for me to just remove the tone control.. I havent tried it, as I dont know how to solder, but its a good time to try it on this since Im gonna re-wire it anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.