Historical Accuracy vs. Modern Improvements

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by markesquire, Mar 29, 2009.

1. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

I like the hot rod approach. Mostly vintage looks with some tweeked details to make it feel/perform just a little more to my liking. Form should follow function. I like reversed control plates and a flatter radius on the neck because they work best for me. Any instrument that gets played enough should be the way the player wants it - whether that's 100% stock, a handbuilt custom or anywhere in between.

2. hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565 Tele-Meister

+1. I like to stick to vintage as much as possible. The only exception being the big frets.

3. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

I like the overall vintage look, but with minor improvements such as 4 way switch, and for some reason I like a larger radius on the roundover...

4. bosstone

bosstone Tele-Afflicted

If a better result is the goal and resale and collectability aren't the concern, by all means, take from the best of both.

5. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

well, i s'pose it's a good thing Leo wasn't bound to tradition....

Nostalgia aside, just because something's of a certain age/vintage doesn't necessarily mean it's great....conversely, a technological "advance" isn't always a step up....

6. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I don't really have a preference. As long as it looks good, plays good and sounds good I'm okay with it. When I build one from scratch, however it turns out is usually what I was aiming for. ;)

7. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

In the quest for a more vintage-correct guitar, I like building vintage-correct guitars with vintage-style modifications.

For instance the mid-production 1967 Esquire I built is kind of an extreme example.

Right now it has replaced 1970's vintage Schaller tuners (but you can see the tuner holes and imprints from where the original tuners were installed), Ernie Ball brass saddles, straplocks, a 1978 diMarzio volume pot, a black guard, and a control plate with some extra holes (apparently someone installed some extra pickups in the 1970's, back when it was just "some old guitar").

8. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

"Modern improvements" for me!
    A guitar is a tool fo making music, not a fetish, where you have to obsess about the "correct" details. Anything that makes it work better for your playing style is great.
    I never understood the reason for building "vintage correct" replicas - if you want one of those, buy a vintage guitar, or one of the many vintage reproductions already sold by Fender and others - building a guitar for me only makes sense when you want to add/change some details that can NOT be found on already existing vintage models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.