Historical Accuracy vs. Modern Improvements

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by markesquire, Mar 29, 2009.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Which do you subscribe to? It seems like some really want to maintain strict historical accuracy down to every minute detail, while others freely add no-cut bridges, electrosockets, larger frets, etc etc etc.

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The things are to play.

If you know what I mean.

:)

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

for me, i love the vintage styling ... but in the end, it's all about the sound ... i don't obsess over correctness, color, specs, country of origin, or manufacturer ...

4. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

I just want it to look "right".
    In all honesty, I think the headstock on the "lumbercaster" build looks more natural and right than the regular tele head(shock!)!
    Beside that, I'm all about improvements.
    No noise? Great.
    Endless sustain? Great.
    Frets that will last 40 years straight of playing "eruption"? Great.
    Vibrato tailpiece that will stay in tune during play(including when doing bends)? Amazing.
    Sustainable, lightweight and great-sounding tonewoods? Great.
    Hexatonic pickups and a 9-pin out available? Great for someone, don't mind it for me.
    Piezo bridge? Why not?

5. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

What he said!

Tim

6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Another ditto. As long as it looks right, plays well and sounds good, I don't care one iota how or from what materials and parts it was built.:)

7. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Modern improvements here, but I think it depends on the project. If I was thinking of building a replica of a 50s era guitar I'd probably go with all of the vintage stuff just to keep it accurate. But that's only if I was doing it as a true repro project.

Otherwise, there's often a reason they don't do things the way they used to: the old way was ****.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Teles, I like vintage three saddle bridges, kluson tuners, nitro finishes (whether it affects the tone or not) and the all the colors that were available in the 50's.

I also like rosewood fretboards, big frets, 9 1/2 inch radii. And compensated brass saddles on those vintage bridges.

So where does that put me?

I also would really like a tele with a P90 in the neck. So it's unlike any vintage tele, but with a pickup that dates back to before there were teles. Now I'm confusing myself!

It's about the combination of features that I like, not when those features were invented.

9. drgonzo2

drgonzo2 Tele-Meister

Depends...

If you want a vintage style tele, then vintage style it is...

If you want a modernised tele, then modernised it is...

It's a matter of personal taste. Some like vintage spec, some like modern, some like a little of both. My personal choice would be a little of both - split-post klusons, a six saddle bridge, slim-C neck on a nitro finished body. When building your own (or having one built), all these decisions are specific to whoever is paying for the build...

... G

10. glebe digital

glebe digital Tele-Meister

Sonic substance wins over visual style for me........I don't really care how it looks but we're lucky with the Tele, it's original incarnation was a near perfect guitar imho.

Leo just hit the nail on the head, every other guitar is a diversion from that initial perfection.........genius may not be too strong a word.

11. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

No such thing as "Modern Improvements" ... (-;

12. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

1. Does it play well?
    2. Does it sound good?
    3. Do the looks not embarrass you?

13. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Gatton, Buchanan, Page, and Lavigne. Sounds like a law firm.

Mike Bruce

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I guess I'm into a "10 foot vintage" thing. From ten feet away, it looks vintage. Get closer and you can see some details that are not vintage-correct.

15. Astro1176

Astro1176 Tele-Holic

Generally, I don't car too hoots, I'm not a museum curator. However, after lots of guitars that weren't the real deal, or were unique entities in themselves, I wanted my first tele to have a full on definitive tele sound and feel, and might as well go for look too. Since at my initial time of looking, I was very unsure what might make a tele sound like it does, I wanted as much original stuff as possible, like through stringing, wood choice, 3 barrel brass bridge etc.

For me the Baja was a great compromise of original fittings and modern touches. The fact it kinda looks like a blackguard is an added bonus

16. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Whatever floats your boat. If "vintage correct" inspires you and gives you "mojo" then it does.

For me, I build better than I play :oops:, so messing with parts and other "modern innovations" gives me "mojo"... and I enjoy it. Which leads me to messing around with the home-brews more, which leads to better playing, etc. :rolleyes:

(Besides which the wife digs ones I build myself - or maybe she likes that I cleaned up the garage to make space to build. Inquiring minds let sleeping wives lie. :eek:)

Cheers,

Murray

17. PaisleyRocks

PaisleyRocks Tele-Holic

There's a reason that Leo Fender did it the way he did. You may not even know what you're messing with. The smallest detail could mean a world of difference in how the guitar plays. There's a reason why so many players seek out vintage gear. They just did it better in the old days.

Modern "improvements" are a slippery slope. In the interest of better intonation, a "faster" neck, etc. you might end up losing something you didn't even know was there. In my (albeit limited) experience, I've found that the vintage spec stuff just sounds/feels better.

18. Astro1176

Astro1176 Tele-Holic

In terms of 'original is best' theory, or 'Leo got it right first time' - it is interesting to look at the 'Who belongs to this Telecaster?????' thread and see how many famous telecasters have been changed a lot from their vintage or standard spec to create great music...

19. Viqbang

Viqbang TDPRI Member

Vintage is great.
    Modern is great.

Neither are better...they are simply different.

The guitar is unique in that it can be treated not only as a tool but as a functional piece of art. As such, the decision making process is influence by a combination of that which is expedient and that which is attractive.

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

My personal opinion is improvements are called improvements for a reason. But each one is certainly open to debate. I pick and choose what I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.