Hisses and rattles from Champion 600 speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pino, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

I have my champ 600 from just two days and I am already angry enough. At volume between 9 and twelve the speaker vibrates producing unpleasant hisses and rattles when I play low E string.
    It is this possible for a fender brand new amp also if cheap?
    I have a 15 watt acoustasonic that works also for the electric much better than this champ. Lost money? (About 160 €)
    Anyone can help me to understand and maybe do something to fix the problem?
    Thanks in advance

2. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Maybe see if some screws or nuts need to be tightened. Might help.

3. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

It's probably that chamois they call grill cloth. Replace the grill cloth with some real grill cloth:

[​IMG]

Of course I've done more than just that to mine! Some of those mods and many others can be found throughout this thread: Champion 600 Upgrades

or here: Champ 600 Owners Club

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

The stock 6.5" speaker is crappy.

My first Champion 600 ended up with a new baffle board and an 8" Weber Signature ceramic for less speaker buzz/flub and more volume. That was a decent improvement overall but a bit of work to do.

My second 600 stayed entirely stock. If I didn't use a humbucker guitar or turn up the volume above 8 it was OK.

The Champion 600 sounds very nice driving a bigger 4 ohm speaker cabinet

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yea that's what the stock speaker does with volumes above 9. It is what it is, a cheap budget 6" speaker. Easiest cure is a EQ pedal out front and cut out most of the bass hitting amp.

Get eminence 620h or 820h hemp cone speaker.

If you want thumping low E string goodness you bought the wrong amp.

6. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

I did the 8" weber Sig, took out the tone stack, and a new grill cloth. It really screams now but not much clean tone. If I was going to do it again, I'd do a jumper around teh tone stack and hook it to a switch.

7. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

Yesterday I brought tha champ to my liuther and amp tech. He tried the amp and said that the problem is the speaker or the tubes. So he will look and will say to me what to do. I'll post the news I hope soon.
    In the meantime thanx to all.

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

If he does want to trade the speaker, don't waste your/his time with the Jensen Mod 6-15, as it's specs and tonal response are nearly identical to the stock Fender's (see this blog). The Eminence 620H would be ideal, but may be difficult to get, as they are new and I not sure of what the availability in Europe is. Otherwise, an 8" conversion might be in store. This isn't very hard to do, if you can cut and drill the wood. Make a copy of the stock baffle on ¼" (6mm) birch plywood, but locate the speaker cutout as far left and low as possible when viewed from the rear. Use small t-nuts to secure the speaker, paint it flat black and put some real grill cloth on it.

Here's what mine looked like from the rear:

[​IMG]

That's a Weber Speakers (← web site) Alnico Signature 8 Speaker(←speaker description). Yesterday, I swapped that speaker for an Alnico Signature 8S, for a brighter , less hollow/boxy sound and a bit more of a chimey tone. Note: I rewired my PCB to 5F1 specs (bias, filter caps and all, not just the tone stack), so a late 50's tone is what I'm after.

Compare the above speaker and baffle with this one, a stock baffle with a Weber Alnico Signature 6.

[​IMG]

See how the stock 6" speaker baffle has the speaker centered in the cab. An 8" speaker would hit the output transformer and possibly interfere with the 6V6 power tube.

Alnico seakers are most commonly used, as they have the vintage breakup/distortion tones and are warm without sounding stiff or sharp, as a ceramic speaker can.

9. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i almost bought one of these, but did not. most of you guys got it when they were blown out for 99.00. the one i was looking at was cheap but beat to hell. i passed.
    maybe one day ill get one to play around with. looks like fun to mod ( at least simple mods about all i can do. speaker upgrade would be simple tho )

chris.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's another vote for an Eminence hemp cone 620H or 820H. I have a Bugera V5 that I installed an 820H in and it really transforms the amp. Much more open sounding and far less boxy.

11. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

Finally the tech email me that the speaker is broken. Now I have asked him to find a replacement. To be continued....:)

12. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

Pino, I have been through a few speaker changes on the Champion 600. Here's my thoughts:

1) Original speaker is ratty sounding, but voiced pretty well

2) Weber Signature 6 - Overly aggressive, unless that is what you are looking for

3) Jensen - Mod 6" - sounds similar to the stock speaker, slightly better but still ratty at higher volume

4) Weber Alnico 6" - The best speaker of them all, retains the tone at high volumes without overly breaking up. The best $50 I spent.

Also, it would be a good idea to replace the grill cloth. The original is like a blanket over the amp. For $20 and a few staples, it is worth it.

13. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

14. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

Finally here we go!

This afternoon tech email me that the Champ is ready to come back home! He replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen Ch 15, I think because is the only available here in Italy and the rattles, he said, are gone away. But the extra bonus and pleasant surprise is that he has replaced the stock tubes with a Sovtek 124X7 WB and a Electro Harmonix 6V6! Tomorrow I'll go to bring it home.I'm very happy and eager to try it. Maybe after I'll post some audio clips.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jensen ch15 points me to a 15" speaker on web. Bet that'll be interesting.

16. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

No, it is CH6 15, I beg your pardon!

17. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

The EH 6v6 is a definite upgrade over the stock power tube.

18. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

New tubes definitely improve the sound. I put a couple of JJs in and it fixed a lot of the problems I had with the original sound (tighter bottom, less spikey high end). The Weber alnico 6 looks like the best straight replacement for the stock speaker; I hope to try one in my amp in the near future.

19. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.