1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hipster Pi**ed Over His Photo in Article on Hipsters Looking the Same…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Mar 8, 2019.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

sounds like your life is all Bad Dog all the time! :twisted:

2. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

The same thing happens to aging guitarists

[​IMG]

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Sigh. Both threads are about the guy requesting his pic to be moved, and it turns out not to be him.

But, hey, it’s Saturday, the sky is blue and I’m enjoying a nice cup of coffee. So, whatever.

4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Our own TDPRI hipsters arguing about the same thing but thinking they are different.
    [​IMG]

koen, BorderRadio and Wallo Tweed like this.
  5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Capt. Picard would not have asked to be beamed "up" if he was sitting on the bridge, not to mention that Scotty (Montgomery Scott) was only on one episode of Star Trek:Next Generation ("Relics") and, to my knowledge, did not operate the Enterprise-D's transport system during that episode.
    So what's up with this meme?

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I ignored all the other threads but since it’s becoming a ‘conforming’ trend— I finally dug in :D

Interesting use of agent based models. I’m not sure the point in codifying non-conformists as ‘hipsters’, other than to draw in attention. An easy, sensational target, even in 2014. If Touboul’s conclusion is that large groups of people synchronize in patterns according to propagation delay, well it’s kinda like a ‘duh’ moment there. The issue is associating current hipsterism as non-conformity, and vice versa, as it translates to the market (how we buy, what we buy, and if it’s for sale). I’m very critical of this model, lol.

So the guy in the photo is supposedly upset, so what? It’s easy to run with the MIT article as proof that hipsters are lame. All it took was some maths and other abstractions to replicate human systems (which we barely understand). It’s not proof of anything really, just a model. So dude mistaking himself isn’t really important, but it gets the clicks, right? My soul patch tells me that states of conformity and non-conformity are in flux but everybody tries to look good in the eyes of others. The model doesn’t know what to do with my man-bun, as it is not hipster but traditional. See, I was uncool before being uncool was cool...

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

haha that's awesome

8. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Living near Asbury Park NJ, I know that guy! Or at least someone that looks like him....
    Even parking in Asbury is too cool for you.

20160828_132100.jpg

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah I know that but hipsters don’t

10. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Maybe the new Mods can create a new Forum on TDPRI called something like "Types Of People We Despise". I'm sure it would get a lot of visits.

stevemc and Chip like this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    chemobrain likes this.
  12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Are these hipsters avowing their non-conformity? Have any of them spoken about that?

We are inferring that they want to appear non-conformist, but I have another view. When I was a kid, I didn't want to draw attention to how I looked and dressed. Don't mean to imply that I was unhappy or ostracized, I just didn't want hurdles in that area. I remember telling my mom that I didn't want to be laughed at for wearing non-Converse tennis shoes. I made enough of a big deal about it, that I was set with Converse tennis shoes for the rest of school. I didn't want to show off my shoes, I just want to slip into the crowd.

I am more of the opinion that non-conformists in some areas, clothing for example, are more interested in fitting in with their crowd. I don't think they are thumbing their noses at anybody. They just want to look good, as defined by their friends, etc.

P Thought likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You are a grumpy old man, but that is okay. EVABODY got to be sumthin'.

14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

If you don’t care for VU I can just put something else on if you come over. No big deal.

15. omahaaudio

16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:cool: O.K. FUN . LETS FORGET ABOUT STEREOTYPING THOSE THAT SERVE AS CONVENIENT OBJECTS OF DERISION
    whoops that darned caps lock my bad, I apologize for shouting,
    start again. (pause....clears two finger typing throat of phlegm spits)
    let's forget hipsters, hippies, pancultural iconists, surrealistic techno acid colonists
    every "joke" I make about anything someone is picking up the tab of that "joke" .
    which is the nature of humor .
    lets just pummel the stuffing out of slurs in the form and couchediness innocence,
    My people, as grandma gwin sez are of scandinavian in origin and heritage, (Gwin is actually a German name in some places)
    we are not european in culture language, or world view. we are close friends with the Finnish people,
    who in their own wonderful way are unique both historical and culturally. our cousins in Iceland are very close to us in many ways. we scandinavians don't make jokes that the Icelandic peoples have to pick the tab up on or Fins or Danes,or Norwegians, or northern Sweds , not at home where you can talk S**t about anyone you want to. we are family and no matter if mamma's children all have different fathers or not, papa doesn't mind, nor do our "Cousins", because we are all family....:twisted:
    if your still waiting for the punch line, this is the joke that you pick up the tab on :p .

17. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

yeah the home boys gettin' it .

18. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

This leads to one of my favorites . The spokesperson or leader of the anarchists .
    Give me reckless abandon within the boundaries of logic and reason .

19. omahaaudio

I've spent time in Scandinavia and they often make jokes about folks from other Scandinavian countries and about people from other regions of their own country. One example being the folks in "cosmopolitan" Copenhagen joke about the "rubes" from Aarhus, another being the "Finnish" Finns saying insulting things about the "Swedish" Finn minority in that country. The Swedes and Finns joke about the Sámi (the folks in Lapland).

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Is it going to be funny, when the "hipsters" on this forum, start posting threads making fun of "rednecks"?

chemobrain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.