Hipster lifestyle too expensive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele salivas, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

This thread needs some musical expression

2. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Good point again. My problem with (current) hipsters is the feigning of being outside the social norm when they are the social norm for people in their '20s. I don't dislike them per se, just the attitude. The whole definition of a hipster is to give up your style and convictions for whatever is hip. I do not see how that is being "different." I don't care what they do though, if they have fun living the lifestyle, then great! I just get annoyed (not to the point of having grief about it of course) by the whole interpretations of themselves.

3. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

We used to live a few blocks from a little dive bar in a fairly gentrified/well off area of St. Louis. It was known for their $1.50 cheap beers (PBR, Hamm's, Old Style, etc.) and was a hipster magnet. They seemed like good folks and I enjoyed grabbing a drink there on occasion, but I always got a kick out of how similar they all looked - like a black-framed glasses and flannel shirt convention or something. Then again, I look like most of the other mid-30s middle class people here, so who am I to make fun of them :D

4. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't do? Or couldn't do? :)

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, with that face you could play any guitar in any GC in this country. That face bespeaks wealth, honesty, and integrity in equal portions.

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

no, like hipsters. :p Don't ever mention the man around a hipster, man.

7. tele salivas

Studio John, you have man cave to defeat all man caves, you have awesome collection of firearms, love of a good family, and you look like Fred Flintstone, so people trust and confide in you...

this Pabst's for you!

hipster dunk.jpg

8. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

<LIKE>

:D

Yeah, John's a good dude for sure. But I would never insult him by calling him a hipster ;)

9. TheBear

TheBear TDPRI Member

One thing that I love about hipsters and their culture is that many sell off their Fenders, Gibsons, Taylors, etc in order to fund their "obscure beginner brand copy of a copy" guitar in an effort to be original with gear nobody else has.

Well, there's a reason nobody else plays guitars that are of that bad quality. Thanks for the deal on the Fender US Standard Strat that wasn't ironic enough for you. I'll now go eat some chain-store BBQ and listen to James Taylor, in -ironically.

10. TheBear

TheBear TDPRI Member

One thing that I love about hipsters and their culture is that many sell off their Fenders, Gibsons, Taylors, etc in order to fund their "obscure beginner brand copy of a copy" guitar in an effort to be original with gear nobody else has.

Well, there's a reason nobody else plays guitars that are of that bad quality. Thanks for the deal on the Fender US Standard Strat that wasn't ironic enough for you. I'll now go eat some chain-store BBQ and listen to James Taylor, un-ironically.

11. tele salivas

Oldster alert! Incoming!!!

12. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Thousands of acres of land producing food on an industrial scale, highly mechanised processes, Massive economies of scale - we grow our own veg, but in terms of time and effort spent on it VS any short term cost savings - I could have been working for enough money to buy twice as much.

Tastes nice though... and it's a nice hobby.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

nonsense John! you are some small wardrobe additions (and some classic ray bans) and a little product in your hair away from being a hipster.. it is not out of reach... you are still choosing to not be cool in that way... which makes you cool.

14. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Hippies in the '60s, hipsters today. People don't change.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's so nice of you but I lack the confidence required to be a hipster. I'm not configured properly. I really look like Fred Flintstone. I bought a Carhartt winter jumpsuit so I could get out of bed in my PJ's, jump right into the suit and get on my tractor to clear the driveway in winter. I move about a half mile of snow and I enjoy it. A really attractive employee girl at the farm supply store saw me looking at the suits and she said "double X short!"

I said "excuse me?"

She said "Construction guys shop here all the time and I size them up......you're a XXL Short jump suit......just try one"

It fit perfectly. I felt like such an @ss.

I have issues. :rolleyes: I need a personal trainer if I'm going to become a hipster. I want to be tall in my next life.

Double X Short.......deal with that coming from a hot chick. :eek:;)

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

But John, the girls who work at Tractor Supply aren't in to hipsters. So at least you've got that in your favor.

17. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I don't view them as being really too hip, more like fadsters, trendies, pretentious bores in many cases.

18. tele salivas

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.