Hipster lifestyle too expensive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele salivas, Jul 15, 2014.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

2. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

“Do I miss hanging out at a brewery, drinking with a scarf on and talking about Radiohead tattoos? Actually, no. No I don’t. I’m finally free to go to a Buffalo Wild Wings and watch sports on Sunday, while drinking a giant Budweiser.” said Loy ecstatically. “The ironic thing is if I didn’t make this change, I would have been close to living out of my van, which would have made me a god among hipsters.”

That's some funny stuff there son.

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like an Onion article. Funny. If it's real it's even funnier..

4. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

It's under the 'Fake News' header and the about page shows:

So yea, fake.

Carl

5. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

In Waco, you've got to be a cotton top to be a hipster...

6. tele salivas

Yes, it is fake, but that's not the thrust of the article. There has been a lot of research into how people will spend more and more money to signal to others how committed they are to being green, or environmentally conscious to some degree. Starbucks or your local coffee hot spot is a place where the pecking order is especially strong. It's huge, green is like the new preppy.

7. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I understand, and understand the poke. Just pointing out to the folks who weren't sure whether or not it was a fake article :)

Carl

8. tele salivas

Yeah, I thought you did, Freejack. I should have directed the quote back to the thread. I think most of us here are probably not concerned with this on a conscious level, but we know these things ooze there way indirectly into all sort of choices. For example, what kind of association do those who pine for that tele made of 140 year old wood from an old railroad bridge have with North Face consumers? Are they one and the same? What kind of granola is everyone chewing on? How the hell did Pabst Blue Ribbon become a choice against Heineken? A beer can as ironic status symbol, and buying computers as a green choice...I think the irony gets lost somewhere along the way, and these things get real serious. not scary, just unfunny.

9. tele salivas

The mustache is a nice touch. Guys are beginning to look like dear old dad did in the '70's...

hipster_wifebeater_shirt.jpg

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

North Face consumers, I prefer "South Butt" myself

11. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Ain't that Krist Novoselic??

:D

<ducks and runs off>

12. tele salivas

Perfect. It is like the spawn of grunge has reared its head. Designer flannel back then, now people want it to be even more authentic. Kids spend lot of money to get sleeved out tattoos. They don't buy cars or pay rent, they buy tattoos. Three of the guys working the register at the quickie mart up the street are totally sleeved out with tats. Two of them have their girlfriends drop them off at work, the other lives with his mother. As long as your spending that $, man.

13. tele salivas

In the green world , all parts of the carcass are used. Waste not, want not is how granny used to put it; just keep spending, man...

fig,black,womens,ffffff.u5.jpg

14. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

The mention of craft beer was a dead giveaway. Everyone knows PBR is their beer of choice. Heh, bourgeois hipsters.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's a trap!

[​IMG]

16. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

PBR hipster? that's funny

17. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

I thought being a hipster was mainstream, or is that part of the convoluted irony?

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bah, maybe he was a hipster before it was mainstream.

19. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

It takes a lot of green to go green.
    I think it's a supply and demand thing.
    It's hard to believe that non-additive and naturally grown foods are far more expensive than chemical loaded crap but it is reality.
    It's impossible for a poor man to be a hipster.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?
    Some people just pretend to be green, bringing their own grocery bags to fill with all kinds of non green crap and then loading them up into their waiting hubby's SUV sitting idling outside. Heck I recall an environment Minister in the news a while back who attended save the planet from pollution thing who had her driver waiting outside with the limo idling.
    I wonder if those same so called "green" people use pesticides and herbicides on their manicured lawns in suburbia. You bet your pseudo green bippy they do.
    It's all a subconscious act to overcome their own guilt in a lot of cases and just an act in public to make it look like they are hip.
    I had a discussion with a suburbia woman who had 6 incandescent bulbs in her dining room. I said at the time. "Look at all the hydro you're using. Those things should be illegal". She replied "I pay for my hydro". Yeah, that's why we have to pay a debt recovery charge on every hydro bill here. We have to pay for other people waste.
    I laugh every time I see someone using their bacteria laden reusable bags at the grocery stores. Bu they, they are hip right?
    I recycle my plastic bags by loading them up with kitty litter. At 5 cents a bag, it's the cheapest way to go.
    Yes please to the bags question, lots and lots. Right within earshot of the hipsters because It's one of the very few ways I go non-green. My yard is full of wildlife who prefer not to munch on herbicides and pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Hipsters be damned. Rabbits love dandelions and clover.
    OMG I am polluting the air with my wood stove. While forest fires rage out of control. pfffft.
    People are people. We are all a bit weird in our own weird ways. Live and let live I guess as long as your habits aren't costing me too much of my money or my health and even then, I'll just grin and bear it generally and shake my head and laugh when appropriate.
    If we were all the same it would be a very scary world.

20. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Good point. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.