1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hipshot with Parsons White?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by vikki, Feb 20, 2004.

1. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

I always fancied a g bender but they're not that easy to get in the uk. So i figured i could fit my hipshot bender on my Parsons White if i grind the Hipshot base plate away. Would it fit and would you put the g bender on the hip lever or the palm lever? (i think palm lever)What do you think?
    Vikki(uk) :twisted:

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Sevveral years ago I played one a local tech was assembling for a guy - It had the PW on the "B" and the Hipshot hip lever on the "G".

It seemed to make sense and worked pretty well - it's the same general idea as the double benders that use a lanyard, as the "G" bends require a forward neck "push".

The palm units simply get in the way IMO - if you are a hybrid picker or use palm muting they're crippling.

3. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

Thanks
    I've got to be honest i'd like the Parsons White G bender but here in the uk its almost impossible to get hold of one. Getting someone to fit one is another matter, i used a WD body ready cut for the b bender. At one time i did think of sending the body by post to Bill Bores to have one fitted but its a bit of a risk and i gig with the guitar a couple of nights a week so can't be without it. May bring it over to the us and have one fitted early next year.
    Thanks
    Vikki(uk) :)

4. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

my thougt exactly

I was thinking the same thing, I love the way the PW plays on the B, but I dont want to give up the G bender, I like the way the palm bender works for the G, I removed the extra bar for the bender and I activate it by pushing on the screw, this way it gets it out of the way for chicken pickin and I never saw the need for the extra bar they give you for the G bender. the way I see it this would work well.

5. SteelBender

SteelBender TDPRI Member

Adding a "G" bender to a PW - B or HipShot

Vikki,

I would like to suggest an option here.

I don't have an attatchment to any particular bender design or mechanism. I think the player is the one that need to make that decision. But that doesn't mean that I have not observed various physical characteristics and point them out. I also have some personal preferences. But neither of these two points in any way affects or limits how well a player can use single, double, triple, or a guitar with 6 benders. So it is up to you to decide.

Some facts.
    Any puller or bender mechanism on any instrument will place additional tension on the body / neck and flex the instrument. Floor or cable operated units as in what Phil Baugh played, one foot pedal per string, while giving him control over every string, avoided the flexing of the neck by pulling back as in a Parsons White "G" bender or pushing out as in a Glaser type second string puller. Floor mounted units would require no routing but it is clumsy to run back and forth on stage dragging the pedals around and they are expensive.

So I am going to limit this to a pushing out or pulling back second string puller/bender.

The Parsons designs are as solid and robust designs as have ever been invented and I consider it a design work in the bender arena like the Tele is for the electric guitar. It is a classic design and master piece that is not only a great design, but an artwork to view. It is a bit like looking at a jewelry shop where you can look at the diamond rings and watches on the black velvet but you cannot touch it.

When you pull the neck back on a Parsons "G", the neck will bow and decrease the relief of the strings. In some cases and not all necks because some are more rigid with the wood and truss rods, gauge of strings, etc. in the first position, you can have string buzzing problems. Larry Militech of Music One Workshop mentions this on his "Double Bender Workout". You need to get that tape or Dan Schafer's Advanced "Bender Style" Guitar.

It is a physical aspect of wood, metal, and changing tension on the guitar neck.

The Glaser design is not immune to neck flexing problems either. However, they do not translate into string buzzing because you are pushing out on the neck. The string relief increases a bit. But we have not seen these combinations of benders because it required sending the instrument to both bender installers, Glaser and Parsons, and it seems that since both designs are top notch, why go through the additional time and expense?

So the above are how the second puller affects the neck. Now I am going to suggest that you consider the following.

Get a HipShot modified to fit over the PW "B" string puller so that you will use the HipShot for your "G" bending. Then at some point in time as your schedule allows, it can be outfitted with a Glaser second "G" bender and you can remove the HipShot. You will have already learned the physical aspects of controlling and actuating the instrument to obtain the "G" bending licks. You will connect a belt lanyard to your left belt loop, insert the quick disconnect on the "G" actuator and push out like the HipShot.

Then move the HipShot over to another string, attach the rod and start bending a third string.

Well I hope I have been of some use here.

Do you have a HipShot that is modified?

Let me know and I can do it for you. Trade it in later.

Good luck.

SteelBender
    Bill Bores
    www.benderguitars.com

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.