Hipshot 2 Point Trem Replacement Question...Won't Fit!!

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm installing a Hipshot 2 point trem into (what I believe is) a Standard American Strat that I've painted for a customer. The pivot posts for the Hipshot are smaller than the stock Fender posts so I'm having to pull and install the inserts that came with the Hipshot. However, after getting a small portion of the stock Fender insert proud of the body I used my calipers to measure the OD of it and it is 10mm...the Hipshot inserts measure about 9.67 OD!! This confirms what I was certain I could simply see when comparing them visually. Hipshot sells this, I think, as a drop in replacement and they clearly aren't.

So I'm looking for anyone who has encountered this problem with a Hipshot bridge. There are really only a few possible solutions to this problem that are obvious to me. Has anyone else encountered this problem with a 2 Point Hipshot Strat trem?

garrett

Tele-Afflicted
The last Hipshot trem I bought a few years ago came with some adapter inserts for the fender stud wells. If you don't have those, try reaching out to Hipshot for a pair.

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
The last Hipshot trem I bought a few years ago came with some adapter inserts for the fender stud wells. If you don't have those, try reaching out to Hipshot for a pair.
I found a thread on The Gear Page that mentioned the adapter kit but didn't give any clues beyond that....thanks....I'll email Hipshot. I just ordered some threaded inserts off of Amazon that will do the trick but I'd rather use something made specifically for this situation.

garrett

Tele-Afflicted
I found a thread on The Gear Page that mentioned the adapter kit but didn't give any clues beyond that....thanks....I'll email Hipshot. I just ordered some threaded inserts off of Amazon that will do the trick but I'd rather use something made specifically for this situation.

I replaced an old contour version with the flat plate version (which doesn't seem to be available anymore) and I do remember that one being specifically mentioned as a drop-in for the Am Std Strat. I don't know if the contour model ever made that claim, but it seems like a huge miss to make a product that isn't compatible with the gazillion 2-post Strats out there.

Mine is on a partscaster that's only ever had Hipshot stud wells, so I was oblivious of the difference until I got the new bridge and found those adapter inserts.

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I replaced an old contour version with the flat plate version (which doesn't seem to be available anymore) and I do remember that one being specifically mentioned as a drop-in for the Am Std Strat. I don't know if the contour model ever made that claim, but it seems like a huge miss to make a product that isn't compatible with the gazillion 2-post Strats out there.

Mine is on a partscaster that's only ever had Hipshot stud wells, so I was oblivious of the difference until I got the new bridge and found those adapter inserts.
I phoned Hipshot and spoke to some guy (who had a television blaring in the background making it hard to hear him) and he readily said that they'll mail me the adapters for free. Now that's great of course but it begs the question 'Why don't they just include the [email protected]#!ing things with the trem kit'? I gotta figure that at least 90% of the guitars these are going in will be Fenders, no? Maybe I'm wrong about that....???