Hippie dream : I was gifted 50 unworn tie dyes, 400 or so cassettes…🫣 UPDATE

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
TD, I would describe “extremely good fortune” as something to do with a large dollar amount - and the lottery ! 🤣

But, we take what God and life gives us !
Sure, you could win the lottery, but who among the many could tool around in the "Lexxus Camry" listening to a fine collection of tapes while simultaneously wearing a stunning tie-dye from his own personal collection? (at least until the ugly face of commerce dwindles down the supply.)

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ton of really cool designs, top-notch quality, but they don’t look cool on me! 🤣

I think there’s an argument to be made that they don’t look cool on anyone…
But these do look very well made. Maybe like bluegrass or jam band, a little goes a long way.

Hell, I still wear 'em on certain occasions. These were made by a local artisan.

View attachment 979246 View attachment 979247
Now here’s an illustration of the principle: a little bit of tie-dye, not full on psychedelia and kinda liking it. Not for me, but maybe. I don’t even do ironic statements…

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
Hahaha, its funny that folks/our kids are going to be surprised by all the crap we have from back in the day. A number of years ago, my daughter in high school, it was hippy day. So she wore one of my Dead shirts. Apparently some of her cohort had never seen an actual tour shirt from the 70's/80's.

I have a friend that sold Rolling Stone rags in SF at various venues, has tales of hanging with Werner and Graham. He has the first 10 issues that are in very good shape. One day was hanging out and he pulled out the box. I absolutely loved carefully looking and reading these old rags...frick'n priceless.

Another friend that was in SF back in the day and had a suitcase full of the old handbills, posters and such. And a family member was helping her clean her place and threw all of them away in the trash without her knowing about it. She was heartbroken.

Last edited:

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I helped a friend move last week and I brought home about a hundred pounds of hand tools and a Roland Jazz Chorus 120!

My partner would kill me if I brought home any tie dyes.
Your partner would kill you twice if you rolled up the distortion knob on that JC 120 !

But to be fair, most people would!

But - Good score! Those amps do one thing but they do that one thing really really well.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Not allowed? Who sez?
My wife. When she says "are you going to wear that?" she means "don't".

I think it's cool, some of these cats can make amazing patterns. My son does a lot of thrifting for resale and when a shirt or pant doesn't sell on his online store he'll dye or bleach treat it. If tie dye helps keep my kid from asking for money I'm all in.
1651507425613.png

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They are all XL’s but they range from barely a Large to a big XXL.

Were T-shirt sizes ever really standardized ?

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a closet shelf full of 70's and 80's tee shirts when I moved from Illinois last year. Problem was, only 2 of 'em still fit me. So, I donated the rest to Goodwill, as if anybody really wanted 'em.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I acquired and re-sold approx 40 or so 1970’s concert tees 8 yrs ago.

They went for a TON of money.

Straight from a 70’s concert promoter.

Most worn.

Craziest one I had a hard time getting what I thought was what it should have gone for ?
The earliest Aerosmith shirt on the planet.

If you look at really early shots of them on stage , it’s THAT logo.

I got $175 and it should have been a $750 shirt but , old Aerosmith fans are crazy loyal but incredibly cheap. 🤣

(Memorex quote :”I had a closet shelf full of 70's and 80's tee shirts when I moved from Illinois last year. Problem was, only 2 of 'em still fit me. So, I donated the rest to Goodwill, as if anybody really wanted 'em.”)

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My nephew's daughter who started her freshman year in college last fall came by the house with other family members to pick through my late wife's clothing. An absolutely stunning girl, she picked all my wife's old clothes and especially my old shirts that my wife wore around the house with holes, worn collars, paint drips and fading. I asked her why she didn't take some of the newer and brand named stuff. She said nobody wears new stuff now, everybody trys to get their grandparents old stuff cause it looks really ancient and cool. GROAN. My wife had a couple suede jackets, suitably worn which she gleefully snapped up. I just smiled and made sure she stayed out of my closet.