Hippie dream : I was gifted 50 unworn tie dyes, 400 or so cassettes…🫣 UPDATE

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Recently helped 2 different people clean out houses they were leaving.

My buddy Warren had owned three or four record stores over the last 40 years and told me, if you want those three boxes of cassettes you are welcome to them.

He gathered them all up over the past 20 years - people would just leave them at his store because he wasn’t paying a nickel for used cassettes. But he threw out all the crap and just kept the freak stuff , so this is probably the most carefully curated/hipster collection of cassettes I’ve ever seen.

He has factory/commercially made cassettes from CAN, Love, Big Star, a ton of avant-garde jazz, much early 70s country and - a collection of totally anonymous mix tapes .

A LOT from the 80’s.

Many of those are like walking around a mall in 1986 .

The old Lexus Camry has a CD player AND cassette player so I’m having a blast driving to and from work just throwing tapes in.

The tie dyes came from a buddy who followed the Dead and managed a couple regional jam bands.

(I think “regional jam band” might be one of the most horrifying phrases I’ve ever heard 😱😵‍💫)

Anyway, most were done by this tie dye legend “Laughing Dragon”. 🤔🤷🏽‍♂️

And they’re ALL going on Etsy/EBay .

Ton of really cool designs, top-notch quality, but they don’t look cool on me! 🤣

0F7CEE52-93BD-4989-8CDD-AE6A65231F51.jpeg 20C7BD10-36DE-45C1-9599-0777471A2E7C.jpeg D699DDB0-F3C8-434B-9D7D-D23CF678D2C7.jpeg FCA8BAE6-45F6-422D-A98F-B34801D63633.jpeg DE2E3592-E754-4227-8118-9CBBBD115C7E.jpeg 930249B9-08FF-494E-B19F-B145D7BBE490.jpeg

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

My buddy Warren had owned three or four record stores over the last 40 years and told me, if you want those three boxes of cassettes you are welcome to them.

He gathered them all up over the past 20 years - people would just leave them at his store because he wasn’t paying a nickel for used cassettes. But he threw out all the crap and just kept the freak stuff , so this is probably the most carefully curated/hipster collection of cassettes I’ve ever seen.

He has factory/commercially made cassettes from CAN, Love, Big Star, a ton of avant-garde jazz, much early 70s country and - a collection of totally anonymous mix tapes . A LOT from the 80’s.

Many of those are like walking around a mall in 1986.

The old Lexus Camry has a CD player AND cassette player so I’m having a blast driving to and from work just throwing tapes in.

The tie dyes came from a buddy who followed the Dead and managed a couple regional jam bands.

(I think “regional jam band” might be one of the most horrifying phrases I’ve ever heard 😱😵‍💫)

Ton of really cool designs, top-notch quality, but they don’t look cool on me! 🤣

View attachment 979232 View attachment 979233 View attachment 979234 View attachment 979235 View attachment 979236 View attachment 979237
It's easy to see you're a man of not only great taste, but extremely good fortune!

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter

He has factory/commercially made cassettes from CAN, Love, Big Star, a ton of avant-garde jazz, much early 70s country and - a collection of totally anonymous mix tapes .

A LOT from the 80’s.

View attachment 979232 View attachment 979233 View attachment 979234 View attachment 979235 View attachment 979236 View attachment 979237
That black and white dotted one is COOL! So is the bottom right Mushroom one!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
During a brief period in the 70's I had a tye dyed canopy/sheet over an antique wooden bed gifted to me that was painted bright red. Those shirts remind me of the last image I had just before falling asleep at night. Righteous Man!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

A LOT from the 80’s.

I love those shirts, but I probably wouldn't have occasion to wear one, unless mowing the lawn. What I would do though, is pick out one absolute favorite and frame it behind glass and hang in my music room. I have many music and film related posters in mine, plus in my bedroom I framed a 12"X12" throw pillow cover my grandmother made from a remnant of a quilt my GREAT-GRANDMOTHER made. I included the hand-written note my grandmother included with it. Priceless family heirloom, IMHO. Save those for posterity. I like the one with the mushroom in the bottom right pic. Enjoy your good fortune! ;)

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That black and white dotted one is COOL! So is the bottom right Mushroom one!

There are 4 of those. And they are definitely the ones that struck me as the least “tie-dye” of all of them.

Wavy Gravy would approve.

View attachment 979238
Wavy is a righteous dude
Cool but I can imagine my wife’s reaction if I brought that stuff home. 🤬🤬🤬

OMG ! The guy with the tie-dyes that I helped move last weekend ? That was the one where my wife said “don’t bring home any of his crap! “

Then when I showed her all 50 of the shirts, she was like “oh those are really cool !”

26 years later, and I still don’t have a freaking clue about that woman…
I het you could sell all of those shirts right here, those are sweet. I'm amazed at the coolness of the mushroom 🍄 shirt.

They are probably six or seven various mushroom ones. I think the dude was really into the Allman Brothers Band.