Hip Licks for Guitar - Greg Fishman

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Leon Grizzard, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Anyone work in this book? For those not familiar with it, it is actually a saxophone book now worked up for guitar with tab as well as standard notation. 14 different sets of licks over single chords or short phrases like ii7-V7-I, with a lick in all 12 keys, so whatever 14 x 12 would be. Real jazz or bebop sounding, to me.

I’ve done the major seventh licks and dominant seventh licks, and the dominant seventh stuff is creeping into my playing some; very satisfying to feel that happening.

I’ve gone to the diminished licks and have questions about them. If no one is familiar with the book, then the broader question is: these are four bar phrases of diminished. What is the context in a jazz tune were you get four bars of diminished? In western swing I get one bar maybe: IV IV#dim. I.

2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I’m not familiar with the book, but have been learning sax for a few years now.

I’m wondering if the four bars of diminished is not more of an exercise than something intended to replicate its use in a tune.

Heck, look at the Real Book. There are a few tunes with one chord over 4 bars, but not many. Almost all have chords over one, or half, measure.

EDIT: I just took a look at the Fishman book (I have it, after all, for sax only). Take a look at the sections Modular Design and Diminution near the beginning of the book. The use of the four bar diminished (and other) chord exercises can perhaps be best applied in real life situations using the concepts discussed in that section. That’s my take, anyway.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

You mean, like, read the instructions??!!

I can see it like that. Some of the licks are phrases that you actually could plug-in in toto; I can also see it as a long static chord and you can break out whatever chunks that you want.

Lick number 135, G#dim was what raised a question in that it ends on G natural, a non-chord tone.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.