1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Highway One Telecaster -- Version 1 pickups

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Barrenone, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Barrenone

Barrenone TDPRI Member

I'm pretty sure the ones I have are either of these, although not sure which.

Any ideas on how to tell the difference?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. Barrenone

Barrenone TDPRI Member

I'm pretty sure the ones I have are either of these, although not sure which.

Any ideas on how to tell the difference?

Attached Files:

3. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

If it helps, here's a link to the diagram and link of the Highway 1 Tele, revised 2005. So as a 2006 it looks like yours would be ver. 1.5?

https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/011-1200_02A_SISD.pdf

Anyway, according to that, the pickups are the "Mexico Vintage Tele" neck and "Mexico 50s Tele" bridge.

It looks like the same ones that were used on the Classic 50s, if that's any help.

That makes sense to me, as I have a first version Highway 1 Strat (2002), which shared pickups with the Classic 70s Strat at the time.

Anyway, I found a couple photos of pickups that said they were from Classic 50s, but they looked different than yours.

Edit. If you want to look at various service diagrams and parts lists, they're here: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000820646-Telecaster-Service-Diagrams

Barrenone likes this.
  4. Barrenone

Barrenone TDPRI Member

This is all very useful. Thanks for your help, tbp.

Annoyingly their HWY1 v1 specs link to the wrong guitar, but I still found it. helpful resource.

After tons of online image searches, I'm pretty certain these pick-ups are Fender Original Vintage Tele pups.

So it was obviously purchased as a V1 HWY1, upgraded with brass compensated saddles and Fender OV pups, then sold to someone else who swapped the OV pups for a Gibson PAF and a SD Lil' '59, and changed the bridge to a six-saddle Mexican Standard bridge.

Bottom line is that I'm very happy to have gotten a rockin' 'bucker-packed, nitocellulose Tele with six-saddle intonation, complete with a spare bridge, spare steel saddles, spare brass saddles, and spare Fender OV pick-ups. Bargain.

I'm going to upgrade my 1990/91 Squier Silver Series Telecaster with these OV pups. :)

Thanks for all you help, everyone.

Nelg and tbp0701 like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Early Hwy. 1 Telecasters 9 ore 20050 had Alnico 111 p/ups and when I swapped mine out, I have a 2004 mode) I was horrified to see that the bridge had NO metal plate!! It was grounded to one of the 3 holding screws. I fixed that by replacing them with Tonerider Hot Classics which are also A3.
    I bought these on advice from Kelvin Ho in Singapore. He's he local guru on guitars and luthier.
    Also the bridge was the old standard three saddle Telecaster type but all steel. I replaced that with a Gotoh 6 way set up and later put it into an Ash bodied Telecaster for a real maestro friend ( now I wish I had it as that bridge was the only place the serial # was stamped Z.....
    Also it has the spaghetti Fender logo- the newer ones didn't I believe.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Correction- early Hwy. 1 Telecasters are pre- 2005.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say you have OV 52 pickups due to baseplate and cloth wires. Some special order/vendor Highway 1 had these IIRC.

The original pickups in the first Hwy 1 were the same as Classic 50s MIM with plastic bobbins and no baseplate on the bridge, IIRC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.