Highway One Telecaster (06 or 07 I think) truss rod issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by saucy_boss, May 23, 2020.

1. saucy_boss

saucy_boss NEW MEMBER!

So the neck relief on my Tele is too much around the 8th fret, when fretting at the 1st. I even purchased a notched straight edge which confirmed. I attempted to tighten the truss with the Fender issued allen key and it only turns counter-clockwise. When attempting the lessen the relief (clockwise) it turns a tiny bit and then locks up, and with added pressure the key slips out. I have tried loosening it up with PB Blast/WD-40, I even purchased a tool from StewMac for stripped nuts. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Researching this forum, I found a few users mentioning that the depth of the nut on the truss is not standard on the Hwy1s. Any truth to this? Anyone have suggestions for correcting this issue?

2. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Does it feel crusty when turning like its rusted up?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Just to confirm, you loosened the strings first correct? Here's the truss rod nut on my 2008 HW1

hw203.jpg

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

That isn't the truss rod nut.

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

That's the truss rod anchor.
    This is the Fender US nut.

Fender _US_Truss_Rod_Nut_comp.jpg

6. saucy_boss

saucy_boss NEW MEMBER!

Not at all, that's the weird part. Turns smooth counter-clockwise. Clockwise it just moves a TINY amount then won't budge.

7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

For some reason maybe the truss rod nut is bottomed out on the end of the truss rod. I would try to remove the truss rod nut and add a couple of washers, then install the nut and then try it clockwise to see if it will then tighten. I had to do that on one of my strats. Platefire

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The Hwy 1/Am Special neck has the walnut plug like the American Standards etc with the Biflex rod.
    You may have to remove the plug to back the nut completely out. It's usually done with heat to melt the glue Fender use. Replacement plugs are available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.