Highway One Tele Club- Let's see em!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by daviddoubleu, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Dbsblack

Dbsblack TDPRI Member

Haha looks like the consensus above me is brass saddles. How would you say this changes the sound? I know a lot of the twangers love brass, so is it a specialized kind if sound, or just a matter of quality?

2. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Re: brazen saddles (sorry). To my ears it warms the sound up. It's still bright but there's more body and notes sit together better. Still twang but less clang. The Fender brass saddles that I used are bigger than the stock Highway saddles so that might make a difference too.

3. longjuan

longjuan TDPRI Member

Hi "superape", thanks so much for the saddles tip, i think i'll for it. As for the Rio Grande i cant get those in Argentina...only fender's and Fralin...
    So the fralin blues special? does anyone can post an audio or video of a HW1 with fralin's??

What opinion does anyone takes on the "fender" original vintage pickups? should i go for them or Fralin??

Thanks everybody, your help is the best.

Saludos!

Juan Pablo

4. ironmike

ironmike Tele-Meister

My girls....

[​IMG]

5. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Juan: Fender Original Vintage pickups were installed yesterday by the speedy and helpful workshop at Chandler Guitars in Kew (thanks Andy). Plugging in to the Princeton I expected that it would take a while for my cloth ears to notice the difference but it was apparent immediately. Someone described the Highway pickups as having a compressed character and I more or less agree. A very good compressed sound but still not exactly what I imagined a Tele could do. The OV pickups though have an open, airy and more neutral character. Definition is better and there is a bell-like clarity - sounds that weren't there before are mysteriously popping up. Definitely no hiding place playing this and it's going to take a while to adjust. For me that's exactly what appeals about a Tele so the swap was more than worthwhile and I am over the moon with the guitar. Others may have different views.

6. Telefone

Telefone Tele-Holic

Hey HWY1 brothers; I have a 05 HWY1 love the guitar. only mod I have done so far was put on a set of Glendale compensating brass saddles they work great. Like most Tele's with 3 saddle bridges they are a B...h to intonate but the Glendales really helped out there. Nothing fancy about the finish mine is matte black and it and the hardware is aging nicely. I like the stock pup's but I have a hand wound set that were made for me and I am toying with the idea of swapping them in. Some one mentioned CS Nocasters I put a set of them in a Squire and they are AWESOME. All that said I just love The HWY1 it's really kind of a Jack of all trades kind of instrument, you can Rock it, or roll it back and cry the Blues.
    Play hard Boy's and Girls

7. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Just a little point about string gauge: some have remarked on the Highway's frets causing tuning problems ie it's easy to exert too much pressure on the high frets and sharpening notes. Having switched to a set of 10s this problem is officially a thing of the past with the added bonus of better tone. Hooray.

8. GregWV

GregWV Tele-Meister

Try 11's! They completely fixed my jumbo fret issues and improved my tone 100%!

9. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Greg - I'm definitely tempted but only after I let my puny fingers get used to the 10s. It's as close as I get to going to the gym.

10. caloyburger

caloyburger TDPRI Member

@ Longjuan: OV's are the best thing that happened to my HWY1. I totally agree with the added clarity and airiness over the stock pickups. The tonal spectrum is broader now. There is a spike though in the highend but that's what the tone controls are for.

11. kyuichisan

kyuichisan TDPRI Member

wow...beautiful...

12. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Kyuichisan: I respect your minimal style. Also I very much enjoyed the two months I spent in Malaysia.

13. Boognish

Boognish TDPRI Member

I got this highway one about a month ago from the classifieds on this site. Its my first Tele and the more I play it the more I love it. It's my main guitar now! I've played for 15 years and can't believe this is my first. I will be getting another one as soon as the wife let's me. :)

Attached Files:

14. kyuichisan

kyuichisan TDPRI Member

ooooooo....what are you doing at malaysia..???

15. superape

superape TDPRI Member

Kyuichisan:

Lucky enough to be travelling around with a friend. Went up to Tioman from Singapore before going up the west coast to Penang stopping at Malacca (don't read if you're Greek), Kuala Lumpar, the Cameron Highlands and Langkawi. Possibly not in that exact order. After a couple of weeks in Thailand we went to Koto Bahru, Koto Kinabalu (walking up Mount Kinabalu is one of the best things I've done in my life), Kuching and back to Singapore. Met lots of wonderful people and saw some amazing things.

Glad to hear that there's some twang in the country - where about are you and the Highway based?

16. kyuichisan

kyuichisan TDPRI Member

wow...so good traveling around...in Malaysia..i'm at Kuala Terennganu, Terengganu...

17. PATCH

PATCH TDPRI Member

2005?

How do I tell if I have an original or "upgrade" H1 Tele? Serial number is: Z5222712

Thanks

18. Liamf

Liamf Tele-Meister

Too many posts to read through so I'm just gonna ask. Have any of you put a humbucker in the neck pickup? I'm looking at getting a wide range humbucker and I have the 2005 HW1which is routed for a humbucker I just need to know if it's the right size? I'd love to see a picture if any of you have done it

19. longjuan

longjuan TDPRI Member

Finally change

Hi guys! @superape and everybody that helped me.

Finally i put a Lindy Fralin Stock pickups to my HW1, amazing tone...i could not beleive how the tone change. The original pickups sounded like "inside a box"...now i have an open tone, more rock-a-billy on the neck, strat type and the bridge side....guau!! it's simply amazing, actually 200% more twang and exelent for 80's Rock.

Also the brass saddles worked great, now i understand that because the have no guide for the string and i didnt drill so the strings have more sustain (sorry about my awfull english!!!)

Anyway, thanks a lot and keep on twanging! :arrow::arrow::p

Juan Pablo

20. longjuan

longjuan TDPRI Member

Humbucker??? MMM...why dont you go for a P90's Antiquity from SD? For experience i can tell you'll loose lots of "tele" tone putting a Humbucker. Also think about the middle possition will not be "hum-cancelling" at least you make some modifications.

Cheers!

Juan Pablo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.