1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Highway One Polishing Project

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by markw51, Sep 8, 2013.

1. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

I decided to put noiseless pickups in my Highway One and since it was going to be taken apart decided also to sand down and polish the matte finish.

This is small potatoes for many of you guys who build guitars but a first for me.

Here it is wet sanded down with 800 grit then 2000 grit. Sand until there are no more shiny spots. The finish should be completely dull. Use a sanding block for the flat surfaces. Don't sand too much or you could blow through the finish.

Attached Files:

2. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Then polish with Turtle Wax Premium Rubbing compound. It is inexpensive, readily available and does not contain Silicone. I used these polishing pads from Stewmac to apply the rubbing compound. Trying to do it by hand bout wore me out.

After that I used Guitar Scratch Remover to finish polishing by hand.

Attached Files:

3. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Here it is after final polish. Waiting now for the Bill Lawrence pickups to arrive for final assembly.

Now I consider it sort of a custom Tele with a gloss lacquer finish.

Also putting on Stewmac compensated saddles and a Fender logo neck plate to finish it off.

Attached Files:

4. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Looks great, I use the Turtle on old archtop bodies to get rid of years of grime, haze, smoke and general misuse. My 7 year old Highway 1 is starting to wear in nicely, that finish is real thin.

DW

5. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Every day, 1,000 guitar owners are taking their glossy guitars and knocking back the gloss, and another 1,000 are making their satin guitars glossy. Life is strange at times...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.