1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Highway one finish question?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Dongotto, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Dongotto

Dongotto Tele-Meister

Did all 2003 tele highway ones have nitro laquer finish. I'm looking at one and want to make sure it's not poly. It's online so I can't get hands on it.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Features
    • Alder body (Satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish)
    • Rosewood or maple modern C-shaped neck (Satin polyurethane finish)
    • 9.5" fretboard radius
    • 22 jumbo frets
    • '70s styling
    • Greasebucket tone circuit

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dongotto, the top coat on your '03 Highway is furniture lacquer if alder. The ash versions (Texas Tele) may have a better quality of lacquer. Both types will readily strip off if hit with Lacquer Thinner.

But here's the key thing you may not know that I absolutely need to mention:

ALL Highways of all eras have a rock hard poly undershell, underneath the top coat. I would not recommend anyone try to remove this rock hard stuff. If you want a "poly free" guitar the Highway is not that. If you're only worried about the top coat, unless your guitar has been resprayed, you topcoat is lacquer and not poly.

HWTele likes this.
  4. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Very thin acrylic lacquer on '03

5. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Nitro or Acrylic you're not gonna here a difference. Both finishes were thinly applied over poly. Up until mid 05ish the Highway 1's changed. Post 05 grease bucket tone circuit, giant frets, hot pups, 60's logo. IMO the pre 05's are more desirable along with the king of the highways the Texas model.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree, the better "project guitar" is the Texas Tele or the regular Highway with the Spaghetti Script. The newer Highways have a nicer finish, but this is totally offset by all the other things they got right or closer to right on the early alder body Highways.

I will say the bridge on the later Highway One Strats makes more sense, but that doesn't help the later Teles. One minor exception: At the very very end of production, some Highways (teles) got a PAF style neck pickup rout. That can be useful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.