1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Highway 1 tele trade?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PDman5150, Sep 11, 2013.

1. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

I have a 72 thinline reissue tele (natural) that I've been trying to sell for around 500. I have a trade offer for a crimson red highway 1 tele. Can someone provide more info on the highway 1's? This one has a 3 way switch only and has a hotrail in the bridge. Obviously modded. Didn't the hwy 1 have some different switching system? Also has a rosewood fretboard. I can't find any info on this particular model (it's around 8 years old). It's worn and the paints missing around some of the edges but that doesn't necessarily turn me off from teles. Frets are supposedly minimally worn.

Sound like a smart trade? The highway ones were the US made teles that were pretty stripped down right ?

2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

They have nitro bodies that will show wear and jumbo frets. Mine is a maple neck and I love it.

3. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Highway One's were essentially American Standards with a lacquer finish. The finish was just sprayed on. No sanding or polishing so its a matte, orange peel finish, which can be wet sanded down and polished which I did to mine. The switch is the typical Tele three-way switch. Switch, pots and jack are the same part numbers as the American Standard. They also had different pickups. Some people liked them but I couldn't stand mine so put in Bill Lawrence noiseless which are great. Can't say whether its a good trade but you get an American neck on the Highway One which is a big plus for me. Also check out fret size. Make sure you like the big frets on the Highway One. I'm sure there are some other differences I'm missing.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

An eight year old Hwy 1 puts it at about 2005/2006 or so. There were some changes with Hwy1's through the years. I don't think I'd trade even for a guitar that you feel is worth $500.

I definitely wouldn't trade without trying it first.
    Good luck!

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Highway 1 has a vintage style 3-saddle bridge with chrome plated brass saddles, as opposed to the 6 saddle American Standard. The Highway 1 has jumbo frets way bigger than the medium jumbos on the Am std. or the frets on the MIM '72

6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I have a hiway 1 stat and love it. The neck on mine is every so slightly bigger than my Am Std. I think most if the major changes, jumbo frets and a few others that most consider downgrades, came about in the 2006 models. Mine is the best player I have and my Am Std is on CL right now.

It's an American Strat with. Nitro finish and no case basically. I also love the alnico 3 pickups. Mines a 2006 and someone else dressed down the shredder, railroad track frets.

7. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Seems like a fair trade to me. Just make sure that you like it better than your thinline. I had a highway tele and didnt like the feel of the neck. I sold it and have a USA standard for my main. I recently bought a thinline to sell and it feels really good to me. So its all preference.

8. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

They are really good in my opinion. They have the Greasebucket Tone Circuit, but nobody really knows what that is except that they sound great. These can be on the heavy side. Mine was pretty heavy but it actually balanced nice. I've had both of the guitars you mentioned and I greatly prefered the HWY 1!

9. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

Don't get me wrong.. I love the feel of the Thinline as far as the neck goes. I don't particularly like the small vintage frets (my 3 other Tele's have medium jumbo) but what I really dislike is the sound with any kind of overdrive or gain. I can get a decent jazz sound running through my Tech 21 Blonde Deluxe but it just seems really flat and lifeless as a rock guitar despite having "humbuckers". Unplugged it's really resonate and I made the mistake of trading another guitar (which I now regret) for it without plugging it in.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My Brother-in-law had an American Special similar to the Highway 1 with the grease bucket tone circuit. He always lamented the loss of it after trading it away, he finally got a MIM standard and put Texas Specials in it, but still didn't quite like it.

I looked up the grease bucket circuit, and bought the parts at radio shack and we fixed him up in just a few minutes. He's a happy camper now, loves his guitar again. Basically what it does is allow you to roll off some highs while not making the guitar sound muddy by adding bass. Hard to describe, but I may do one of mine the same way just for flavor. It's not a huge thing, but it is noticeable. I can only say if you like the effect, you can put the tone control about anywhere and it will suit you. If you don't like the effect, you can put the tone control about anywhere, and it won't suit you!:D

This is how it works.

Attached Files:

11. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

Big fan of Hwy 1

I have one Hwy 1 and a second partscaster with a hwy 1 neck.....

Great stuff...

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Highways for the most part go for about $450-$550, this one with the mods is probably worth on the low end. Although you say you are "trying to sell for around $500" the thinline. If you haven't been getting any offers close to that price you might be a bit high.

They are probably about equal value, I like the HWY's a lot. I would seriously consider that trade.

13. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Another big fan of my 2010 Hwy1

14. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that Toto's dad. One day when I have a tele apart I may give it a try.

I'm surprised Radio Shack still has any components, thought they were only over priced electronics and cell phones now. No electronics stores in my area and ordering on the net takes time.

15. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

The HWY-1's changed from around '06, they went to jumbo frets, hotter pickups, the grease bucket circuit and a 70's headstock decal. The '05 and earlier had med/jumbo, milder PUP's and a spaghetti head logo. Both had grooved steel barrels with ashtray's, but the rest was AmStd hardware, med-C neck profile and alder bodies with matte nitro finish. There was also a Texas model that had 2-color SB finish, brass barrels and better PUP's.
    I own the early and later version HWY-1's, really nice guitars that with a couple upgrades become outstanding guitars. Mine now have brass barrels and upgraded pickups.

16. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I have an 09 HWY1 that I treasure. The only changes I have done to it are brass saddles and a BWB pickguard. It now looks and sounds amazing!

17. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

This one definitely is an 05 as it has the spaghetti logo! Thanks for the info!

18. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

Highway I's are great guitars. My buddy has one I play now and then. I have a CS Tele and I still get excited playing that Highway I.

19. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have one that since I've put some Keystones in it, I absolutely cannot put it down. love the neck on it too. The body is just so resonant. Great playing, killer sounding Tele!
    It's pretty much my favorite electric I own these days.

20. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

Well we never could iron out a time to trade guitars and I can't get a buyer for the thinline for even $475 so I gave in and ordered two Harmonic Design Z-90's, a Terrapin custom black pick guard and some 500k pots. If I have to keep it, I'm going to make it worth keeping. Can't wait to hear the pickups. Takes about 3 weeks for them to ship... I hate waiting !!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.