1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Higher voltage charge pump for more headroom on an EQ pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Obsessed, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

What the heck does that really mean? I've been looking at the VFE Rocket parametric EQ pedal, which boasts an "internal charge pump for higher headroom". I know what a higher headroom amp means, so I assume this is somehow related, but I don't have a clue. The VFE website does not explain it and the pedal is out of production. Can anyone shed a glimmer of light on the subject?
    Thanks in advance.

2. bbob

bbob NEW MEMBER!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

Sorry, wish I could be more help on this.

Bob

Obsessed likes this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

WIKI; "Another way to explain the operation of a charge pump is to consider it as the combination of a DC to AC converter (the switches) followed by a voltage multiplier."

Just taking a wild and totally uneducated guess I'm thinking it's purpose is to supply more than the typical 9v AC internally as opposed to running the pedal off a higher external AC voltage like 18v pedals. I'll let the engineers add their likely more correct thinking.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Obsessed likes this.
  4. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Yeah it ups the voltage, I guess it needs more current than usual as a result. For an eq it probably means it handles gain pedals going into it better and puts out sharper transients.

soulman969 and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Ah, now that makes sense. I'm always using EQ pedals before gain pedals, but I know that there are advantages for placing them after and this is what the headroom is probably for. Thank you very much.

6. Obsessed

It seems that is what is implied by the product description. Other Parametric EQ pedals allow higher D.C. Inputs and my guess is for the same reason. Thanks soulman969.

soulman969 likes this.
  7. VonRutter

VonRutter NEW MEMBER!

The charge pump in the Rocket EQ basically doubled the internal voltage. This means plugging in 9V is doubled into 18V, or 15V is doubled into 30V. Since the EQ is mean to be squeaky clean, the extra voltage insures that louder signals stay clean. In fact, with a 15V power supply (converted up to 30V), you can use +4dB line level signals with the pedal.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Wow, thanks VonRutter (I guess you got my email;)). Welcome to TDPRI. You have built such great pedals that always have unique, well thought out and refreshing twists to them, but the Pinball and Standout are ccompletely unique additions to the pedal community. Thanks again for clearing up the Charge pump question.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.