High Powered Tweed Twin Amp - anyone played through or owned one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CV Jee Beez, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I've been interested lately and wanted to know if they're just super loud or if they're can be used for smaller gigs and/or a permissive home environment.

I''ve also been considering a Mojotone kit.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Pretty sure you can add a master volume or attenuator of some sort to the amp. I play an ac30 and that's plenty loud with the preamp at noon and volume around 11. Just play with your guitars controls and you'll be set.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've played through a Victoria Tweed Twin (used so no circuit details) and it was a gorgeous clean sound at guitar shop friendly volume.
    I've never met a Tweed that didn't sound good turned down.
    I'm assuming of course that you're not looking for low volume distortion.
    I guess many think of tweed as distortion, but they are some of the greatest cleans ever.

A little delay or reverb if you prefer is nice but not required

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Silverface Twin Reverb ( don't know the exact year 60s) for 17 years. REALLY loud if you want it and clean as a whistle at all volumes. You could also create your own distortion by plugging in the Vibrato channel at a low volume, but running the master volume, the other channel on high. Gives you the sound on Clapton's " Motherless Children" - no need to buy a pedal. Good gigging amplifier as it's clear at any volume. BTW you could hear it blocks away according to my girlfriend at the time.

CV Jee Beez and Milspec like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Depending on era, a tweed Twin can be anything from 25 watts to 80 watts so a little more detail would help with that question. I assume that you are referring to the 80w version as the "high power".

All that said, is it "super loud"? Nope, twins are what you want them to be, they can be crazy loud or they can be comfortable volumes. I run an ultralinear SF Twin Reverb (135w) in my home on most days with the volume at 2 on the dial. The great thing about a Twin is that they are clean machines so they will sound just as good at 2 as they do at 10. They give you exactly what you ask of them. You can also pull 2 power tubes to half the power if desired making that tweed high power of yours a 40w amp if desired and it will still sound great.

I actually prefer a low powered Twin (40w), but still remain happy with SF Twin.

6. Mahogany

Mahogany TDPRI Member

Kendrick 4212. Seriously regret trading that amp.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

An amp tech can mod to adapt the volume levels and breakup point right for you.

Alternatively a high quality attenuator will make you happy man.

8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

+1, I love the Tweed clean tones so much! I have a Tweed Super (2x10, 35 watts) with a ppimv installed. It works perfect to turn down the volume for rehearsal or small club gigs and running the amp at the breakup point between clean and crunch.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a '58 5f8-a.

If you want as much dirt as Keith Richards or Joe Bonamassa, without any pedals, it can be brutally loud. Deafening, in fact.

However, it also sounds incredible at lower volumes. It is my favorite practice amp for home use and my favorite gigging amp. It is the best sounding amp I've ever had the pleasure to play through.

I use pedals and have zero shame about it. But, this means I can play any venue with my Twin. I could play coffee shop gigs with it and it would still sound sweet. Or, I could play arenas and beg for a little mic'ing... LOL

By the time, the amp hits 1 on the volume knob, it sounds sweet and warm and is not stupid loud. Before I recently moved, I practiced in a large-ish room, with cinder block walls and a concrete floor. I would play with the amp on 3, and my guitar's volume at about half mast. My wife would come down and we would have a conversation, she would sit and read, etc, without her giving my the stink-eye over volume. My wife is quick to give the stink-eye over guitar volume, by the way.

I used it regularly in venues of 75-300 people, with no complaints about volume. Not from my bandmates, the audience, etc. Although, I did get a couple complaints about the beaminess of the amp at times... One venue we played at all the time, the stage was just below seated face level and if someone sat straight out in front of me, they would get blasted with a bit fo highs... Not as bad as a Deluxe Reverb or black/silverface combo can be. But, I have an older playing partner who does acoustic stuff with me... She complained twice. First, I started turning the amp more towards my bandmates, which they actually liked, then I also added a plexi shield and brought up the volume a hair. No more complaining.

I played an outdoor amphitheater last year. Sound guy was right out in front of the stage doing something with the cables, monitors, whatever. Literally lined up right in front of my Twin. He's telling me, 'oh, you could turn down and I wouldn't complain'. So, I do... I'm now quieter than when I play my normal home bar. My amp still sounds great, but I know better and just chuckle to myself. Soundguy gets back to his board, about a hundred yards back. he asks me to do my thing, then asks me to turn down more. I reluctantly do... Then, he does bass and harmonica levels. When we all start playing, the other guys look at me because they can't hear me. The soundguy sheepishly asks me to turn back up.... To where I was when i started. He had me out in the FOH mix and a bit in the monitors on stage and I was running about 5. It was a great mix, a great sound and the amp was delicious all night long.

My point being, right in front of those two 12" speakers can be beamy. The cabinet is kinda tight for those two speakers. The sound fills a space, it is incredibly authoritative and thumpy. But, still, you gotta be slightly careful with placement and direction.

Sorry to be so wordy. I do love my HPTT and it will probably be a piece of gear they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.

10. Paulg

Paulg TDPRI Member

rjtwangs, kookaburra and CV Jee Beez like this.
  11. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Good stuff. Thanks!

Axis29 likes this.
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

By the way, I took my Twin out this past weekend to play. A friend invited me to join his band for part of his gig at a little dive bar a little bit west of here, in La Habra. When I say dive bar, I mean it was a real dive.

We played out on the patio to about fifty or sixty folks. The space was maybe 20 feet wide and a good 75 feet long, concrete floor and cinderblock walls. The roof was a couple of canopies and some tarps strung between the buildings.

At the end of the day, I looked at my settings... My volume was on 3. I ran my Topanga in the front end, and used my Tim from time to time for touch more dirt. I got a bunch of compliments on the amp from the other musicians and the audience. 3 was as sweet as I can ever imagine an amp sounding. It was perfect in the mix. My buddy was playing an Ampeg J-20 (the 6g3 copy) that he's tweaked a bit to be exactly like the 6g3 circuit and he also added el34s for a little more headroom. There were also a harmonica, keyboards and at times, sax. I didn't overpower anyone, and my tone was perfect (to me).

I. Love. This. Amp.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

14. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

I dont have an original HPTT nor have I been fortunate enough to have played through one. I do, however, own a very well made clone which I trust is very faithful to the original (the builder had a Twin which is was able to benchmark it against). I echo the comments from @Axis29 that the tweed twin is not too loud to be played at home and that it sounds glorious at low volumes. I mostly play with the volume between 2 -3 and its a wonderful tone. Occasionally I get to wind it up to 5 and its just the best tone I've had to experience in person.

Definitely a desert island amp

Axis29 likes this.
  15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Great sounding amps, delicious tone from the get go. Will you get natural distortion at a usable volume? Nope. Guess what, nowadays it's hard to push a 12 watt amp into distortion at most venues.

I don't like most Master Volumes or half power switches, they just suck the life out of an amp. Likewise attenuators.

I like an amp with a big fat clean sound, then use pedals. My pedalboard usually has 3 ODs on it, two "transparent" types, one set for light crunch, one set for some drive and finally a Tubescreamer type. Odd to say it, but this setup sounds way more natural to me than strangling an amp.

RedRock likes this.
  16. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

If you are considering a kit, it might be worth noting that the "high power Twin" is a 5F6-A Bassman with twice the output power, and of course different speaker configuration.
    If you compare the schematics you will find they are virtually identical.

RedRock likes this.
  17. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Out of interest what are the two ‘transparent’ overdrives you like to use?

I use a Kingsley Page in a similar manner with mine and soon I’ll add a Kingsley Harlot as the 2nd overdrive pedal. I use a Klone (Mythical Overdrive) instead of the for a little lead boost.

18. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

anthrotony likes this.
  20. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.