high-gain? high-output?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by newmachine, Jul 4, 2014.

1. newmachine

newmachine Tele-Meister

I'm confused of these terms, educate me please.
    What's a "high gain pickup" and what's a "high output pickup"?

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

just a buncha typical guitar marketing hype nonsense.

"tone" is NOT about volume - it's about the inherent, actual TONE that a transducer can deliver, on its own, by its design.

increasing the output of a passive pickup in a passive manner means increasing its mid-range, and that will alter tone a little, or typically by a huge amount.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

C'mon Rob. So it's not "just a buncha typical guitar marketing hype nonsense" when you re-phrase it? LOL!

Unfortunately, whenever there is a need for a written description of something we can't hear at the moment, there will be people making their best effort to describe it. A little credit is due to those who make the effort to describe and clarify things for our benefit. In most instances, people are doing the best they can. :D

4. Rob DiStefano

describing "tone" is like describing "color".

this guitar industry is very tactile oriented to the senses, and abounds with descriptives meant to sell and not inform. pickup dcr is another example of pandering to the public. ignorance is bliss, to some. to each their own.

5. newmachine

newmachine Tele-Meister

Yes, I have read the Seymour Duncan pages. Still I have confusion about 'gain' and 'output' in pickups. It's not like the same term applied on amps. LOL

Are you saying that those are just the same term to describe the relative output volume of pickups? Some kind of 'how hard it will hit the amp's input'?

And of course I fully understand about "tone" is NOT about volume :D

6. Rob DiStefano

with regards to passive pickups, "output" and "high gain" are vernacular descriptions of volume. transducers that produce more "output" will drive pedals and amps much "harder", increasing the likelihood of square signal sine waves = distortion.

as in mr. clueless string_snapper saying that "my new 18k death-skull-banger-killer tele bridge pickup is much louder than my cavalier fat lion".

yah, uh huh. :D

7. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Yes, a high gain or high output pickup will hit the front end of your amp harder. In addition to the pickup being louder at a given amp volume setting, it will typically have more midrange and will make the amp have more "crunch".

I have teles with pickups ranging from Fender Nocasters and '62 vintage (low output vintage type pickups) to hotrods with a Duncan Quarter Pounder and a Duncan Hot Tele. I have an outdoor "garage band" type rockin' gig tonight, and play the hotrod teles for that. (And they still sound like teles, but big phat ones suited for power chord and rock solo stuff.)

We can certainly sniff corks all we want, but if a pickup/pedal/amp combo produces the tone you like, you're good.

George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.