High gain distortion?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Midgetje94, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I have a pretty good pedalboard. But looking for a medium-high gain distortion. First off I have a notoriously clean amp which I love. So I get stacking pedals. I don’t need super heavy. Kinda pop punk-80s glam rock. Really into a older German band “Kissin Dynamite” sound.

I am eyeballing the Nu-X fireman (dual stage. So I can set a lower distortion and a higher for 2 options then stack if needed) but was wondering if y’all had any suggestions?

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Stacking pedals gives you way more flexibility.

That being said, I’m not a huge fan of the distortion + by itself, but it’s a great stacking pedal precisely because it’s a little bit bland.

When you’re stacking, the volume of the last engaged pedal is functionally the master volume of the entire chain.

Keep on Truckin and Midgetje94 like this.
  3. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

That’s my board as of now. Hoping to swap both of the MXR drives out for a better unit. Fender has a dual pugilist now. Thought Of that. Give me a medium and a high drive too.
    A1777412-6CA9-4D8B-B7D9-860EC5371351.jpeg

Dik Ellis and Blackmore Fan like this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I checked out some Kissin Dynamite. Very ‘80s hair metal IMO. I’d try a good ol’ Rat.

5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

That's what I use a Rat for.

6. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

Oh yea. I love them. Very good live shows. And I’ve thought about a Rat. But I have a crate vintage club 50 amp. I love it. But the drive channel on the amp sucks. Lol. Guess get a Rat and see where I stand with it lol. Hell most amp dirty channel would be fine. Especially with my JHS @+. (Has a boost (essentially a ts9) and then a drive on its self) but it with the Rat may be a good set

Keep on Truckin and erratick like this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

About six months ago I spent the most I ever have on a pedal, a Revv G3. They run around $225 but you can get them used for under $200. Easily the best distortion pedal I've ever owned. Articulate and lots of cool harmonic overtones. Highly recommend.

I've also got a Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin (Rat 2 clone), but IMO it's a very distinctive and different distortion and you'll either love it or hate it. It cuts through the mix like a buzzsaw.

[​IMG]

Thorne and northernguitar like this.
  8. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

My favorite (and for me most flexible) distortion is an EAE Longsword. It's effectively a Rat-ish sound, but with incredible EQ and clipping options, plus a switchable mid-focused boost to punch through as needed. Very wide gain range - can stay cleaner and goose other pedals or the front of an amp, or can be nasty on it's own. I really like it with lower output single coils as well, as there's a neat cleaning up that happens as note rings out.

There's actually a screaming deal on Reverb right now, but this is going to sell in the next few minutes is my guess. They're not easy to get a hold of, they show up somewhat regularly but are snatched quickly.

9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

A Rat is a great choice, but to me it veers into fuzz territory just a bit too much.

There are a million options for mid gain rock and metal pedals. My favorite is the Mojo Hand Rook. Or the Mojo Hand Odessa two-in-one if you want to stack.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A Rat is all you need.

Keep on Truckin and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

Just a point of reference. I love the 80’s inspiration. The image, the use of old school gang vocals. Come to think of it. Most of what I listen to be it rock or metal. Could be described as “kids playing their dad’s music” them, bands like Goodbye June, Rival Sons, One Bad Son, Greta Van Fleet. Someone of a 70’s-80’s revival if you will. Lol.

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I love Rival Sons. Scott Holiday is a fuzz junkie. Fuzz is a completely different rabbit hole, and it is deeeeep. ;)

GreatDaneRock, Zepfan and Midgetje94 like this.
  13. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I like the stacking. I can’t believe I didn’t think of the Rat lol. May get that and a decent 2nd distortion to have options.

14. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

Mr. Holiday and the great Keith Richards are two of my biggest inspirations

D_Malone likes this.
  15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Rat.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My Keeley-modded DS-1 can do lots of '80's fun (and a lot else besides). There are some on Reverb for less than $100. I'm not into stacking dirt pedals, so I can't comment on how it'd work there.

Thorne likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Twinote Pi Fuzz (aka Nux Hi Gain Distortion) is a copy of the Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra. I like it better than the Rat for changing the character of my SFPR.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Back in the 80's I had a DOD American Metal distortion pedal that was right in the middle of the compressed tube screamer and RAT pedal. I liked it very much and you can pick up a used one for about $75 or find a new clone.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  19. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

See I actually used to have a Donner black mouse or dark mouse. I forget. But was a rat clone. Actually a very well done pedal. Even had the inverted filter. Gave it to a local kid getting into guitar

20. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.