1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

High End Picks vs. standard picks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cali Dude, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I really only buy Jazz III XL (Ultex, nylon), Jazz III (primetone, nylon), the Stringjoy Jazz delrin pick which is the perfect shape but a pain to buy, and whatever 351-type in M-H. None are really high end but the primetones are the spendiest of them. Those are pretty damn close to Ultex, possibly a hair less clicky and more ringy. Finished slightly better too, but meh.

telestratosonic and Cali Dude like this.
  2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll be checking them out. I strive for clarity and that 'ringy' sound.

Cali Dude and Drew617 like this.
  3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Here are the main picks I use for various applications. each has their own sound/voice. B9475494-1E10-4E86-B9F2-3115B6559298.jpeg I don’t really use anything bigger than a 3.5mm

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I just use Fender Heavy. They work for me, and when buddies come over to jam and inevitably end up taking some of them home, it doesn't hurt as bad.

5. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

My dude at Plumstone can do those in 3mm with bevels. I give you the BT(bread tag)5000
    [​IMG]

6. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

My picks are forged in the bowels of the earth and dusted with ground up cherub toenail clippings.

Tone tone tone.

I've got a February sale going on so pm me.

7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to collect picks when I couldn't afford more expensive gear. For electric playing, I grab what feels best. For the last year I've been mostly playing acoustic and mandolin, and if I have to use the same pick for both, the Dunlop Hetfield White Fang 1.0 mm is my current go-to. It's almost as good on a mandolin as my V-Pick Tradition Lite, which is my all time favorite mando pick. Yeah, I'm a beginner, so I don't know better than to use a Metallica signature pick on a mandolin.

I also really love the V-Pick Snake for playing my 8-string; I would love to try one of those super fat picks that @Bluego1 posted (what pick is that?!?). I would also like to try a Hufschmidt pick. The thick picks are really good on the huge range of string sizes that span the width of my 8-string fretboard.

All that said, if I had to carry one pick to play everything from the mando to the 8-string it would be a Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL, .73mm. It sounds good on the acoustic, has just enough point to get by on the mando, and it is smooth across the strings for electrics of all ranges. A very close runner up that sometimes edges out the Primetone is the V-Pick Tradition Lite with their ghost rim. It's a good do-everything pick.

I could really go on for a long time about different picks I like for different playing, or which ones become my favorite for a few months. I love picks. As I read these posts I see other picks that I have and love, but forgot to mention above.

I don't think a $40 pick makes me play any better than a $4 pack of six picks, but there are some that work better for my lack of proper technique than others and I tend to gravitate towards those. Funny thing is, my preference seems to constantly change. And I'm okay with that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  8. gregulator450

I one million percent agree. The Primetone Jazz 3 xl in .73mm is my jam 98.485% of the time.

Unison Bend and Cali Dude like this.
  9. gregulator450

I love these picks. They are the most comfortable thumb pick I have found, right alongside a national size large to fit my sausage thumbs. I like that these stay put but don't squeeze too hard. Awesome for banjo playing.

Cali Dude and blowtorch like this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I just recently tried their thinner gray ones. Even better ! (for me)
    [​IMG]

telestratosonic and DavidP like this.
  11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

As picky (no pun intended) as I can be about a lot of guitar related things, picks are usually almost an afterthought. If I’m buying picks it’ll usually be Fender 351s or something similar. I used heavys forever, but with age I’ve started going with mediums every now and then.

Attached Files:

12. gregulator450

I had no idea these exist! Now I'm gonna have to place a damned order. Thanks, @blowtorch for helping me spend my money :p;)

I don't use thumb picks much on guitar; more just on the banjo. I like to really choke up on a flatpick and the thumb picks stick out further than is comfortable for me, but they work awesome on banjo.

I actually cut the thumb wraps off a couple of those Fred Kelly bumblebees and glued them to some tortex jazz 3's in the position that I wanted and they worked pretty well. I gave some to some friends and they love em too. Sorry. Getting longwinded about picks again.

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Those are cool looking thumbtacks. I always have trouble trying to flat pick while using a finger pick for certain lines. Gonna have to try those out.

Cali Dude and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Im just a Jazz III picker. Like the ones with the no slip grips too.

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

IMG_20180123_171611085.jpg

These steel Dunlops don't wear much. I always assumed they'd break a lot of strings but they really don't.
    I generally use 1.0-1.5 Tortex, for flat picking and strumming.
    I've never tried an expensive pick. Not sure I've ever seen one.

16. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I understand the hand made pitch from RedBear but I can't justify the price with so many competitors out there

Cali Dude likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, they really are perfect for
    being able to switch back and forth between flatpicking and fingerstyle.
    Very comfy, natural fit with 'pick position' right where you want it.

I get them from Elderly Instruments, like a 4-pack 2 or 3 times a year.

* Funny, I pick up an electric or acoustic, every day at home, for a few hours - just to fool around, plink, and I only seem to use these here.
    Too lazy to hold a pick!

18. Fredhead59

Fredhead59 TDPRI Member

V picks for me and nothing else.

19. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You made me curious and I had to check - primeones ARE ultex, just darker. Caveat emptor, any difference I hear might come down to shape, mass, placebo... :D

20. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've been using Dunlop Primetones lately but I forgot to grab them for our last jam session. No problem, I had a bunch of Dunlop Tortex and Ultex picks in my guitar case. The grip on the Primetones is a nice feature, but the Tortex (green) and Ultex picks were absolutely fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.