High End Home Audio Golden Era (Minor Rant)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Aug 11, 2020.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Here's a clue

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1970?amount=7000

2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Rolling Stone used to have digital archives and I remember going thru an issue from the 70's to read an interview. I was amazed at all the ads for audio equipment. There were pages of ads for medium and high end gear. I had forgotten how big that industry was and how pervasive component stereo systems were.

And just like that, the whole business was absorbed into the world of computers. You rarely go into someone's home and see stereo equipment front and center, anymore. It's more than likely a tiny Alexa or something like that. Or just some earbuds.

It's a different world. Not better or worse, just different with different trade offs. I do know I wouldn't trade my laptop / DAW for a stereo system.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I would say those dates are the "golden era" of high fidelity stereo marketing. It would seem that the real golden era of high fidelity was the late 50s, 60s and early 70s when tube amps ruled the roost.
    In the late 60s through through the 80s it was a right of passage for young men to acquire a component stereo system.
    My first proper system was a Marantz Receiver, Wharfdale speakers and Dual Turntable.
    I found my dream rig in around 1976. I went to a high end stereo shop in Atlanta. I was looking for a MacIntosh. The young salesman asked me if I was a "doctor". He added all doctors wanted a MacIntosh but they were all hype. He directed me to a separate power and pre-amp system. Then he demonstrated the speakers, a set of Dahlquist. Dahlquist was one of the first "phased arrayed" speaker systems. Next a turntable with no tone arm. You had to buy that separate. When all was said and done I was broke. LOL. An incredible sound. I was so proud. Then reality and marriage set in.
    I had other smaller systems since then but lost interest around the mid 90s.
    Component systems (cheap to moderately priced) have been disappearing from the mainstream. I wonder how much longer higher end systems can survive.

4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

find a market and work it until it bleeds.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

In the 70s many manufacturers of hifi equipment were small companies with low volume output and sometimes dodgy QC and R&D.

The world has moved on. Customer demands have become more important and so has the selling of hifi to people who aren't electronics wizards in their own right. Plug and play is the new game.

There's an awful lot of snakeoil out there, especially where cabling is concerned. Spending an extra £10000 pounds on mains, speaker and interconnect cabling to get 5% 'better' fidelity isn't a priority at my age, and neither is spending silly money on ultra high end equipment.

Suffice to say that my current system is streets ahead of anything I could afford in the 70s, and probably cost a lot less in real terms.

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Not to me, he doesn't. But very few cases for expensive "high end" equipment of any kind rings true with me nowadays, for many reasons. I recognize how unpopular my opinion is on this, particularly on a gear oriented musician site. So I won't waste cyberspace on explaining further. This thread is clearly not for me, anyway. And that's ok. We all walk to the beat of our own drums. :cool:

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the day, we spent more on our home sound system than we did for our automobile...

And the sound system in the car was worth more than the car itself ...

Jus sayin ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.