High End Guitar Picks

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Are high end guitar picks really worth it? Daddario $23.99, Blue Chip $35, Martin Luxe $19.99 Is this the new Crypto for guitar? I thought Dunlop Jazz III were a little over priced! Wow, I must be out of the loop. I love my Jazz IIIs but that is about the most i would pay. Its not just the price though, do they actually make you play better? I doubt it, but there must be a market. Am I missing something? What say you.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Given my high incidence of losing picks, this would be a costly practice for me...
FWIW, what I now use (and lose) the most are ones from gift/credit cards made on a Pick Punch -- the other end of the price range!
Me too - at my level, it's not the pick that'll improve things.
Bro-in-law's gift of pick punch has been great for gift cards, expired credit cards - lifetime supply, AFAIK :cool:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not to me,

My bluegrass buddies own the Blue Chips and similar high end picks, and they are so thick for me, I might as well use my elbow!

I get speed, great grip, and a full tone, with plenty of volume on acoustics, playing lowly Fender Mediums* ( regular or blue tortoiseshell for me!) - they last about 3 gigs, then trash ( point gets too rounded)

Electrics get similarly gauged. 73 mm yellow Tortex.

* I tried ( still own) the Dunlop Primetone picks ( which look like Fender Medium tortoiseshell, but actually NOT transparent), as they last/ don't loose shape.
But the warmth and 'give/flex' I get from Fender Mediums, just isn't there!

Last edited:

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I don't get it I've used the plastic clip on a loaf of bread for a pick...........Then I got it:)

thumbnail copy.jpg

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
I was skeptical of blue chip picks for years, especially after I discovered ultex picks. Ultex have a ring to their tone that I really like.

a few months back I said, you know what? Why not! And bought a blue chip td-60 for flatpicking with my Martin d-18.

dear reader, it is not hype with that pick. It sticks to my thumb better than ultex. It rings when you drop it on the table like tortoise shell. It glides over the strings quietly but still grips and gets volume/articulation. It is noticeably better.

for acoustic guitar (and bluegrass flatpicking specifically) where the pick has a significant impact on tone, I can recommend the blue chip.

I still use either ultex 2.0 or heavy jazztone 208s on my electric, where the sonic differences are less apparent.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
These have been doing the job for me for about a decade I think.

Screenshot_20211202-185619.png

Actually in that decade I've only bought two packs & still have most of them.

They never seem to wear out, I just slowly lose them.

Last edited:

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
The ones I use are made out of stone..... I also use ebony and lignum picks. I tried to go back but I cant. I used to make the things. Bottom line for me I have no choice. Don't stray from standard celluloid picks .... stay happy.

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Losing picks would be my biggest problem. Haha! I have enough trouble keeping my Jazz III picks but I still manage to find them in the wash or in the couch to keep my last 2 packs alive.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
I don’t always use a hi end, fancy pants pick, but when I do I love the Blue Chip with my Martin D-18’s and 28’s.

They really are special as has been mentioned.

Now, I don’t always use a BC with the Martins, but that’s a different story.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Dunlop Prime Tone, preferably textured, for acoustic and D’Addario Cortex for electric. I’m OCD about timbre.