High E String

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Clouds84, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

We were playing a song at practice today where my riff only consisted of the high E string up and down the neck. When playing back the recording, I can barely be heard. It's so weak and quiet. I'm just wondering is this because the high e string doesn't produce much volume? I'm thinking of using my boost pedal on this song to get a bit more volume.

Danjabellza likes this.
  2. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

It's likely an issue with the EQ at the board (mixdown?). It could be a mic issue as well.

When some people have their way, my electric guitar is only really audible on leads during instrumental breaks - so there is some preference involved (and guitarist are not the people they ask).

studio likes this.
  3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What recording are you playing back?

A one or two microphone recording from somewhere
    in the audience?

An all instrument mixdown?

What are we discussing here?

4. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

My bad! I accidently turned off compressor on my pedal. Turned it back on and it has decent volume again.. :lol:

GoldieLocks likes this.
  5. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Doh!

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well the compressor would definitely compensate and even the volume out across strings, but it could be masking the real problem. It sounds like you might want to adjust your pickups so the treble side is a bit higher. A very small adjustment in this way makes a big difference. Players that play mostly rhythm, cowboy chords and power chords often will like a "flatter" pickup orientation to get bigger and fuller chords, emphasizing the bass strings. But lead players often prefer a pickup angle that emphasizes the treble strings more and is more balanced across all strings. I would be in the latter camp ;)

Another place where I find this being an issue is with staggered pole pickups - especially "vintage" stagger on a Strat. The "G" string will be too loud while the high "E" is too soft. Ryan from Bootstrap pickups recommends flat, rather than staggered poles, for any guitar with more than a 9" fretboard radius, and I tend to agree, having decades of obsessive pickup swapping and adjusting under my belt! ;)

GoldieLocks and Clouds84 like this.
  7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

The compressor should help a lot with this. Also, try playing the single note run/lead higher up the neck on the B string. The B string is always thicker and fatter than the high E string, even playing the same notes.

JuneauMike and mkdaws32 like this.
  8. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

So... Neil Young comes to church?

I'm not throwing shade, Clouds84.
    I just had to say it

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think the high E string helps to keep somewhat even tension on the neck of the guitar. But beyond that, I haven't found much use for it.

davidwhitson, mkdaws32 and mRtINY like this.
  10. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

Well I'm guessing the compresser will help. When testing it at home, it sounded a lot more punchier. When listening to the recording, my electric was half the volume of the keyboard when only using the high E string. When using the other strings in other songs, it was fine.

When you say pickup, are you on about the pedal? The tone knob is about on the max for treble. I own the Fender FMT HH.

11. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

I normally use the B string a lot, but on this particlar song, it has to be the high E string due to the key it's in and the song.

I was just curious if the high E string is an overall weaker sound or not or if I need to make some adjustments on my pedal.

12. JuneauMike

When he says pickups, he's referring to the pickups on your guitar. Chasing more output from the high E string will also change the output on the other strings as well, obviously. Generally, the effect will be more pronounced on the unwound strings, I'm guessing.

(Kindly remember that all this discussion is responding to one interpretation of an audio recording. That's why I'd hesitate to weigh in. It may be exactly what the sound guy wanted, for whatever reason. So I'd probably start this conversation with him before I ask a bunch of gear-headed guitarists for advice.)

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

I have already spoken to the sound guy and they didn't touch anything.

14. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you are only playing one note at a time, unlike playing notes on the High E with a droning B string, you should be able to play them on the E or the B, or even the G string, for that matter, depending on how high your highest note is. Anyway, that said, the High E is always going to be tinnier and thinner sounding than any of the other strings. A compressor helps A LOT with that.

JuneauMike and Clouds84 like this.
  15. JuneauMike

Well there is actually a simple solution. They could turn you up slightly at the board for that riff. Sound guys often are called on to do that for solos or turnarounds, etc.

But generally, my experience is that the high E string does tend to be a little quieter than the B and G. Not sure if its pickup design or what, but that's the way it usually is.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This thing:
    E02D981D-1E01-490E-917F-519EBE16D8DB.jpeg

Use the screws on each side to raise or lower the angle of the pickup compared to the strings so the side of the pickup under the high strings is closer to the strings than the lower strings are. Again, very tiny changes can make a more dramatic difference than you might think.

Edit: It could also look like one of these and vary in colour:
    A7578F82-5DE0-4B51-A587-5F8EF9101EAA.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

that’s what she said...

18. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Also:
    Hopefully you buy a good brand of strings. (never attempt to save money in this area. Get the good stuff)

Also:
    Don't expect a lot of tone and balance from a .008 string. (it's fun - but there's a price for easy bendy strings: tone)

19. Clouds84

Clouds84 Tele-Meister

What I decided to do was use a booster (Boss GE-7) and boosted the volume up a bit. It actually sounded really good and decided to use this booster for another clean tone. I had so much settings on my pedalboard (Boss ME-80) just to get some decent volume that it started to sound so distorted. I was a little on top of the mix (not the vocals), but I used harmonics with reverb and it ended up blending in nicely. Got some positive feedback from people. Obviously when using overdrive, I won't be as loud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.