High E string tension

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VillainSean, Apr 27, 2020.

1. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting this strange behavior on some of my teles that have the vintage style three saddle bridges.
    it seems like the tension on the high E string gets tighter for some reason when I tune each guitar, and but stays in tune after playing.

Could it be some like the nut slot or the string slipping on the saddle?

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Does the barrel have the groove in it or smooth barrels? Might not be riding in the channel or rubbing against a set screw.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Mine too, except it happens with all of the strings. They get tighter as I tune them up to pitch, and then the guitar stays in tune.

Somebody please help us.

PhoenixBill, DougM, Boreas and 2 others like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

If it’s at pitch shouldn’t it be the same tension it’s always been

I’m not sure I understand

Boreas likes this.
  5. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

6. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic

Sorry for popping this back up, and I'm a little embarrassed and still have a question for you all.

It looks like in my rush to grab several sets of strings, I inadvertently grabbed the wrong set.
    I've been playing D'Addario 11s for years (decades, even) and the packaging is so similar.
    I clearly wasn't pay attention, so that's on me.
    Hopefully, these pictures help explain the source of my frustration.

upload_2021-2-1_17-10-45.png upload_2021-2-1_17-10-57.png

Somehow, I've never heard of "balanced tension" strings in all years.
    The marketing copy isn't exactly clear on what "balanced tension" actually means,

Anybody care to educate me on this, before flaming me for being dumb? ;)

LutherBurger and Fretting out like this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Never heard of the term. Looks like just another take on Medium string gauge preference. Kinda like Bluegrass strings or XXX signature strings.

8. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Balanced tension string are designed to develop the same tension on each string (in standard tuning).
    I use D'addario 10s Balanced Tension and I am very happy with them, compared to the same 10s strings in standard gauge.
    In my case, the tension of each string is around 17lb.

9. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic

Thanks for that explanation.
    I could probably spend some time getting used to them, they definitely produce a different "feel" that I'm used to.

10. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

It's important to note that there is nothing "special" about balanced tension strings. They are just regular strings, where the gauges in the set have been chosen to provide slightly less difference in tension across all the strings. Take for example a regular set, where there is a 0.030" string and it has a tension that is a little higher than the other strings. So in a balanced set, they substitute a 0.029" string instead. Since tension is entirely due to scale length, tuner frequency, and (core) diameter (~core gauge squared), the lower gauge string has less tension. If instead it's more obvious that some strings in the regular set have tension that is a little lower than the other strings, the balanced set will have a slightly higher gauge (tension) for those strings.

EXL115 has 11,14,18,28,38,49.
    EXL115BT has 11,15,19,28,37,50.

If you look at the D'Addario individual-string part numbers in any set, you can see that the strings in a balanced set have the same part number as when that same-gauge string is included in another, regular set. Because they are the same string.

D'Addario is one of the few string manufacturers that publish their string tensions. So it's easier to see what you are getting in any set.

The reasons why the gauges in the original regular set were chosen is often obscure. The balanced tension sets could be seen as an admission that someone made a mistake back then.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    PhoenixBill likes this.
  11. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Although I am not sure it was a mistake, but rather more likely it was just that the gauges chosen were “standard” sizes based on the available materials and the string winding machines that were out there years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.