1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

High E catching on the screw head - La Cab style with TV Jones

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Throttleneck, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Hi Folks,

I just got a La Cab style partscaster that is completely awesome. It sounds fantastic. However, I have a really annoying problem when I play it.

I cannot play it for more than 5 minutes without catching the high e on the screw head of the TV Jones Classic pickup.

I the picture below the e hooks over the edge of the screw to the very right of the picture and gets hung up there. The screw that holds the pickup in place.

[​IMG]

You can see from the picture above that the pickup is not completely centered in the rout. So re-centering would probably help. But I live 90 miles from the nearest guitar tech so it will be a while before I can take it in.

Here is the gap on the right:

[​IMG]

And the gap on the left

[​IMG]

It sounds great but this is driving me crazy.

I thought about putting a little clear nail polish there so that it wouldn't catch.

I thought about filing it down but that didn't seem like a great idea.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do until I can take it into a tech?

Thanks!

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

lower the pickup? would that help? Is that possible?

3. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Either lower the pickup, file the screw head or, and this is what I'd do, swap the screws for dome head pozidrive screws.

4. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a little clear silicon sealant, which could be removed after a permanent solution is found.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

You're talking about the mounting screw? Seems to me that if the string is hitting that screw head at all, the pick-up must be way too high--or else you're a total wild man! :D That screw is lower than the pick-up posts; if you're hitting that one, your strings are whanging into the pick-ups all the time, aren't they?

I'd check first to make sure that the pick-up height is right, and then I'd look into smaller-headed screws.

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It looks like the screw heads overhang the pickup body a bit. I'd remove them and either reduce the head diameter using the drill & file method. or replace them with a screw with a smaller head, like those that are used to mount P90s.

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Flat-head screws ?

But first I would sandpaper the screw-head and smooth out the top of that screw so it can't catch the string - or grind it down.

You can also raise the bridge on that side slightly - I would try both before looking for flat-heads that fit.

8. edocaster

edocaster Tele-Meister

I've got this same problem on my Gretsch. The high e string keeps getting caught in the neck pickup mounting screw head. Usually when I get a bit too excited and strum a bit too hard.

I will try look into the suggestions above and subscribing to see more suggestions.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

^^This^^

10. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Yes! that overhang lip is the problem. Even look at socket head screws.

11. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Well, sometimes I am just impulsive. I just filed the freaking thing down and now I can bang away to my hearts content.

My background is punk so I am a bit heavy handed I guess. Though I like the idea that I am a wild man. :)

Smaller screws was a much better idea. I'll get everything right when I get the alignment fixed.

The pick up is not too high. I measured everything from that TV Jones site. That wasn't the problem.

I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you all.

12. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

How about a picture of the full guitar? Did you build it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.