High dollar pickups in a Low dollar guitar, your thoughts,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Amen Brother!!

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

I upgraded an Ibanez AS73 with some GFS Ferrite Goldfoils, inexpensive pickups but definite improvement for my ears. Pickups are such a crapshoot, good luck to the OP!

Straydogger and Shuster like this.
  3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

A good guitar is a good guitar regardless of the name on the headstock or resale value. So if you have a guitar you like, go ahead & hot rod it.

4. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

Regardless of the value of the guitar, if you love how it feels then definitely install the pickups. If not...can’t polish a turd.

Shuster likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

When I'm buying low dollar guitars I hope that when I crack open the pickguard I find high dollar pickups that I swap in cheap pickups and sell the high dollar pickups. If just lowly factory inexpensive pickups I leave them.

I have found that swapping pots and caps does as much or more to the tone of a guitar as swapping pickups. I have tricks for too bright, too muddy, and so on that I stopped worrying about changing pickups unless I wanted a change in type of pickup like Strat to Lipsticks or Humbucker to a P90 in a small case.

Getting the same pots and caps that are in $5,000 guitars only costs around $30.

6. palmerfralick

palmerfralick TDPRI Member

I'm guilty. Currently have Lollar Special T's in my CV body. Along with an Obsidian 4 way harness (bought used) and a Baja neck. Once you start down the parts caster road all rules and bets are off. If you like it who cares! I have even thought about the $500 Fender custom wound pick ups but I must stop. maybe

Shuster and GGardner like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

With those huge F holes, it’s like Ibanez is begging you to upgrade the components. If you ever gutted and upgraded a semi hollow body you hoped for F holes this big, it makes the job so much easier.

Shuster likes this.
  8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I put a set of $250 custom wound Porter Anthem humbuckers in my $870 dollar PRS SE. So obscenely good I'm planning to have two more sets made. One for my Sheraton and one for my Epi ES-335 Pro. Starting with good, inexpensive guitars and bringing the pickups up to snuff is a very fulfilling thing.

Shuster and boredguy6060 like this.
  9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Never heard of those, I'll have to look them up!

10. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have had similar results with an epi I had. it was the Special 2 model with no cap and tune-o-matic bridge, the stock pickups really made that $35 flea market find sing. I swapped in a set of 57 classic pickups I had kicking around and it just was not happy. but it was worth a try:)

Shuster likes this.
  11. stepvan

Go for it, if you like the guitar and it plays well then that's worth more than a dollar value. never money wasted if its a keeper

Shuster likes this.
  12. stepvan

I upgraded my MiM tele with a set of Fender 64'pure drive pickups they were around $60 for the pair on ebay and they really woke up the guitar. Huge difference

Shuster likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Just received the guitar I bought the TVJones pickups for. The pickups are weeks out from being delivered. IMG_20190905_182741.jpg

fatcat and Shuster like this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I split the difference. Here's my Gretsch Electromatic w/ a cheap GFS in the neck and a more expensive TV Jones in the bridge.

Gretsch.JPG

Shuster and fatcat like this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I sold the 73 strat pickups a couple of years ago for $450. They were in a 80's squire strat. Those Squire years were best and with these pickups, if I told you ,custom shop, you would believe.

Shuster likes this.
  16. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender Squier Strat Pack, $89.00, Johnson Chinese factory, same size as US Strat. Swapped the stock pickups, with Fender CS Texas Specials and found them to be a good match. This was a father and son project and my son learned to solder.

2008 Fender Road Worn 60s Strat, changed out the pick guard for a Fender CS Fat 50s loaded pickguard. The guitar is fun to play and has that Fender chime and handles gain very well.

My experiences, have been positive.

YMMV

Shuster likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, what are you waiting for? Slap the Fralins in and see how it sounds. You have nothing to lose. I replaced the pups in an $80 dollar pawn shop Squier Strat with a Fender set, it sounds glorious.

Shuster, stepvan and 4pickupguy like this.
  18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! I learned a lot from that guitar. That guitar became my #1 for a year. I put a Warmoth neck on it later. I’ve since built one from a cheapo GFS body that is currently the best sounding guitar I have ever held in my hands in my 43 years of guitar playing. I can’t put it down.

19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I loaded a pair of extra old Fender CS Texas Specials I had put away, into my Squier CV 60's Tele. I already loved the way the CV played and didn't mind the sound. I just needed this guitar to be my backup for my Fender Tele American Standard that I had loaded with CS Texas Specials over 20 years ago. Oh, yeah....the Texas Specials brought my CV exactly to where I had hoped they would. I'm actually playing the CV more than I do the AM Std now. It was a great swap. I wish I had done it sooner.

Shuster likes this.
  20. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I would try it. Experiment with the cap as well.

Shuster and stepvan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.