1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

High beam clickers on cars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Aug 23, 2018.

1. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Having it on the stalk makes it much easier to flash them furiously when overtaking.

IOW, get the h out of the left lane and drive right as the law says.

boris bubbanov and fendertx like this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Strictly cost IMO. Simpler wiring harness. Eliminate the cable run to the floor switch and the switch itself. Just run a bundle up to the stalk, snap one connector, done. Probably saved ten minutes labor, and that's gold.

Harry Styron likes this.
  3. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I agree,most of the kids these days would say,what's a clutch and, what's that other pedal down there for.

4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

After the starter, the headlights draw more current than anything else on the car. (Once upon a time, the starter switch was on the floor too.) Simplicity requires a heavy-duty switch to handle the current, and putting it on the floor kept the heavy wiring among the battery, switch and lights a bit shorter. To operate the heavy-duty contacts also requires a pretty hefty spring and mechanism if you expect it to last very long, so making it foot-operated makes sense.

Eventually we started using relays and solenoids to activate the starter switch. Why we took longer to adopt relays for the headlights, I don’t know, but once more cars from outside the US started showing up on our shores with a relay for the headlights, US makers started adopting them as well.

boris bubbanov, trapdoor2 and Tony474 like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't ever recall one on the steering column fail. I recall messing around with the old style so I could have lights when I needed them.

I liked my CJ5 in ways but it was a crude, low build quality vehicle compared to the days I had 4Runner with 5 speed, electric lockers and heavy duty electrics and brake package. That 19 year old 4Runner is still going.

Sorry, except for our Model A Ford, I've lost most of my love for automobiles. Maybe I'll get it back when my aging body fails. I don't miss the crap quality, crap handling, crap everything from the 2 Jeeps and older pickup trucks I had. I don't get why people even like the stuff. Driving old trucks and machines wrecked my hearing. I'm guessing shifting until into my 50s is part of a left knee wearing out.

I love the semi-autonomous features and premium sound system my Subaru has. I want modern autos with as little money spent on them as possible. I'm taking the dimmer switch where ever I get it as long as I don't have to waste the time and money on SFQ vehicles.

:)

aerhed likes this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Like somebody is going to put down their cell phone to use the turn signal indicator ?
    Put it back on the floor .

sonicsmitty, 2blue2 and flathd like this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

On top of the reasons already mentioned they're now working on removing mechanical items from the footwells of the car. In a crash stuff in the footwell is more likely to cause injury.

See left foot actuated emergency/parking brakes. They have been endangered species since 2010 or so and disappearing fast because they make it harder for the car to get a good rating in the small overlap frontal collision test. Stuff in the footwell in that crash tends to impact & break the drivers legs.

As for motorcycles.. the modern transmission/control layout most likely came out of racing. I never rode one of those old triumphs but if the layout of their transmission bits might have required more space and the modern layout allowed the transmission to be shrunk.. less weight and more mass centralization. Stuff that wins races tends to win in the market with motorcycles.

8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Learned to drive on a '71 Challenger! Brown with black vinyl top. 318 engine. Loved that car.

2blue2 and HotRodSteve like this.
  9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I LOVE this idea.

The local parts store sells the switches for $7.

My next project.

I can't have the old ford I've always wanted (I was the kid who wished for Uncle Jessie's truck instead of the General Lee). Old pickups are just not practical for my family right now. But I could have a "brights" boost pedal :D

pictacado likes this.
  10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I've never known cars with that switch on the floor but it doesn't seem all that great to me, especially on long drives when you can shimmy to find space and get comfyer with the cruise on.

I drive a 2016 Subaru with a standard transmission (new cars still have 'em!), I'd prefer my left foot to have one job and not have to be careful where I put that foot when I'm off the clutch between changes, some of us have longer legs than others.

Lastly, high beams should generally be operated as a toggle, so what's the difference anyway? Click them on or click them off, big whoop, your headlights were already on anyway.

In the decade I've been driving I think I've accidentally hit the high beams around two times, it's not a safety hazard on the column, being able to turn your low beams off is, but I've already been crucified for bringing that up before hahaha. Moving on... As well, most cars are driven in town where you don't need high beams at all sooo.....

I'm much more bummed about the decline of manual transmissions, the crappy electronic throttle (latency) coupled with the hydraulic clutch (no latency) in my car, and the crappy soft paint Subaru uses.

RomanS likes this.
  11. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Well, Ford has a reputation for electrical problems.

12. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

This...I had to replace the original one on my '51 because the plate that held it down was rusted away and the switch was stuck.

I do prefer the floor switch, because the windshield wipers don't come on when I dim the lights.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  13. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

My first car was an 87 Cherokee chief, I loved that thing! It too had the floor switch for the high beams. I’ve always thought it was rather intuitive.

14. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My mother had a '65 Oldsmobile Starfire (loved that car) with an electronic eye on the dash that would automatically dim the brights when another car was approaching. I think it was adjustable for sensitivity too.

15. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Those floor buttons were fine until they got any moisture in them. Don't really miss them...much easier to give a quick courtesy flash (even when your lights ain't on) at a 4-way stop for instance, with these new-fangled stalks. ;)

16. imwjl

Age showing here.

If I could only be so lucky to have most of the vehicles I've had over decades to have the same failings our late model Subaru has had.

Sconnie likes this.
  17. imwjl

So as much as sensitivity training has become a thing, it clearly did not save Oldsmobile.

GearHund likes this.
  18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My 1955 Buick has two switches on the floor. One is high beam, the other is the radio "seek" button (a "Wonderbar" radio, it was the first to have a seek feature. It is AM only and weighs in around 40lbs). I have big, wide feet...hard to hit one without hitting the other.

The starter switch on the Buick is on the carburetor. If all is well, you tap the throttle pedal twice (cold start, gets some gas into the intake) and then turn on the ignition switch and depress the throttle pedal. About 1/3 the way down, it will engage the starter and fire up (hopefully). It has a Rube Goldberg, vacuum-operated ball bearing contactor in the carb that sends a signal to the starter relay to disengage the starter when it actually starts.

19. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I actually looked it up once, gypsy jim is right (according to what I read anyway) - it was to keep up with luxury European import cars. It also changed when more autos starting using front wheel drive, there was less room down there.

Our old farm truck had a foot switch dimmer when I was growing up and I loved it. When my '01 Ram pickup was dying three years ago I started thinking about getting a classic truck to replace it. One of the reasons was that floor switch.

Unfortunately I couldn't find one at a good condition/price point and wound up with a new Silverado. But next time I need to find a vehicle I'll be back on Auto Trader Classic... looking for foot switchable dimmers.

getbent likes this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Allows one design to be clutch based or automatic transmission.

I drive an old ‘63 British vintage car with an auto box and it has the foot clicker.. its nice. All my other cars are manuals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.