Higgins on Mannix

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire

John Hillerman was on Mannix tonight, playing a mob hitman who rubs out a mob boss for a rival mob boss, but the body never shows up, so he can't get paid until his employer has proof of the hit, and he hires Mannix to find the body, with a fabricated story about finding a dead man whose body then disappears. He later gets hit himself by his disgruntled employer. In all the decades since Magnum, this was the first time I heard his regular voice, without his faux uppercrust British Higgins accent, and he sounds just like me, or any other California native, or millions of other Americans from other places that have no real discernable accent. This clip was from an appearance on Five-0 in '76. I don't remember it, or him in What's Up Doc, or his many other film roles either

Last edited:

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Magnum PI (which I never watched) left me with an eternal grudge against John Hillerman. Not his fault, and the reason is complicated, but my skin crawls when I see him.

I’m weird that way (and a few others).

oldunc

Tele-Afflicted
He did some appearances on Magnum as various identical relatives and did some accents, including Texas. Never liked the character much- he was supposed to be tedious, but maybe overdid it a bit. The show was pretty good for several years, but the last couple were a mess; I ran through the whole series but gave up halfway through the last season.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
He did some appearances on Magnum as various identical relatives and did some accents, including Texas. Never liked the character much- he was supposed to be tedious, but maybe overdid it a bit. The show was pretty good for several years, but the last couple were a mess; I ran through the whole series but gave up halfway through the last season.

Tom was still searching for his calling at that time, now he's found it. He wouldn't be recommending you get one of those reverse mortgages if he didn't fully believe in it!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

John Hillerman was on Mannix tonight, playing a mob hitman who rubs out a mob boss for a rival mob boss, but the body never shows up, so he can't get paid until his employer has proof of the hit, so he hires Mannix to find the body. In all the decades since Magnum, this was the first time I heard his regular voice, without his faux uppercrust British Higgins accent, and he sounds just like me, or any other California native, or millions of other Americans from other places that have no real discernable accent. This clip was from an appearance on Five 0 in '76. I don't remember it, or him in What's Up Doc

He was good in both Paper Moon and Chinatown, among others. Magnum was the first thing I noticed him in, though, and I also believed him to be British. Your Mannix clip is BEFORE Magnum. (1980)
He was a more accomplished actor than some give him credit for.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Tom was still searching for his calling at that time, now he's found it. He wouldn't be recommending you get one of those reverse mortgages if he didn't fully believe in it!
I really like his new series Blue Bloods, even with Donny in it. It's well written and produced, although it's getting a little long in the tooth, and is weaker now than the first few seasons, IMO

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I really like his new series Blue Bloods, even with Donny in it. It's well written and produced, although it's getting a little long in the tooth, and is weaker now than the first few seasons, IMO

Blue Bloods is pretty cool, I haven't watched it a lot, but the times I have I enjoyed it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
He was good in both Paper Moon and Chinatown, among others. Magnum was the first thing I noticed him in, though, and I also believed him to be British. Your Mannix clip is BEFORE Magnum. (1980)
He was a more accomplished actor than some give him credit for.

Well you should know, and he does! (Sidebar confession, I have no clue what it is he's staring IN)

magnum-pi-john-hillerman.gif

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Blue Bloods is pretty cool, I haven't watched it a lot, but the times I have I enjoyed it.
It's a great concept, with the dichotomy of balancing their sometimes conflicting professional lives with their personal family relationships, and love and loyalty for each other. It was better, IMO, before they killed off Linda, and when the kids were younger. Bridget (Erin) and her daughter are, IMO, two of the most fleshed out characters, but the others are all good too, with Donny perhaps being the weakest of them all

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Tele-Afflicted

John Hillerman was on Mannix tonight, playing a mob hitman who rubs out a mob boss for a rival mob boss, but the body never shows up, so he can't get paid until his employer has proof of the hit, and he hires Mannix to find the body, with a fabricated story about finding a dead man whose body then disappears. He later gets hit himself by his disgruntled employer. In all the decades since Magnum, this was the first time I heard his regular voice, without his faux uppercrust British Higgins accent, and he sounds just like me, or any other California native, or millions of other Americans from other places that have no real discernable accent. This clip was from an appearance on Five-0 in '76. I don't remember it, or him in What's Up Doc, or his many other film roles either

He's in Blazing Saddles as well, playing "Howard Johnson" and always quoting Nietzsche, speaking with his American accent.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I like him as Jesse Stone in the Robert Parker books. Even after all these years he's still a good solid hero despite a couple extra ounces and few grey hairs...like the rest of us.;)

Magnum_PI_Summer_Sexy_Heartthrob.jpg

tumblr_inline_nwa5wky4ou1tnywua_1280.jpg

teleMc

Tele-Meister
"... and he sounds just like me, or any other California native, or millions of other Americans from other places that have no real discernible accent."

... to you

... everybody's got an accent bro! It's their melody. :)

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Several years ago, it blew my mind to find out he was a Texan…I was sure he was a Brit, or at the very least a “Hah-Vaud” (Harvard) New Englander.

It’s funny, I can do a Maine accent or a Boston accent or attempt a Southern drawl but could not identify an American accent as opposed to a British accent.

I recently was surprised to learn that the daughter on Yellowstone is a Brit playing an American.
I literally hear some regions of the US and my own speech as having no accent at all, as if it was proper normal English pronunciation.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
He always brought something better to the story with his characterizations. Super versatile too; he could sing and dance.

His Higgins voice always reminded me of Jim Backus' Thurston Howell transatlantic/lockjaw accent on Gilligan's island.

Well yeah and I’m not sure if that’s because those Hollywood style Brit TV accents were caricatures?
Or genuine regional English, educated English, or non London English?

Am I way off to feel that most TV and Hollywood back then was kind of racist and American supremacist?

Stuff like putting Bruce Lee in a sidekick role and some of the uses of Hispanic and black characters, seldom if ever the alpha, even if clearly better than their costars.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can’t really remember Higgins on old Magnum PI but I have a mad crush on the Higgins in today’s Magnum PI.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's a great concept, with the dichotomy of balancing their sometimes conflicting professional lives with their personal family relationships, and love and loyalty for each other. It was better, IMO, before they killed off Linda, and when the kids were younger. Bridget and her daughter are, IMO, two of the most fleshed out characters, but the others are all good too, with Donny perhaps being the weakest of them all

It’s actually the only role I’ve ever liked Tom Selleck in, can’t stand seeing his face in any other roles.
You may be right that it was better before those changes, I only watched it for a time in the earlier years.
The air time given to those scrunched up serious expressions, giving such careful consideration to matters of great import!