Hide and Seek Champion 2019!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jul 23, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/co...cle_5e30d933-6ef1-545f-9e98-577472a6df8a.html

The decomposed male body found in January behind a cooler in a vacant former supermarket in Iowa was identified by police Monday as belonging to an employee who vanished nearly a decade ago.

The Council Bluffs Police Department confirmed in a news release the deceased man found Jan. 24 inside the closed-down No Frills Supermarket Store on West Broadway was identified as Larry Ely Murillo‐Moncada, who was 25-years-old when he vanished.

Murillo‐Moncada was reported missing by his parents Nov. 28, 2009 after he became upset and ran out of their home. Sgt. Brandon Danielson told the Des Moines Register that Murillo‐Moncada ran out of his house “with no shoes, no socks, no keys, [and] no car” in the middle of a snowstorm.

While it is unclear what prompted his abrupt exit, his mother told the Daily Nonpareil at the time that her son was prescribed an antidepressant the day before his disappearance and he seemed disoriented and had even started hallucinating.

Police said Murillo‐Moncada was an employee at the No Frills Supermarket but was not scheduled to work the day he was last seen. The store had been closed for about three years by the time the body was discovered by contractors who had been ordered to remove shelving and coolers from the building.

Authorities believe Murillo‐Moncada left his home and went to the supermarket where he sat on top of the coolers which, according to former employees, was a common thing for workers to do when they wanted to be alone during a break period.

He likely fell into an approximately 18-inch gap between the back of the cooler and a wall and became trapped. Police did not offer an official cause of death, but ruled it accidental as the autopsy report showed no signs of trauma.

The body, which had gone unnoticed for almost 10 years, was so badly decomposed it had to be identified through DNA analysis, police said.

2. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Man, that really stinks...

~syf

3. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

As they caution you in London's subway system: MIND THE GAP

rcole_sooner and getbent like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dude is mentally ill and/or prescribed the wrong dosage of antidepressants , flips out , leaves his house in traumatic fashion - unprepared for the elements.

Then his compromised brain tells him to go to the one place he would go to chill out - on top of a walk in cooler at his crap job. The sadness/pathetic-ness of that is just beyond.

Something happens and he falls and dies - alone.

Family who loves him never finds out what happened to him - until 10 years later. And it’s far more horrible than him drowning in a lake because he should have been found . So now they’re mourning again.

I’m usually the most unfeeling/flat affect ****er around but I’m failing to see the yuk-yuk.

If you liked that one though, I could tell a real funny one about this guy Layne Staley who played in this little obscure band called Alice In Chains . Dude became a recluse drug addict and died alone , weighing less than 100 lbs and wasn’t discovered for a month. :lol::lol::lol:

That’s a real knee-slapper...o_O

h4ck.b0x7 and Bill like this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

That store must have a really horrible ambient smell for a dead body to go unnoticed for 10 years, or even ten days.

Chunkocaster and Flakey like this.
  6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for showing us your sensitive side. :eek:

Nubs likes this.
  7. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

The report just demonstrates the sometimes absolutely bizarre , random nature of human existence and death.

PhredE and getbent like this.
  8. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I think technically the Hide and Seek Champion from 2009 needs to give their trophy back.

Chunkocaster and getbent like this.
  9. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

That's right across the river from me. My wife and I were discussing how the smell of a decomposing body did not raise any alarms with the management. You would think they would have had someone come in and check things out. Even if they assumed it was a raccoon or feral cat (lots of those around here) you'd think they would have wanted it cleaned up.

Chunkocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  10. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

It could happen to any of us, we're all just a step or two away from that edge.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  11. getbent

just an oddity... not necessarily a knee slapper... just that NO ONE could find him....

12. getbent

this.... is genius. I bow to you!

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  13. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Police said Murillo‐Moncada was an employee at the No Frills Supermarket but was not scheduled to work the day he was last seen. The store had been closed for about three years by the time the body was discovered by contractors who had been ordered to remove shelving and coolers from the building.

wait?... how long was it after the day he went missing to when the store actually closed?....

was it still open and running while the body was behind the freezer?... for how long?

getbent likes this.
  15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I saw that news earlier and it was all easy to believe. Here's the context.
    1. I'm a grocery chain IT director so know the many sorts of people who work at them. A store has a lot of employees ranging from very basic and part-time to highly skilled and talented professionals.
    2. Some might remember a post I made here maybe a year or two ago. Thinking I was heading home ended up a dude with mental illness alerted me to intervene where another guy with limited abilities was suicidal.
    3. There are strange and scary places in grocery stores - especially older ones. No one would hear you by the compressors. There are unusual drafts and HVAC challenges where you have refrigeration, kitchens and climate control for people.
    4. Store remodels and acquisitions always yield surprises. Especially in an older store or one where the building has had additions.
    The guy heading to the store when upset is also easy to believe because I feel we are decades into change where many are not in old school social organizations. How many here are regulars in stuff like a bowling league, old school congregation activities, softball league, have a night scheduled playing cards or something like Lions Club or Rotary? Very often one's work place seems to be the only non-family or non-online social structure many have.

Poor guy, and poor family. As crazy as the story is, I hope the family has some closure now.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it was the "No Frills Supermarket"......apparently being odor-free is a "frill"......

PhredE and Mike SS like this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Thought this would be another Bigfoot thread.

[​IMG]

18. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Seems to me he disappeared in 2009 and was found this year. It says the store was closed for 3 years before contractors were sent in to remove shelving and coolers, which would mean the store closed in 2016. That leads me to believe that he was behind that cooler for 7 years while the store still operated.

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

It was stated that the employees would sit on top of these coolers during their breaks, so I am going to assume these were not in the retail/customer area of the store. They were probably in the warehouse area in the back, so the odor was not evident to anyone but workers.

20. getbent

that is my understanding as well... I guess no yearly 'deep cleaning' at the store once a year.

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.