Hi guys. What is the best under $300 small bedroom tube amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Owenmoney, Aug 3, 2013.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Some thoughts:

- 1 watt of tube amp is already too loud
    - Pushing the gain in master volumes amp & turning down the master below 50 percent doesn't usually sound all that great
    - below a certain point of volume, we should abandon the idea of tubes amps altogether, it just doesn't make sense (I'm the 1st surprised at what I'm saying)
    - I got a Victoria Champ, with a low efficieny 92db or somethingt speaker. The amp is loud enough for gigs
    - attenuators leave a fizzy trail to the sound of the notes, just sound off & destroy your output tubes

THe Yamaha THR10C changed all that. It's got a mini Z model where you nail ZZ tio at whisper volumes, it just sounds great.

2. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

I'll throw a vote Yamaha's way for the THX5. It has 5 modelling settings (Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brit, Modern, several fx combos (reverb/delay/phase/chorus...other stuff...), it has Master Vol, Gain, Vol, Tone. It has a headphone jack, an IPod/MP3 player jack and excellent stereo playback and you can play along (Guitarioke!). You can run it via plug or with 8 AA batteries. It's also light as can be, the size of a lunchbox and, best of all, it sounds pretty darn good.

All for $200

3. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

Since this is the only post from the OP, I'm not sure that any of us knows what he wants. One sentence and a band reference ain't much to go on.

Most of the replies have been in response to other members posts, not the original question asked by owenmoney.

How loud can you get? How big is the space or why do you need to keep the volumes down. Low volume to me is probably as different from the OP as Ted Nuggent vs. Dave Brubek. Does low volume mean, can't be heard in the next room, apartment or block?

Since we are now on the 3rd page, it would be nice to hear back from owenmoney and see if anyone has been on the right track. May just be a bunch of guys arguing with each other over topics that don't answer his question.

4. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

I didn't say no tube amp under $300 sounds good, but I haven't found one that has a good distorted sound at low volumes. I've played all the amps everyone talked about in this thread, except the Valve Jr. For practicing at low volumes, I think the Mustang is the best, or the Super Champ XD.

5. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Used Peavey Classic 30, right at 300

6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

"bedroom" "tubes" "under $300"

Pick two.

A great bedroom tube amp that will give you ZZ Top at low levels is the Little Lanilei. Way over $300.

GDEC 3-30 (now discontinued?) or other modeler can give you anything you want at bedroom levels, for less than $300, but there's no tube.

7. Edwin

Edwin Banned

For the bedroom there are a lot of quiet small amps, Mustang, Line six, Blackstar HT1 and so on although I never play guitar in the bedroom..........just sayin'.

I don't think great tone is an issue at quiet levels.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps the OP went to sleep.
    maybe someone in the vicinity should knock on the bedroom door? :D

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

10. HumbuckerTele

HumbuckerTele TDPRI Member

Isn't it too loud? How does a an XD or X2 sound on low volume?

A Blackstar HT-R1 seems an option?

11. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

+1 - "Pathfinder"
    Isn't a tube....but sounds like a tube.
    Isn't a 12" speaker...but sounds like 12" speaker.
    No longer in production but can be had for a song on CL.

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I have had a 70s 100W Marshall Super Lead (Plexi), I can assure you that "that sound" is not from pushing the output valves hard. One pre- is biased hot, the next cold, to top and tail the signal. No MV but you do get a Presence knob to play with.
    You do not wind these up to crunch the output bottles in an enclosed space, "1" is too loud!

A lot of "that sound" is down to the Marshall's pair of 4x12 cabs.

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Pathfinder is basically a cut-down Valvetronix without the amp modelling, FX, and the bigger & better speaker. That means it can't do the clean and the ZZ Top at required volume level.

I have no idea where you get your information from, the Pathfinder 15r is still in production.
    "Page last modified 07 August 2013" - it is still current and fresh
    http://www.voxamps.com/uk/pathfinder/pathfinder15/

14. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I bought the Mustang 1 based solely on the Twin model. I was more than happy with several others as well, but Im glad I didn't do anything rash like sell my other amps because after a couple months it developed the dreaded hiss that couldn't be tamed with Fuse or my NS2. So I got rid of it. Maybe the V2 is more reliable. Among other amps (including the aforementioned Pathfinder that is still the best deal going) I now have a Vypyr VIP1, but the Mustang sounded better at low volumes.

15. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

My first mustang konked out on me, too. The tuner stuck on and it wouldn't go back to being an amp. $99 amp, good. $99 tuner, no deal. I took it back to the store, they gave me another one, in the box. I've had it nearly a year. Played it everyday...until today. First vacation since I got it.

Taken it to friends jams, used it outside as a speaker for my iPhone, so far. It hasn't missed beat, knock on wood cross my heart.. It's almost out of warranty. That'll tell the tale. :)

Love the performance, esp. at low volumes.

16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic

I agree that the Bugera V5 is a good deal for the money , I've also used a Blackheart 5 watt amp and I currently am using a Valve Jr. that I modded . I use an OCD pedal and a compressor to get a driven tone , works for me but probably not for everyone . I also go through a 1-12 cabinet with Eminence speaker , a good speaker makes a hell of a difference . Z54

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

You've had it for nearly five years? You did realize Fender puts a five year, transferable warranty on their electronics products?

18. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Some Bugera V5 samples- 4 guitars at modest volume

http://audiotests.webs.com/

This thing was on a stand in my control room, at ear level. It's fair to say it wasn't too bloody loud. You can drop it down to 1/4 watt, BTW.

Mine is modded with a NOS RCA 12AX7 and an Eminence 8" Hemp speaker.

19. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

No, I didn't go to sleep, I had trouble with my iPhone app for a few days, , I really like hearing all of your opinions, you guys certainly have a lot of knowledge amongst you so I really try to take it all in and weigh it out for my benefit. I will be going to GC this week and trying a bunch of your suggestions and see who comes out the winner. I'm going in open minded so we will see what my ears prefer. Thank y'all very much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.