1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hi Fellas! Bought a Nocaster!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Crazy neddie, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Hey team, happy Friday. I was searching for a big necked tele high and low. I tried the hot rod 52’s but not there. I accepted it has to be the biggest U they have, so I found one of the 51 time machine NOS guitars. She’s on the way now I’m pumped up! Can’t wait to get her out on the town.
    Could you guys be kind enough to tell me about your Nocasters?

2. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

About 10 years ago I found a 2003 "Closet Classic" Nocaster on eBay and bought it right away since these don't show up too often up here.

The thick neck takes a bit to get used to but still comfortable. The pickups sound fantastic and the light weight doesn't hurt either.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Crazy neddie likes this.
  3. Crazy neddie

Thanks! I love the giant neck. I have a U neck on a CS strat that is fantastic so I’m hoping it’s similar. Just can’t wait to plug it in.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I can tell you about them....I WANT one!!! Congrats. Sounds like a fine guitar!

P.S. my cousin lives in Rhode Island-perhaps you know him?

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

CONGRATS!

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

HNGD to you Congratulations. That's a real find.

I've never even seen one... they don't seem to exisit in the UK. and I live quite centrally in London wihit access to all the guitar shops here.

I do however have the CS '51 Nocaster pickups in a 50s Roadworn and they are perfect for that chunky 50s snap and growl.

Re Nocasters, I still can't work out how the necks are so massive yet the bodies so light. How? They must be genius guitar builders there. When I tried that on a build all I got was bad neck dive! Ripped it up and started again.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Hello to you. And congratulations! Hiwever, if we don’t get pictures, it didn’t happen.

Nubs likes this.
  8. Slammintone

Slammintone TDPRI Member

IMG_3305.JPG IMG_3308.JPG IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3310.JPG

Yep here's what you are in for!!

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My FCS No-Caster is from 2006, and is a yellow type of finish, clear pale maple with maple rod plug, of the NOS variety.

Great guitar and basically ready to play when I got it from a GC, high on a hook and having been I think sold and returned. But there's no reason it should have been returned, 'cause it is immaculate. No truss rod change, no flaw in the fretwork, no need to readjust a single saddle, and the nut is perfect - and the control plate arrangement is very much to my liking.

I've changed the strings maybe 10-12 times, and installed straplocks - that's it.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

11. Slammintone

Slammintone TDPRI Member

I got Nocaster used and there may have been a couple of minor mods done. Firstly there was a grounding wire coming from a pickup mounting screw to the volume pot. I'm almost positive that was not stock by the look of it and then there was a .001pf treble bleed cap on the volume pot that looked stock but was unnecessary and ruined the sound when turning the volume down. Both were removed. The build sheet specified modern wiring which is fine but not really my preference. At some point I will have to decide if I'm going to do a blend circuit rewire or a standard '53-'67 harness or maybe find a bit twangier and beefier sounding bridge pickup and make an Esquire out of it. That would be fun.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I think a big part of it is having a heel adjust truss rod as opposed to headstock adjust. I've had both kinds of neck and the neck with a headstock adjust truss rod, was much heavier feeling and more likely to cause neck dive. It puts a lot more weight at the headstock end of the neck, whereas the heel adjust actually put weight in such a place that makes it less likely to have neck dive.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

By the way, congratulations! Happy NGD!

15. Crazy neddie

What’s his name?

16. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Lol. Actually I’ve only met him once. He works at Hasbro

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. Post pics when you get that bad boy.

18. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I have 2006 relic, that I left completely stock. I love it, its like putting on sweat pants and relaxing. I left blender switch on and the neck is just amazing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  19. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

Very nice!

20. Crazy neddie

Hey team, thanks for all the good words on this fiddle. Man I played last night in a small room with a great crowd and I was jonesing for that tele! Got the Vibrolux cooking good though:)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.