1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hi Everyone, I'm new!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by icantplaywellyet, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico:D Guitar is like anything one tackles, practice practice practice

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I almost replied "Hi New. I'm unixfish!" but I resisted the urge. :D

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the Telecaster Nut House. Enjoy playing & keep it fun.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome! It will be a series of those moments over the next few years as you learn. The more you play the more you will connect the dots in the knowledge department.
    I took lessons from a guy who had perfect pitch and was the musical genius type. One of his first strength lessons was to start with fret 1 on the low E, and walk up index to pinky 1, 2, 3, 4 then to the A string and so on. When you reached the high E, 1, 2, 3, 4 then you slide up 1 fret, then walk down pinky to index finger on frets 5,4,3,2 and then 5, 4, 3 ,2 on the B string and so on. The idea is to make it all the way up and down the neck. I think it took me a few weeks to get from the low F on the low E string to the high F(13th fret) on the low string

Good luck and have fun!

5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Hello and welcome to TDPRI. Enjoy your journey to become a guitar player. Lots of practice will get you there.

6. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

Welcome to the forum.
    Learning to play for me at least, there was never a big AH-HA moment but a lot of little victories along the way.

7. Caedarn

Caedarn TDPRI Member

It sort of did for me way back when I was taking lessons as a kid. Practicing and playing was a total chore, and I would have quit taking lessons if my mother hadn't made me go ;). But then it came together, seemingly overnight. I couldn't play 'well' by any stretch, but I could at least play. So practicing - and playing - went from being a chore to being something enjoyable.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    howardlo and M2roadwarrior like this.
  8. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Welcome!

9. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Welcome! There maybe a click moment for you as there was one for me (after many years of playing) in that eventually you may start to hear notes, or keys others are playing in, every now and again I know what my favorite artists are doing! I will hear it on the radio etc and run to my acoustic and see if I’m right and once in a while I am! This is a great feeling!

10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. You are not only building strength, you are building endurance - and calluses!

11. icantplaywellyet

icantplaywellyet TDPRI Member

Hi Fiesta Red, here is the Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex:

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. icantplaywellyet

Thanks everyone for the encouragement :)

Because I can't play any songs yet the practice does seem to be a bit dull but I hope that at some point I'll be able to play some part of an actual song, and then I think it'll become more fun :)

Encouragement like this is exactly what I need. I might try and find an in person teacher at some point, I sort of live in a remote area so I'm not sure how easy it will be, but for now you all will be my mentors and my inspiration.

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Dan

Caedarn and Urshurak776 like this.
  13. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Yes, but you need to appreciate it when it happens...

14. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Welcome! Justin is a great starting point. Play until your hand gets tired, then put it down and go do something else for a while. I'm in a similar spot as you, just a few months ahead. I am amazed at how much I've learned in the past few months. Best of luck to you! In my limited experience, as others have said, there a lot of small a-ha moments along the way.

You just gotta practice!

howardlo likes this.
  15. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard! I love your username ... but you will have to change it in short time.

It really is a gradual thing, sometimes a little slower than you would want, but as long as you enjoy it, that is the only thing that matters. Not only that, the more you get better at it, the more you WANT to get better at. It's what I call a 'positive snowball'.

Your electrician expertise could be pretty handy in here. I have seen some threads occassionally ask about home wiring and electrical issues when amplifiers start acting up - you will be a valuable resource.

16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome! I can’t play well yet, either, and I’ve been trying for 45 years +! :D

As you can see from the (variable and often contradictory—that’s TDPRI for you) responses, the journey is different for everyone. I have had occasional mild Eureka moments, but mostly it’s been gradual progress forward, with occasional regression. If your experience is anything like mine, first you will realize people aren’t asking you to stop playing, then people will ask you to play more. Those are good days. My recommendation is to play with as many people as you have the opportunity to, and when you find the ones you click with, try to play with them more often. If they are a bit better than you (but not so much that it is dispiriting), you will stretch your skills without even realizing it.

And the best thing of all? You can play well, or you can play badly, but any day playing at any level is a good day.

howardlo and StevesBoogie like this.
  17. icantplaywellyet

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement, it definitely helps (as I listen to Clapton in my headphones LOL). I'll keep up the practice for sure, I need to get my first "milestone" under my belt...after these chords, the next chord! And then on to more.

Is 20 minutes a day normal for the start? That currently seems to be my limit before my fingers start feeling like I might "break through" the skin. I heard you want to build up the skin, but if I get a blister, I'll need to stop or it'll set back my callous creation?

Yeah I would definitely do what I could to answer electrical questions. I'm not an electrician, but in my training I did get exposure to those kinds of things. I have some degree of electronics experience too, but I haven't done anything other than some simple microcontroller projects. But I'm always happy to help!

Dan

StevesBoogie likes this.
  18. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!
    Stick at it, the early stages can get a bit tedious but its a marathon not a sprint. :)

OmegaWoods and StevesBoogie like this.
  19. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Cool. Yeah, it takes like 2 weeks of playing every day to build some callouses. Consider yourself lucky for starting on an electric. Steel string acoustics are a lot more painful for beginners.

Those 1 minute chord changes are good practice but kind of boring ;) As soon as you can try a simple beginners song. Trying to play a song will really force you to get the changes right. I guess "three little birds" is your classic beginner song there. For me it's the songs that force me to get the chords and the transitions (and the rhythm and the timing). There's tons of really easy great songs. Also getting a capo and understanding how to use it will enable you to play a ton more songs in the right key without needing barre chords (those will take a little longer to get right, but again much easier on the electric).

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Hi. :)

You came to the right place. Post often.

Play a little, every day. Learn six or eight chords and start playing whole songs. The skills generally appear, some time after the callouses.

Did I say you should play a little, every day?

:cool:

OmegaWoods likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.