1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hi Everyone, I'm new!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by icantplaywellyet, Jan 20, 2021.

1. icantplaywellyet

icantplaywellyet TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am pretty excited to improve my playing. I'm really new to guitars, I have wanted to play since I was really young, and now I am making my journey a priority. I still remember exactly where I was when I watched Crossroads on VHS for the first time as a youngster, and I remember just being in awe. I think that movie might have created the "Telecaster" bug I have :)

I have a question for folks and I'll give an analogy of my question:

When I was younger I went to trade school to become and industrial electrician. My first classes about electricity just seemed to baffle me. I was reading the words but I really didn't see how electricity worked, it just seemed like incomprehensible magic to me. One day, it just "clicked" and I had this clarity, and I understood the concept.

Does that happen on the guitar? Will I reach a point where my fingers just "do the right thing"? Practicing now it seems like sometimes they go where they are supposed to and other times they do their own thing. I know it's going to take lots of practice, but what does it feel like when you start "getting it" for the first time?

Cheers :)

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the machine!

I have always loved the Crossroads movie and I think it holds up very well. Ralphie and Steve did a great job.

Yep just keep practicing, take lessons, watch videos.. eventually your fingers will do amazing things without thinking or having to look at your hands. Its a great feeling when you can take a solo or play a song and sing and chew gum and everything all at once with ease.

We've all been there... stick with it and you've got a lifetime ahead of you to enjoy the guitar.

Hope you like it here.. take care

StevesBoogie and Blister like this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome aboard!

You won't likely have an Eureka moment. It is much more gradual than that. I would say for most of us, our abilities vary from day-to-day. Plus, you can practice a riff for a week and get it perfect, then 2 days later botch it up. It is a delicate dance between brain and fingers. You build muscle memory over time, which helps. But often I play a riff better when watching the news on TV than I can concentrating on playing or playing to music. That is muscle memory. I can come back from a week off and play amazingly well. The next day I can't play at all.

Bottom line is, the only way to get better is to play more, and perhaps take lessons. Practicing scales and arpeggios helps with finger agility and technique. Often it isn't how long you practice, but WHAT you practice. But most people notice they arrive at a level and stay there for a long time unless they push themselves to try something different - sometimes a different instrument or a different music style.

4. icantplaywellyet

Thanks for all the good advice. I just practiced A and D chord changes, and I find that I start out ok, get a bit better, and then towards the end of 20 minutes I start making more mistakes and my hand feels "tired". Hopefully hand strength will build up?

Boreas likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

6. icantplaywellyet

Those are JBE Modern T pickups. I need an amp LOL. I have one ordered, should be here soon. I don't really have any reason to plug in though, nobody here wants to listen to A and D over and over again through an amp :D

I just bought a new Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Strat and had it Plek'd. It feels easier to play than my Tele. I did my best to adjust the string height, etc on the neck, but I just think I need to have a professional look at it...or take this hardware and put it on a little better body and neck.

Boreas and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Hey... Welcome!

I was in a similar spot like maybe 6 years ago. I picked up a (an acoustic) guitar pretty late and I've never played any instrument before. Then like 4 years later I started with electric guitars. There's lots to learn. For something like chords and chord shapes, yes, your fingers will just know the right thing once you drill it in. Same for scale shapes up and down the neck. It's gonna take some time though but you can actually play some stuff pretty quickly, I think I learnt my first song in less than a month, G, C, D, Em or so...

Where exactly are you right now in your guitar playing/practice? There's a ton of resources online (I started learning from JustinGuitar's videos) but at some point you may want a real teacher...

EDIT: By the way I highly highly recommend Justin's content, his web site and videos, his song tutorials and the more structured lessons. It's gonna take patience but he covers everything you need to know from beginner through intermediate. That said, again, at some point good in person instruction is probably important.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    OmegaWoods likes this.
  8. icantplaywellyet

Hi ghostchord, thanks for the feedback. Yep right now I'm using Justin Guitar. Sometimes I can do pretty well on the A and D changes and do over 30 of them in a minute and hit most of them. But sometimes it's like I'm "off" a bit. I might not be able to quite do the same. Justin's video says I should be hitting "at least" 30 changes per minute before I move on to the next stage of the lessons. I'm definitely down to do some in person at some point. I wonder if there are teachers doing remote lessons right now...I'm so new at this point that one of my fingers feels a bit like it's getting a blister. I don't have that protective layer of skin built up yet. I'm looking forward to moving onto the next step in the training material :)

9. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Welcome aboard. Great bunch of folks here. Keep your nose to the grindstone. Always remember some days are better than others. I'm 67 years old and I just started learning this month. I am taking lessons because I don't know squat. Above All Else remember it's supposed to be fun!!!

10. MrDeafeningGuitar

MrDeafeningGuitar TDPRI Member

Welcome!

11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For me it’s like video games. It’s hard then you plateau then boom. Levels. So yes but there are multiple levels of “AHA”.

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Welcome! I'm excited for you. It's a great journey and there's always more to learn. Enjoy!

13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI :)

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Howdy and Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas...

I’d love to see your Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster—if I were to replace my Strat, that model would be high on the “consideration list.”

You will have epiphanies and plateaus (and the occasional valley), but if you keep at it and work towards specific goals, you’ll be able to progress.

I’ve been playing for 30 years (and I’m in the middle of an expansion of knowledge, writing more songs than usual due to the pandemic), and I am still trying...just keep moving, and it will happen.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  15. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

Welcome to TDPRI!:)

16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! Don't get discouraged....keep it fun!

howardlo likes this.
  17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It does click - piece at a time.

Welcome.

18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to TDPRI :)

19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
    Keep playing. Have fun. You will get it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.