Hi all

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Si G X, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Hi all, friendly tele player from the UK. :)

It's been a fairly recent love for me, I've played a lot of different guitars over the last 30 years but I'd never really fully bonded with any guitar I'd owned and I've always felt in a state of flux trying to find the right guitar. For some reason I'd never owned a telecaster

I've always like the fender neck set up, the flatter neck angle, the narrower nut, smaller fretboard radius and the necks on any fender style guitar always seemed suit my hands and playing style better ..... always loved the big fender headstock and the 6 inline tuners too.... but the sound and vibe I always wanted was that of a Gibson LP junior with a single bridge p90 and a volume and tone.

I've always modded stuff and done all my own repairs and set up, so the obvious answer was to build something myself. I don't have the room/workshop/tools to do that from scratch, so I started thinking about a parts build I could pull off on the kitchen table with hand tools.

Last Christmas I got a single pickup Cabronita style body from a UK supplier (not sure what the rules are here but I expect you know the place) I decided to pull the trigger when I found out that a TV Jones T90 pickup would fit in the filtertron route. So I wouldn't have to worry about trying to modify the pickup cavity for a P90. I stained it worn red like my favourite looking Juniors, did a tung-oil finish and made a JR-ish pickguard out of some thin plywood stained black. a couple of speed knobs and I was done. Most of the other parts are off other guitars I had or out of the parts drawer. ;)

The neck is a 24" short scale off a Squier jagmaster II which is a conversion neck of sorts, it still needed some modification to work (narrowing of the heel and shortening buy about half an inch to make it intonate correctly) so it now has a little over hang on the fret board like a 22 strat, which worked out great. I always loved this neck, so it's pretty perfect I just sprayed the headstock black to give it a gibson vibe.

It's been pretty much the only guitar I've played for a year now and I love it so much, I've seen a few similar guitars online since but none quite like mine, especially as it's shortscale. The TV Jones T-90 sounds great, it was quite a gamble as it was the most expensive part of the build and I'm far from rich. Excluding the neck and parts that I already had it probably cost me around £250, which I think is good for a one off that suits me perfectly. It might look a bit cack to some, but I love it. The only thing I've changed since these pictures is I put black screws in the pickguard.

I just got myself another cabronita body from the reject site in the black friday sale, so I'll be building myself a back up number 2 over the winter, I'll probably go for a cheap roswell filtertron this time though because I need to cut costs a little on this build, although if work gets a bit better later next year (I'm self employed) it will probably be replaced by another TV Jones at some point. IMG_20190215_100834.jpg IMG_20190215_100854.jpg IMG_20190215_100909.jpg IMG_20190215_100925.jpg

2. 650thunderbird

650thunderbird Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Welcome :)

Si G X likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Greetings from across the pond

It’s kind of frowned upon but I enjoy the big headstocks as well

Si G X likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Howdy from the tele afflicted in Texas! Welcome aboard!

nojazzhere and Si G X like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!
    Cool guitar!

Si G X likes this.
  6. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

Si G X likes this.
  7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

Si G X likes this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. :)

Big and curvy .... the perfect headstock. :D

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome. Nice looking Tele!

Si G X likes this.
  10. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Hello from Nevada

Si G X likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

That really is reminiscent of a LP JR......and I LIKE it! ;)

Si G X likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.