HH Teles - American Standard or Player Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nosuch, Jun 4, 2020.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I'm playing with the idea of adding a HH telecaster. I love the neck of my american standard tele so I started to watch for a used AS telecaster with 'buckers. Now the players series seems to have inherited most of the features from the AS + coil split. Is it good, do you like the pickups?

2. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’d go PS. If you handle a wee bit of fret end dressing you’ll end up with basically the same guitar for much less.
    Check out find assets website to compare the components and you’ll see that they’re basically the same. Only difference is the feel of the neck

nosuch likes this.
  3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

How would you describe the difference in feel of the neck?

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Another option... pick your neck and body separately. That's how I've been doing it. I have a few Tele Players (SS and HH) with Fender MIA necks, some American Professional, some American Special.

The HH bodies have the rear contour cut, which I always appreciate when I can get it.

As for Fender American bodies vs. Fender MIM, I'm not that particular - finding the MIM bodies quite nice. Since I don't find much difference between the MIA and MIM bodies, I choose by the finish/color that I love. Then I usually add an American Pro or American Performer neck of choice. (Stratosphere is my provider.). And bridge, pickups, and electronics as suit my preference.

The Tidepool HH Player body and American Special rosewood neck, for example:

This one has a Gretsch Hi-Lo'tron neck pickup and a Fender CS Strat Fat '50s bridge pickup.
    [​IMG]

navigate40 likes this.
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

the mim necks are not rounded .. and I hate that ... otherwise they're fine guitars

tele12 likes this.
  6. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve noticed that www.Stratosphereparts.com seems stripped bare lately. I guess with so many guys stuck at home with nothing else to do they all decided to build a guitar! Also if anything good shows up you have to be quick, it disappears fast. Haha

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i have an sx one that i'm into.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Get the MIM and then put in some good pickups of your own choosing. I've heard Fender humbuckers aren't anything to write home about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.